Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Spelling Help for 2nd - 3rd Grade

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi I'm a 1st year homeschooling we are in our 7th week of schooling. Let me list my curriculum, before I ask the help:

Phonics: Explode the Code

Spelling: I'm using K12reader.com lists (my 3rd grader is using 2nd grade list)

Language Arts: 1st language lessons (grammar) and Write with Ease

Math: MUS

History: SOTW

Science: BJU with tons of videos and worksheets

Ok, so I started homeschooling bc my 9 year old last year was going to FAIL after many attempts to get help in public school which she never got help w programs or anything. She was at 2nd grade, 2nd semester reading, and poor handwriting. Well her handwriting is night and day- I can actually READ it so I know what I'm doing to help her. Well using K12reader list at 2nd grade (since I feel Im doing catch up from public school and figured I could help her in summer with just spelling and language arts.) Well the lists have 16 WORDS- I thought that was alot, but a early educator and homeschooling mom said that sounded right. Since week 2 or 3, she started getting words wrong on her spelling test - I've been adding them to her next weeks list then go down the list from the next weeks words. Then, I found spellingcity and she has been doing amazing from 9 words wrong, we went to 3 words wrong. Well today was her pretest and she got 13/16 WRONG. Our spelling routine for the week is this:

Monday: Pretest, and then 3-5x each, and writing in sentence

Tues: SpellCity teach me the words, and 2 games

Wed: SpellCity 2 games

Thurs: abc and any other games they havent done

Fri: Test

Questions:

1- Is 16 words too much?

2- Any thoughts on supplementing something else (I can not afford all about spelling, so please dont offer that :/ )

3- Anyone heard and used ClickNKids Spelling? It says its a whole curriculum for up to 5th grade and thought maybe I can use that alone or to supplement?

Thank you for the help on your advice! I am thinking about using Soaring w Spelling w supplement last yr or I can start income tax time. Money is really tight atm.

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Replies (11-17):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM

We love All About Spelling. And like Jinx said - only 10 words.
What I found works for us... I will give a "pre run" through the new words the day we start a "step", after we've reviewed the words from previous lessons, just to kind of gauge how much time we'll likely be spending on that particular step. If she does great, we go through the whole step in a day or two, finish it, and move on. If she struggles a little, then we stay on it for the week and go over the "more words" section if it has one. Instead of spelling tests (which I guess you coud technically do at the end of each lesson), there are sentence dictations, which also incorporate previous lessons

krysxo
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM

If I could afford it, I would do aas.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I've used ClickNKids for both reading and spelling.  My son (age 6 almost 7) liked it, but IMO it really didn't do much (he's a pretty good speller naturally).  I don't use it any more. 

If I was going to spend any money at all, I'd would get Spelling Power by Adams-Gordon.  It's expensive (about $40) but it covers all words from Kindergarten through College -- so you never have to buy another spelling curriculum.  The approach is different from the give list, study list, test list.  It's a five,  five, five approach all based  on "rules."  You don't give them the list.  Instead you give them the rule and then test for five minutes.  If they miss words, there are study sheets that they work on for five minutes (covering oral, aural, tactile, etc. forms of memorization).  Then there is five minutes of additional activities to help "set" the words.  It's worked wonders for my daughter who is NOT a good speller by nature, and our six-year-old enjoys it. 

Even if you don't get this book, you might try a different approach if she's missing a lot of words anyway -- figure out the rule for the words, teach the rule, test first, and only review the ones she misses -- and limit the time. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:44 AM
That's what I was thinking! We loved all about spelling. The rest of that seems like too much work. Lol

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Eek..some of y'all have little guys doing a lot of writing!

All About Spelling is my go to! It is multisensory and takes aboit 15 minutes a day and there are 10words per lesson. I started doing it with my DD in 3rd but it is designed to start in k or 1st. It is set up by spelling families or rules as well. DD is a bit advanced and DS2 is has a mild learning disability so they do it together well.

I also liked Spelling Power for a while but like OP, I added and words DS missed to his new list and it became overwhelming. One good thing from SP is a whole list of fun ways to practice spelling. I put about 20 of their suggestions on slips of paper in a jar and they grab one a day.

My DS hated spellingcity.com He usually likes online games so I thought it would be fun...HATED it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:47 AM
If you *wanted* AAS, I'd recommend checking the homeschool classified websites. And if you have an iPad, skip the letter tiles and get an app for $2.99 called I speak word wizard. Or, make your own letter tiles like I did. Cost about $5 for the magnet paper.
I didn't see you had said not to recommend AAS in your original post, I apologize. But I do love it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:08 AM
AAS is not that expensive. You can find it on enay or curriculum swaps.
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I do a more rule based approach to reading and spelling. "All About Spelling" is the type of spelling my kids do. 

The amount of spelling words seems like it would be dependent on the child themselves. I personally can struggle with my memory when bogged down with too much info at once.

Some kids need a lot of activities to help remember information. Some kids like to keep it simple. 

A lot of this just depends on your childs preference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN