Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

should I have a curriculum for my two yr old?

Posted by   + Show Post
It seems like a lot of people are posting on fb and everywhere I look that their two yr. Olds are already saying all their alphabet, their shapes etc. I am a stay at home mom and we plan on homeschooling him. I do not want him to already be behind! We have a farm and are a very active family, so he is outside a lot and interacts with animals really well. He is not great at sitting for long and doesnt show an interest in drawing or crafts. But am not starting him early enough? Thanks for any help!
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
LongBeachLiz
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Just turned 2 and about to turn 3 two year old is very different in ability. Play and interaction is way more learning than a workbook. Let him.learn at his own pace. I promise he won't be 10 and not know his alphabet.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Just sing the alphabet and play looking for letters and shape and colors games.  But I do not think a 2 year old needs curriculum.  You are doing great.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I feel your pain, my dd did not like shoes so she had the habit of flushing them...have no idea how she did it considering the shoes would float. She must have been determined. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yeah. At 2, while my son knew those things, if I had presented him with a formal curriculum, he would have taken to his other favorite hobby and thrown it in the toilet (along with the cell phones and other misc crap he always threw in there, lol).

Toddlers need to play. They need to learn how to listen, how to find their own voice, how to pee on the potty (2 is even young for that!) - not any academics that they aren't naturally inclined to learn. I have the feeling my current babe (17 months) isn't going to be quite the academic his brother is - he strikes us as more the athletic one (you know, bouncing off couches and the like...).

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

LOL.. I'm just saying it's the internet..I don't trust everyone!

I know toddlers can know that stuff. I just doubt those parents who make it seem a little too unbelievable.

If you told me that about your kid, I would believe you because I've read your posts and things like that.

I guess I dislike it when parents make new parents or new homeschoolers believe they must have a premium boxed curriculum for a toddler.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

A toddler who knows his/her letters and shapes isn't uncommon or harvard worthy - nothing to doubt, lol.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Sometimes when parents say thier toddlers are practically ready for Harvard, I doubt thier unbiased honesty!

Your kid sounds fine to me...actually he seems to have more social interaction than some kids. 

It's never too early to start learning. But I wouldn't buy a boxed curriculum for a kid that age.

Go to the dollar tree and buy some workbooks on letters, shapes, colors...that sort of thing. And read daily and you'll be fine. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 12:20 PM

What is it with kids and toilets?! My babe is going through it now. We've lost a zhu zhu pet and a digital book mark in the past 48 hours (oh, and q-tips - he flushes those).

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I feel your pain, my dd did not like shoes so she had the habit of flushing them...have no idea how she did it considering the shoes would float. She must have been determined. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yeah. At 2, while my son knew those things, if I had presented him with a formal curriculum, he would have taken to his other favorite hobby and thrown it in the toilet (along with the cell phones and other misc crap he always threw in there, lol).

Toddlers need to play. They need to learn how to listen, how to find their own voice, how to pee on the potty (2 is even young for that!) - not any academics that they aren't naturally inclined to learn. I have the feeling my current babe (17 months) isn't going to be quite the academic his brother is - he strikes us as more the athletic one (you know, bouncing off couches and the like...).

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I know toddlers can know that stuff. I just doubt those parents who make it seem a little too unbelievable.

If you told me that about your kid, I would believe you because I've read your posts and things like that.

I guess I dislike it when parents make new parents or new homeschoolers believe they must have a premium boxed curriculum for a toddler.  

Quoting AutymsMommy:

A toddler who knows his/her letters and shapes isn't uncommon or harvard worthy - nothing to doubt, lol.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Sometimes when parents say thier toddlers are practically ready for Harvard, I doubt thier unbiased honesty!

Your kid sounds fine to me...actually he seems to have more social interaction than some kids. 

It's never too early to start learning. But I wouldn't buy a boxed curriculum for a kid that age.

Go to the dollar tree and buy some workbooks on letters, shapes, colors...that sort of thing. And read daily and you'll be fine. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Because it looks like magic. "Push that button and it goes bye bye!"

Everyone loves magic.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What is it with kids and toilets?! My babe is going through it now. We've lost a zhu zhu pet and a digital book mark in the past 48 hours (oh, and q-tips - he flushes those).

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I did do a ready made preschool kit for my DD when she was 2 but that's because I was pregnant and didn't want to do my own work.  Just wanted to pull it out and be able to do it.

I'd focus more on reading to them, doing puzzles, arts and crafts, games etc.  Music is really important too.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

You two have me cracking up!!!  But we have a composting toilet (no flushing, no magic) and they STILL throw stuff in there.  Last year we found the frowny Fisher Price Person when we started throwing the compost around the orchard.  He went the whole way through the compst process (and was NOT happy about it!).  I'd like to know what is up with kids and toilets too!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Because it looks like magic. "Push that button and it goes bye bye!"

Everyone loves magic.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I have had one of those super advanced toddlers....so mine is going to make most look like that aren't doing enough.  My DD knew every letter by sight and the sound it made by 19 mos old.  She was "trying to read" by 2.  She figured it out before she turned 4.  I say NO to a curriculum.  BTW my DD wanted to know this stuff, she would beg me to play the letter puzzle with her and ask what it was and I would say the sound of the letter too.  We had other things we used like Leap Frog's Talking Letter Factory....she was in LOVE with TAD and wanted to watch him over and over again.  She was also learning her numbers and now looking back at videos of her...she was counting before she was 2.  None of this was traditional learning for her...it was all done through play and her access to learning designed toys.  Just be patient....and the best advice you will ever get is to follow your child's lead.  If he wants to count the animals then count the animals, if he wants to know what letter sheep starts with "s".  Have fun with it and he will too!!!

Heather112611
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Thanks for all of your help everyone! We do read to him and sing the alphabet song as well as loads of play. He turns two at the end of the month so I want to make sure I am doing everything I can. I know that he is a very athletic kid, he is already climbing the 6 foot gates in the barn and rides the horses and donkeys. Thanks again everyone!
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:12 AM

O geeze no. Since you live on a farm, why not have him count animals, or do a letter of the day, and while doing things around the farm, see if he can spot things that start with that letter? He's going to learn so much through play right now. With my little guy, he was a year old and knew his letter sounds, and visually knew which letter went to that sound, but didn't know letter names until he was 2 1/2....BUT I played a TON of games with him while his big sister was in K (I was also trying to cope that my "baby" was starting school lol and this is before we started homeschooling), and when he was 6 months, the only thing on the TV for background noise was the Leap Frog letter Factory movie. We had letter and number scavanger hunts all the time... and still do sometimes lol. We've moved mostly on to word hunts now.
Something else I did last year with my Little Guy, we walked around outside and collected a bunch of things that started with the letter we were working on for the day, so for instance, "S" was sticks, stones, seeds, etc, "C" was candy, chalk, cotton (I hid some stuff outside every once in awhile), and then we created the letter out of those items on the driveway.

To be honest, I wouldn't have gotten a curriculum for my Little Guy (now 4 year old) this year, except that he asked for it because he wanted to do "real school" like his sister lol. Aside from doing one or two math worksheets a day, and the same spelling program she's using just at an easier level...we're still doing almost everything else through play, and probably will for another year or two yet before school for him becomes much more formal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)