Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

should I have a curriculum for my two yr old?

Posted by   + Show Post
It seems like a lot of people are posting on fb and everywhere I look that their two yr. Olds are already saying all their alphabet, their shapes etc. I am a stay at home mom and we plan on homeschooling him. I do not want him to already be behind! We have a farm and are a very active family, so he is outside a lot and interacts with animals really well. He is not great at sitting for long and doesnt show an interest in drawing or crafts. But am not starting him early enough? Thanks for any help!
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 7:54 AM
Replies (21-24):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Lololol What? I can't hear you! Yell louder ;)

Quoting kyfiregirl:

IM WORKING ON SHAPES AND COLORS AND SOUNDS OPPOSITES AND JUST READING WITH HER AND PRETEND PLAY. OF COURSE SHE WENT FOR HER CHECK UP AND PEDI SAID SHE SHOULD BE SAYING 75 OR MORE WORDS AND JUMPING AND HOPING AND KICKING BALLS AND APPARENTLY I NEED TO WORK WITH HER ON STUFF LIKE TELLING ME WHAT PICTURES ARE AND STACKING BLOCKS UP TO 4 HIGH AND OTHER FINE MOTOR I DIDNT THINK ABOUT! arg sorry for caps

monkeybunns
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM

2 things-I wouldn't worry so much either way having a curriculum or not.  Do what works for your family.  In my experience when you post something about a young kiddo learning you'll have two opposite ends of the spectrum-those that are VERY anti teaching your kid to read or anything until they're 7 or 8 (I call them the sunshine and rainbow folk because of a link they always post that's all about just playing outside all day and blah blah blah-I'm not saying this in a rude way at all I'm just saying they're all about doing nature stuff and not focusing at all on reading or anything-may work for some but not for all) and then there's those that think you need a curriculum.  I kinda fall between and I get criticized a lot because I do have really bright kids that would be super bored if we did the sunshine and rainbow approach because they've both WANTED to learn to read about 2 1/2.  If you want to introduce letters you don't need a formal curriculum.  Our favorites are the Leap Frog Letter Factory movie (that one really is the best of their introducing letters one because it does letter sounds which segways in to learning to read whenever your kiddo is ready) and having magnetic letters on the fridge and maybe some animals or something that you can talk about beginning sounds and match animals to what they start with.  We like to count but we do that in things we do-counting toys, etc.  Another activity I like to do that is more "formal" I guess (I really do like to have a little time that we do learning things like read books and stuff each day if possible) is do a letter of the week and have a "letter box" that we look at.  The letter box was my idea but I do use Confessions of a Homeschooler's blog, 1+1+1=1 's blog, and letteroftheweek.com for ideas of themes and some printable activities and I also do coloring sheets with the letter if my kiddo is interested on some days.  So here's a blog post I did on letter boxes: http://monkeybunnsmama.blogspot.com/2010/08/letter-boxes.html and we do do Tot school but it's very relaxed.  With the letter box I take a letter like A and get a shoe box and put things that start with A (preferably toys and stuff but some pictures are ok-it makes it really fun if it's toys they recognize or an actual apple or whatever) inside and then we explore it.  I then read the Alphatales A book and then we read a couple books based on our theme.  We started doing this around 18 months and spend anywhere from 10-45 minutes based on what my kiddo wants to do really doing "work" but it's not like I'm sitting him at a desk and forcing him to sit there at all (we generally did it on the couch).  We'd often have a treat at least once a week to go along with our letter-a we did apple slices that I put in a bag and shook cinnamon and sugar on them.  This post has a bunch of links of things we used: http://monkeybunnsmama.blogspot.com/2010/08/beginning-our-tot-school-2010-2011.html  The blog was based on my first son's experience.  My second son sits in with us on school and I battled hyperemesis so we didn't get to do a lot of the same activities but are using All About Reading Pre-level with him which has all of our alphabet color pages as well as other things but we don't do everything it says to do and we still do the Alphatales books along with their books. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Life is your curriculum! Children need to focus on play and gross motor (adding in fine motor) for the first 6 years. An unhealthy emphasis on academics will only hinder them in other areas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kyfiregirl
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Lol

Quoting mem82:

Lololol What? I can't hear you! Yell louder ;)

Quoting kyfiregirl:

IM WORKING ON SHAPES AND COLORS AND SOUNDS OPPOSITES AND JUST READING WITH HER AND PRETEND PLAY. OF COURSE SHE WENT FOR HER CHECK UP AND PEDI SAID SHE SHOULD BE SAYING 75 OR MORE WORDS AND JUMPING AND HOPING AND KICKING BALLS AND APPARENTLY I NEED TO WORK WITH HER ON STUFF LIKE TELLING ME WHAT PICTURES ARE AND STACKING BLOCKS UP TO 4 HIGH AND OTHER FINE MOTOR I DIDNT THINK ABOUT! arg sorry for caps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)