Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for social activities for my homeschooler....he's 12 and bored out of his mind!!

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

We are new to homeschool/virtual school and I'm looking for social activities for my son to participate in. I'm sure there are groups/organizations that meet up for this purpose but don't know where to look for them. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Have you looked at yahoo groups for local groups?  I would also check at your local library.  Where are you located?  

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Usually the virtual schools have meetups pretty regularly, and are even required to have so many face-to-face meetings. Could you ask his "teacher" if there are any locally? I know the virtual school here in Ohio has things going on all.the.time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM

Some zoos, museums & community centers offer classes & activity's just for homescoolers. The public library can be a great resource if they offer activity's & programs for children, even after school ones can be utilized by homeschoolers.

MotoStar
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Generally, your homeschooler can also participate in public school activities in your resident town. My homeschooler goes to an after school play group once a week to hang out with other kids.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What State are you in.  Florida has a large group of connected high school students that you can locate through the State Home School association (Florida Parent Educator Association).  All States have such associations, but some are larger than others. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Check local libraries, museums and other community rec centers to see if they have "homeschool days".  I know our zoo and many theaters and museums around here have days that are designated as homeschool days, you might meet other homeschoolers there.

Check yahoo groups to see if there are homeschool groups in your area.

Music lessons, sports, community plays, volunteering, boy scouts, science clubs, chess clubs, book clubs, DIY clubs, etc

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

If you are virtual schooling with K12, the one we belonged to a very long time ago got local users together for field trips.   (you mentioned virtual school, so that was just a guess)..  Other virtual programs might have that set up as well... maybe on their website??

Otherwise, google homeschool groups and your city/town and see what comes up.   Sometimes it takes a little looking.

We are in a group that offers teen classes (like college prep writing courses, advanced maths and sciences, foreign languages, art classes, etc..)   plus smaller field trip groups, Choir , art, drama, band, etc...

Each thing costs, and belonging to the group costs a minimal amount each year.   It's well worth it.   We wish we could do it all, but we cannot.

Otherwise, my kids belong to a pretty big church with lots of kids programs and a local group offers sewing.   One of my kids does baseball, too, through the athletic club.

Also, they do stuff with the library.   Our library offers a book club for 4th-6th graders and story time, crafts, and lego club.

There is also usually a 4-H group around, some people are joining Lego Robotics (or some other robotics) clubs.

Many of your local museums, science centers, etc... offer home school days.

hollyomer
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Wow, thank you for all of the suggestions!! You've given me a great place to start. We are in Tampa, FL. Thanks again.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN