Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can everyone succeed in homeschooling

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM
  • 21 Replies
Seriously, I've considered it. But I don't know if I can be successful. The reason I wonder is I don't really enjoy reading and I just don't like a schedule
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PaisleynPresley
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Oh, since I'm on the fence and I do decide to but don't do a good job, if have to put them in school and then what if they are behind. I don't want to do my girls a disservice. I wonder if if be better just being mom.

Quoting PaisleynPresley:

Seriously, I've considered it. But I don't know if I can be successful. The reason I wonder is I don't really enjoy reading and I just don't like a schedule

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM
2 moms liked this

To answer the title question: I personally do not think it is for everyone. 

To answer your post: I don't think anyone here can really tell you if it is right for your family or not. 

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:43 PM
What do yoy consider successful?
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:45 PM
2 moms liked this

How old are your children? Trying it for the first few years (Pre K - 1ST) wont hurt them if you find it to difficult for you & have to put them in public school!

I beleave that anyone that has the desire to homeschool can do it, but if you don't realy want to do it you will fail at it just like you would fail at anything you don't put your all into!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that you could do it and be successful, even if you don't like reading or a schedule. I hate Math with a passion but my daughter is advanced in it and we're succeeding. 8)

Momtothe4
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I've been wondering almost the SAME thing!!i don't homeschool an I like it in theory, but just don't know about it being a reality! There is a lady I know who says you have to be ORGANIZED----which I am not lol.
My kids are fairly young and I don't want to fail and then put them in school behind their peers!!! I don't want to get burnt out either!!! When I think of 13 plus years OMG.
Thanks for your post. Sorry I hijacked it lol!
Knightquester
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, no every single person won't succeed.  Can or will everyone succeed in public school, no.  It's not that everybody (or at least most) don't have the ability to succeed, it's that not everybody will due to a lot of varying factors.  Now, do I believe most that homeschool will successfully navigate their children through schooling and create adults that can function in society and the workforce, yes just as I think most that public school can do just as much.

Most of us school for various reasons, but the main one usually boils down to it is what is best for our children.  Yes, homeschool children have just as much chance at being successful adults as any public schooled child.  In some ways they may even have more of a chance if schooled in the right way for them because they aren't being held to the standards or pace of a classroom, they aren't busy living up to the expectations of their peers or worrying about what their peers think, they can concentrate on school when they are doing school.

I really don't spend my time worrying over something I won't know until my children are adults, which is "did I do a good enough job".  I'll leave that for the future me that is sitting back all grey haired and wrinkled in her rocking chair knitting whatever and thinking back on the type of adults I've raised.  I have enjoyed the journey of raising my children thus far and will continue to.  The type of people they are now are amazing, and in fact I've been surprised at times at how great they are.  They are little social butterflies with so many different and wonderful friends, they do so well in school and most importantly they love to learn.  At this point looking at my children and assessing the job I've done, so far they are awesome and I'm proud, that to me is what counts.

If you decide to homeschool and dislike reading then you might be better off either choosing a pre-built curriculum with everything put together that you can just give to your children, or having them do more online school work using programs that can read things out loud to them and assess their progress.  I'll be honest regardless if you homeschool, public school or even private school your children, you'll always wonder if you're doing the right thing, if your children will grow to be successful in life.  It's a fear and worry that plagues all parents.  I wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide :-)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Everyone will not succeed, but homeschooling like just about everything else is successful based on what you put into it.

If you do not like schedules you can unschool.

If you choose to homeschool and you put in time and effort and your children do also then no matter what kind of course you follow you can successfully teach your children.
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:16 PM

What do you forsee homeschool looking like?

Have you looked into what it looks like for other families - and could you see yourself doing any of it?

(google "homeschool blogs", look at some homeschool pinterest boards, look at homeschoolers on youtube... learn about the basics of homeschooling, the different methods and styles used).  

How do you expect to deal with your own lack of interest in reading?

I will say that being weak or not favoring an area of homeschooling / education, isnt always something that should deter you from homeschooling all together. There is excellent resources available to help. Also, to learn and improve your own self in those areas is a wonderful thing as well.

Some homeschoolers do not use a schedule. So that might not be an issue. However, I am curious what exactly you mean by not liking schedules?! I personally, believe that at least SOME discipline is required to homeschool.

You DO need to be mindful that if for ANY reason you need to put your children into public school (it can happen for all kinds of reasons), they at least need to be somewhat on par. 

Quoting PaisleynPresley:

Oh, since I'm on the fence and I do decide to but don't do a good job, if have to put them in school and then what if they are behind. I don't want to do my girls a disservice. I wonder if if be better just being mom.

Quoting PaisleynPresley:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM

We don't have a set schedule either. Well except for science (Netflix) first thing in the morning. After that we do whatever the kids feel like doing. We usually manage to hit all the subjects during the week. If not, the month. Sometimes they get suck on a subject and we just run with it. Ds LOVES science. I know we're doing okay because I see progress. That's all that matters to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN