Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can everyone succeed in homeschooling

Seriously, I've considered it. But I don't know if I can be successful. The reason I wonder is I don't really enjoy reading and I just don't like a schedule
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I believe that anyone who really wants to can succeed at homschooling but at the same time, it's not for everyone.

PresleynPaisley
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Sorry everyone I'm mobile more then I am on my PC. For some reason cafemom wouldn't let me back on with my email and password so I created a new one and switched my girls' names up. Thanks for all responses.

My girls are 6&7. When I think of successful homeschooling I just see a lot of learning and mild mannered kids. I'm laid back in the parenting department and my girls know that. I don't get upset about messes or if they didn't clean up their toys or eat all their veggies etc.
but I'm not "in charge" of their education as far as school. I'm just "mom" and I enjoy that
I am aware of if I failed at homeschooling that they would be behind and I don't want that at all! I don't want my fresh 6 year old not reading fluently til age ten or something.
I hope I answered everyone's questions. I'm mobile and makes it hard to quote
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

No matter what their style: classic, eclectic, unschool, religious, or secular, most of the women I've met (here or at hs programs) are extremely passionate about what they do.  You'll do a fine job if hs is your passion.  If you're extremely nervous I would recommend volunteering at school.  This is our first hs year, but I volunteered in math, writing, reading, special projects, etc., before this.  It really boosted my confidence and gave me all sorts of ideas I wouldn't have had on my own.  

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I do not think it's for everyone.  Just like college is not for everyone, having kids is not for everyone and desk jobs are not for everyone, KWIM?

With that said, I think those who choose to homeschool have good days and bad days (or weeks or months).  Overall, I personally feel that if there is a long period of time where it's just not working for me or my kids then we will have to seriously evaluate our other options.

As with any parent, I try to find what I think is best for my child.

Now, as a parent educator I would say that your knowledge/education level is not a predictor of your child's ability to learn.  You can learn along with them and there are lots of great tools out there to help you.

A strict schedule is not necessary.  There are so many ways to do the same thing.

I for one, do not like to do lots of research, which is why I like actual programs.  I am not one to sit down on my own and find things for my kids to do...nope, I need tools like Handwriting Without Tears that has an actual plan laid out for me, with actual workbooks and lesson plans. I don't always follow it 100%, I taylor it to my child's ability but I need a plan.

How old are your kids?

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Have you considered a program like K12 that is more laid out for you?

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I believe anyone can if they have the right material and are willing to sacrifice a lot of free time. It takes patience and emotional strength sometimes. I love teaching, but that's me. I grew up homeschooled and it just feels right. My kids enjoy it and we're done in 3-4 hours.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:25 PM
You can learn to love reading. I hated math and science but after 7 years of honeschooling I absolutely love them. Everyone is able to homeschool but not everyone wants to homeschool. Organization and schedules are not the basis of honeschooling. Homeschooling can be made to fit you. The question is really if you want to homeschool. It is ok if you don't. Just stay involved in their education.
PaisandPres
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Ok, it's me...again. I swear I'm not a troll but think got my account fixed.
I do want to homeschool. I just don't know if I'm capable. And I really don't want to fail and send them back to school behind!
I don't like to read. I enjoy doing activities with my girls but I am not sure If I would enjoy reading, writing, math, everyyyyyyythinnnnggggg. I'm really on the fence.
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:19 PM
They are still so young. Honestly learning through play is the best way. Play with eachothet. Educational games, field trips etc. See if you can find other homeschooling groups in yout area, there may be co-ops etc. You can join and get support from. Lots of books too. :)

Quoting PresleynPaisley:

Sorry everyone I'm mobile more then I am on my PC. For some reason cafemom wouldn't let me back on with my email and password so I created a new one and switched my girls' names up. Thanks for all responses.

My girls are 6&7. When I think of successful homeschooling I just see a lot of learning and mild mannered kids. I'm laid back in the parenting department and my girls know that. I don't get upset about messes or if they didn't clean up their toys or eat all their veggies etc.

but I'm not "in charge" of their education as far as school. I'm just "mom" and I enjoy that

I am aware of if I failed at homeschooling that they would be behind and I don't want that at all! I don't want my fresh 6 year old not reading fluently til age ten or something.

I hope I answered everyone's questions. I'm mobile and makes it hard to quote

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Yes, and i find that sometimes i am learning right along with my kids.

Quoting jen2150:

You can learn to love reading. I hated math and science but after 7 years of honeschooling I absolutely love them. Everyone is able to homeschool but not everyone wants to homeschool. Organization and schedules are not the basis of honeschooling. Homeschooling can be made to fit you. The question is really if you want to homeschool. It is ok if you don't. Just stay involved in their education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN