Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do homeschoolers have the advantage when it comes to extracurricular activities?

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 30 Replies

Cole won a prize at Cub Scouts tonight in our cake bake. He worked on his castle cake all day. It got me thinking. He planned and prepared that cake all today. We didn't have to worry about working it in between going to school or my job. The other kids had to rush home from school and get it done. Or they had to cheat, I suppose, and let their moms do the cake. 

What if it was sports or spelling words. We can design our life around it. Heck, even if we don't cut short our school days for it, we still have plenty of extra time because we don't have to travel to go to school. Our kids can look it over while munching lunch or whatever. Not sit in a cafeteria and worry that they won't get it done.

Do you think sometimes we homeschoolers have an unfair advantage? Do you think public schoolers think that?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Unfair..no
Advantage..sometimes

Everyone makes what they think is important a priority. A homeschooling family is able to do more because we are on our schedule, not anyone else's.
LavenderMom23
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:02 PM
It's definitely an advantage to schedule things according to our family's needs and wants.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:07 PM
I agree it is an advantage but it is not unfair.
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I do not think it is an unfair advantage! Yes I think that public schoolers do think that! Public schoolers parents chose to send them there! I know some of them believe they don't have options but where there is a will there is a way! I know single parents that work full time jobs that manage to homescool their children! Choosing public school or homeschool gives you different options & different situations! So as homeschoolers you can be more focused on something because you have better control of your time, as public school kids maybe you have access to better equipment & materials because the school hasa larger budget! It is a trade off!

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I work and homeschool, so my time is more limited. My kids have a shorter school day than public school kids , and therefore have more "free time". They wouldnt be allowed to work on cub scout projects during "school time". So there would be no "all day" working on that unless it was a weekend.  

As for fair... fair to what? Are the projects competitive or something? (sorry but I dont know much about cub scouts). If you just mean is the time relative to each other... likely no.

However, there are a lot of different home lives. Some public school parents are single and juggling multiple jobs. Some are stay at home moms. Some are working and going to school. The same can all be true of homeschooling moms as well. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:19 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe many of us do have an "unfair" advantage because we schedule our lives around our interests and even our weaknesses.  I do not believe that PSers think we have an unfair advantage.  Around here they seem to pity homeschoolers because we have no friends and we don't have the same activities and opportunites as they have...LOL.  I hear it all the time....as we are sitting in the middle of a soccer banquet surrounded by friends or playing at the park with the play date group or you name it.  When they do see an advantage it is short-lived.  They mention the advantage and then quickly want to erase it from their minds.  Like....Oh you aren't getting hit up from the school for money all the time, or you guys get to eat PB&J for lunch (our school went PB free this year).  But they quickly remind themselves....But I wouldn't want my kid to be bored and lonely all the time.  Or But we like leaving the house.....HAHHAHAHA  They're too funny.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:22 AM
this

Quoting debramommyof4:

I agree it is an advantage but it is not unfair.
ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Maybe not unfair. There are schooled kids who have time, I'm sure. It is an advantage though, definitely. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Congrats to Cole!  I was reading an interesting thing about a boy in Boy Scouts whose family chooses to incorporate his badges into their curriculum, making it a point to hit those points during the day.  Some commenters were observing how unfair that was to the other boys who had "other things to do" than just earn the badges.  So clearly there's a perception of unfairness because when you homeschool you're in charge of the learning and making sure things get checked off, so it's kind of a twofer.  But is it unfair?  I think the program is another tool to help you craft your program, and for someone like me, that guidance is very much appreciated.  I want my kids to learn, I want them to be hitting the points that are important to them and as a whole, and I'm very turned off by things that tell me my kid will do sooooo much better on the test if I use their program.  So a program like the scouts, whose goal is to produce good human beings and not get them prepped for some test, I'm into it.  Let's enjoy our advantage!  :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:50 AM
We have always used Cub Scout, and now Boy Scout materials as part of our homeschooling. In Cubs, when we did science, I worked in the Science belt loop and pin. They were on a homeschool bowling league we got the loop n pin for that.

Now in Boy Scouts, for science, one is doing the Nature merit badge and the other just did Aviation. They have a mammal studies and a reptiles and amphibians MB, astronomy...you name it!

DS1 just finished Personal Management. It equated to high school economics. Eek...that was a butt kicker! LOL

For PE, they are starting Personal Fitness, a minimum 3 month merit badge.

I do the same with DD's GS stuff.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)