Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do homeschoolers have the advantage when it comes to extracurricular activities?

Posted by   + Show Post

Cole won a prize at Cub Scouts tonight in our cake bake. He worked on his castle cake all day. It got me thinking. He planned and prepared that cake all today. We didn't have to worry about working it in between going to school or my job. The other kids had to rush home from school and get it done. Or they had to cheat, I suppose, and let their moms do the cake. 

What if it was sports or spelling words. We can design our life around it. Heck, even if we don't cut short our school days for it, we still have plenty of extra time because we don't have to travel to go to school. Our kids can look it over while munching lunch or whatever. Not sit in a cafeteria and worry that they won't get it done.

Do you think sometimes we homeschoolers have an unfair advantage? Do you think public schoolers think that?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:23 AM
My son is also in Scouts and currently we are working on the Nova Awards. I use this as part of our science curriculum since I didn't buy a very good one this year for second grade. My son is only a Wolf and he has a ton of badges, belt loops, etc... Do some people think it's an unfair advantage? I certainly think so. His den leader last year was a major pain and didn't want to give Aiden his Tiger Badge because we did a lot of the Tiger book on our own. We could even prove that we had met the achievement. Personally, I think she was jealous of the time that I have to spend with Aiden and of his accomplishments in comparison to her own sons. She would constantly make comments that if we didn't slow down (on earning achievements) that he'd run out of things to do and be bored. We never ran out tho. There are tons of badges to work on, tons of electives and tons of belt loops and pins. So glad we have moved and our new pack leaders are more accepting of the way I choose to live my life.
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

That's wonderful!  Did you happen to get a picture of his cake?  

One of my ps friends is always talking about our advantages.  Her son is getting horrible grades in 4 of his classes and she keeps telling me my girls have it better.  She's incredibly bright, but doesn't help him with his homework or areas that he's hurting in.  I did (even bought the workbooks) when my girls were in ps.  I think it's like anything else, and people use it as an excuse when it's convenient.

BTW - I DO think we have an advantage over making things more interesting.  We had a great time at the Cincinnati Museum Center on Monday, meeting Veterans, and making a huge arch out of big (cushioned) blocks with six other children helping.  We've visited historic sites, and plan on doing a factory tour (maybe that Anthony Thomas chocolate factory up in Columbus) too.  There's no end to the resources we have to make learning fun and meaningful.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM
I did! Let me post one.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's wonderful!  Did you happen to get a picture of his cake?  

One of my ps friends is always talking about our advantages.  Her son is getting horrible grades in 4 of his classes and she keeps telling me my girls have it better.  She's incredibly bright, but doesn't help him with his homework or areas that he's hurting in.  I did (even bought the workbooks) when my girls were in ps.  I think it's like anything else, and people use it as an excuse when it's convenient.

BTW - I DO think we have an advantage over making things more interesting.  We had a great time at the Cincinnati Museum Center on Monday, meeting Veterans, and making a huge arch out of big (cushioned) blocks with six other children helping.  We've visited historic sites, and plan on doing a factory tour (maybe that Anthony Thomas chocolate factory up in Columbus) too.  There's no end to the resources we have to make learning fun and meaningful.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM
5 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM
I'm sorry you had such a mean den leader. 8(

Quoting chotovec82:

My son is also in Scouts and currently we are working on the Nova Awards. I use this as part of our science curriculum since I didn't buy a very good one this year for second grade. My son is only a Wolf and he has a ton of badges, belt loops, etc... Do some people think it's an unfair advantage? I certainly think so. His den leader last year was a major pain and didn't want to give Aiden his Tiger Badge because we did a lot of the Tiger book on our own. We could even prove that we had met the achievement. Personally, I think she was jealous of the time that I have to spend with Aiden and of his accomplishments in comparison to her own sons. She would constantly make comments that if we didn't slow down (on earning achievements) that he'd run out of things to do and be bored. We never ran out tho. There are tons of badges to work on, tons of electives and tons of belt loops and pins. So glad we have moved and our new pack leaders are more accepting of the way I choose to live my life.
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

That looks awesome!  He did a great job.  Congrats!

As for advantage, I think it depends on the family.  Yeah some homeschoolers have more time, but some are just as crazy busy as school kids.  We do have the advantage in that we can spend a whole school day on an activity if we want to.  Unfair, well yeah, kind of, but life isn't fair and it is just another lesson to learn.

Quoting mem82:

Mobile Photo

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Right? lol

Quoting debramommyof4:

I agree it is an advantage but it is not unfair.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Unfair advantage, no.  Advantage, sure.  Whether it's time to work on projects, or just being able to be more involved, I think our kids have the advantage.  For example - as "extracurriculars" my children are involved in: piano, choir, band, voice lessons, photography, ballet, jazz, tap, art, speech and my youngest is a part of two pageants this year.  There would be absolutely no way to do all of this if we had the typical after school/evenings to accomplish it. 

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Can have. Absolutely.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Do you think it's fair?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Can have. Absolutely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN