Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do homeschoolers have the advantage when it comes to extracurricular activities?

Posted by   + Show Post

Cole won a prize at Cub Scouts tonight in our cake bake. He worked on his castle cake all day. It got me thinking. He planned and prepared that cake all today. We didn't have to worry about working it in between going to school or my job. The other kids had to rush home from school and get it done. Or they had to cheat, I suppose, and let their moms do the cake. 

What if it was sports or spelling words. We can design our life around it. Heck, even if we don't cut short our school days for it, we still have plenty of extra time because we don't have to travel to go to school. Our kids can look it over while munching lunch or whatever. Not sit in a cafeteria and worry that they won't get it done.

Do you think sometimes we homeschoolers have an unfair advantage? Do you think public schoolers think that?

by on Nov. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Replies (21-30):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Different choices have different advantages. Yes. I think it's fair.

Quoting mem82:

Do you think it's fair?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Can have. Absolutely.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

That's fantastic!  My girls think he did a great job too.  We LOVE the drawbridge. :)

Quoting mem82:

Mobile Photo

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
He says 'thanks!' The rope is chocolate twizzlers.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's fantastic!  My girls think he did a great job too.  We LOVE the drawbridge. :)

Quoting mem82:

Mobile Photo

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I wouldn't call it unfair, but it is an advantage.  Do rich people have an advantage when it comes to buying the things they need to support their families over people who are less fortunate, yes, is it unfair that they do, no; it's life. 

Unlike being rich, homeschooling is a far easier thing to get into and it does come with many perks.  Having more time to become better in your weak areas, being able to work further ahead of your peers, having more time to work on projects and to discover your interest are just some of the advantages that homeschoolers have.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM

How clever!  We were wondering what the 'chains' were.  They look like licorice, but aren't coal black!

Quoting mem82:

He says 'thanks!' The rope is chocolate twizzlers.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting mem82:

Mobile Photo

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Nothing unfair. Anyone can homeschool. I know many public schoolers think that way. Our kids excel because they have awesome parents.
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM
The Cake looks AWESOME!
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Cole did an amazing job!!!

Advantage, yes!  Unfair, no!  My girls get the opportunity to practice their sport and are moving forward because they get the extra time in the middle of the day to go practice just because they want to and for no other reason.  My oldest has a friend that she is determined to be faster than, and she is going to accomplish it because she was outside practicing the skills that are slowing her down.  I don't think it is unfair that her friend doens't have the same advantage, but that is life....he will just have to work harder.  My youngest wants to be able to compete, but she has to finish learning the very basics....she is moving along and picking it up quick because we have the extra time to commit to it....unfair to her peers, no.

PaisandPres
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I think there are advantages but do not think its unfair
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM
If it was unfair, it would also be unfair that they get to homeschool. It's just different choices, different priorities. Kids whose parents drive them to and from school have an advantage over the kids who ride an hour to and from school also. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)