Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mock Public School Day/Week ? Anyone?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
  • 28 Replies

I am getting really fed up with my older two children (2nd and 5th grade) and their bad attitudes, complaining, whining, and just overall sense of entitlement when it comes to doing their school work. They whine, cry (yes even literal TEARS pouring down their cheeks) when I ask them to do the simplest thing. This morning (in addition to the typical "ugh!" or loud sighs I always get), when it was time for all of us to read aloud from a chapter book, the topic I introduced was the quote "Good fences make good neighbors." Then I asked if they agreed with that or not, and why. The 2nd grader said no he didn't because it didn't make any sense. Ok, I put his name down under the "no" column. The 1st grader then went on to give her response and the whole time, he's interrupting her with, "No! No! I want to change my answer!" I told him to be quiet so she could finish. She gave her answer. Then I asked the 5th grader and she said, "I don't know." I said, well just think about it, what would you say? There's no right or wrong answer. "I don't know!" she says, all flabbergasted. Really? Is it worth getting so bent out of shape? Then she buries her head and starts sobbing.

It's not just this day or this topic or this assignment. They do this with frequency! I'm so sick of it! If they don't want to do something they start off with whining, which I won't stand for and gets them put in their rooms for ten minutes. Then they turn it into actual crying, which is ridiculous.

I am considering instituting a mock public school day. Wake them up at 6:00 a.m., make them get right into their clothes, eat a fast breakfast, even drive them around in the cold for 20 minutes as if to school, then sit at their desk for seven hours with only a short break to go outside and to eat lunch. No snacks, no screens, no movies. It will be hell for me and I won't get a thing done, but I think these ungrateful children need to realize how FANTASTIC their lives are. Has anyone ever done this?

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Meh.

Are they saying they want to public school or something - or is it just them being overwhelmed/in bad moods?

With that said, I would never make public school seem horrible - it isn't for many children and it just seems mean. What you plan to implement isn't the truth in many public schools, so that would be a lie (here). The children do have snack time here, do not sit at desks all day, do still take part in fun projects, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I did.  My now first grader wanted to go to public school, but I knew it would only last a day or two before he wanted to come home again.  I stood him out for the "bus" for 10 minutes, drove him around for an hour (that's how long Xave's bus ride was in kinder), no snacks, circle time and repetitions instead of answer discuss and move on, no computer games for math/sight words practice, we changed classes but moved from desk to desk.  It took about a day for him to say it wasn't good for him.  Plus my oldest was sitting there the whole time telling him how easy I was letting him off.  "A B&M teacher would make you change your card."  "A B&M teacher would make you wait till the test was over to pee."  "A B&M teacher would take away your recess by now." 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:41 PM
If they are complaining because they want to go back or because they think homeschool is harder that may work.

If that is not the case then I would maybe take a week off and have them have time to themselves, just to see if that helps.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Hm, it does sound like an attitude problem. How are they about chores? Is this only a school problem?
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

We've been having MASSIVE discussions about respect for the last several weeks.  MASSIVE.  I can't emphasize that enough.  The whining is too much.  How you accidentally stab someone with a pencil when you're supposed to be doing your work is beyond me.  WHY you took something from your sister's room, broke it, and left the glass lying on your floor is beyond me.  We've been working BIG time on this.  I don't know if showing them another way would get them to chill out, either.  Enforcing stricter days would show them that there are worse ways to go about things, but you want them to be respectful no matter the situation.  Just keep coming back to how they want to be treated and that's not how they're treating you.

gratefulgal
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Seriously, it's like you're peeking in our windows. Get away from our windows and stop telling everyone all the bad things you've seen here! lol. I'm joking , of course, but it's weird how similar life has been for us lately.

Quoting hwblyf:

We've been having MASSIVE discussions about respect for the last several weeks.  MASSIVE.  I can't emphasize that enough.  The whining is too much.  How you accidentally stab someone with a pencil when you're supposed to be doing your work is beyond me.  WHY you took something from your sister's room, broke it, and left the glass lying on your floor is beyond me.  We've been working BIG time on this.  I don't know if showing them another way would get them to chill out, either.  Enforcing stricter days would show them that there are worse ways to go about things, but you want them to be respectful no matter the situation.  Just keep coming back to how they want to be treated and that's not how they're treating you.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:40 PM

My children have never been in public school. Public school children here do not have computer time every day, rarely watch videos as part of their lessons, and spend the vast majority of their day at a desk/table, or standing in line waiting for something (to go to the bathroom, to get a drink, to go outside, to come back inside, to go home). I used to be a teacher, so I know how it works (I was also public schooled). 

My children spend on average two hours a day on school work. That includes reading aloud and projects! They take lots of classes in addition to this, but most of each day is "their" time to spend as they please. 

I want them to recognize how nice that is, and to realize that it could be very different.

So, tomorrow is Hardcore School. It's going to be exhausting for me, but we'll make it through. I'll give them bathroom breaks, lunch, and recess. We may even watch one very short video with science, but from 8:00 to 2:00, it's school-only. Plus I'm going to put worksheets in their backpacks for homework. ;) I'm so mean! Bwahahaha.

PresleynPaisley
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM
To be fair my girls are in public school and they have snack, smart boards, classroom iPads, recesses, art, music, library, computer class, and lots of friends. I also don't drive them in the cold and they never sit in a desk for seven hours with only short breaks.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I am getting really fed up with my older two children (2nd and 5th grade) and their bad attitudes, complaining, whining, and just overall sense of entitlement when it comes to doing their school work. They whine, cry (yes even literal TEARS pouring down their cheeks) when I ask them to do the simplest thing. This morning (in addition to the typical "ugh!" or loud sighs I always get), when it was time for all of us to read aloud from a chapter book, the topic I introduced was the quote "Good fences make good neighbors." Then I asked if they agreed with that or not, and why. The 2nd grader said no he didn't because it didn't make any sense. Ok, I put his name down under the "no" column. The 1st grader then went on to give her response and the whole time, he's interrupting her with, "No! No! I want to change my answer!" I told him to be quiet so she could finish. She gave her answer. Then I asked the 5th grader and she said, "I don't know." I said, well just think about it, what would you say? There's no right or wrong answer. "I don't know!" she says, all flabbergasted. Really? Is it worth getting so bent out of shape? Then she buries her head and starts sobbing.

It's not just this day or this topic or this assignment. They do this with frequency! I'm so sick of it! If they don't want to do something they start off with whining, which I won't stand for and gets them put in their rooms for ten minutes. Then they turn it into actual crying, which is ridiculous.

I am considering instituting a mock public school day. Wake them up at 6:00 a.m., make them get right into their clothes, eat a fast breakfast, even drive them around in the cold for 20 minutes as if to school, then sit at their desk for seven hours with only a short break to go outside and to eat lunch. No snacks, no screens, no movies. It will be hell for me and I won't get a thing done, but I think these ungrateful children need to realize how FANTASTIC their lives are. Has anyone ever done this?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Yikes! Those schools sound horrible :(

Our public schools here do not offer stellar academics, and I really dislike the issues that have come up with budget cuts, but our teachers work really hard to make things interesting - they have their specials (music, etc), recess, group work, fun projects, movement and motion incorporated, special school wide activities, etc.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TatyBear
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM
I have two in public school.

They have recess 3 times a day. 2 scheduled snacks plus lunch. Library every day. Gym every day for 1hr 30 minutes for my junior high.DD and.45 minutes every day for my kinder DD.

Computer/ipad or laptop access everyday.

Plus math, science, French arts and crafts, music etc......even my oldest does not sit in her desk all.day, she also has knitting class and cooking as well.

I'm going to be homeschooling DD for preschool (since we don't have any here) and both years of kinder. Then off to.public school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN