Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

literacy through the arts: innovative way to improve reading fluency

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

This will surely interest homeschoolers and those interested in innovative education.

This information is from Beth Sussman:

I can pick out the weak readers in a class in about 30 seconds.....

As a Master Teaching Artist with the Los Angeles Music Center, I have been presenting artist in residency programs throughout Southern California for the past decade.  Simply put, I generally go out to a school 10 times and see 4-5 classes in a day.  As a Juilliard graduate, I use (mainly) classical music to teach, in a fun and hands on way, some of the more abstract concepts such as main idea, comparing and contrasting, author's purpose, etc.  I call it covert learning, because the kids are having so much fun, they don't realize they're learning something!  (Shhhh!)

Several years ago, teachers started telling me about how their elementary school students' reading fluency was going through the roof and that it had to be a result of my work.  These teachers explained that their curriculum was the same in previous years, but without this fantastic result, and so  I had to figure out why.   It turns out that steady beat - that pulse that some music has that makes you want to tap your toes or clap your hands- has a direct correlation to reading fluency and therefore, comprehension.  Wow!!

I came across several academic and scientific articles supporting this and a very recent article in the Journal of Neuroscience supports this as well. Here's a link to an LA Times article describing the study.
lat.ms/1dpSYdH

Unfortunately, so many preschools and kindergarten classes are pushing the kids to read before they have some of the necessary skills in place to decode.   One of those skills is steady beat.  (I'll be talking about another necessary skill for reading in my next blog).  Many, many teachers tell me that there's no time to do poems or rhymes or dance or sing, when that is precisely what they should be doing to prepare emerging readers!

I'm currently working on a project that would provide free online animated and live action videos using the arts to improve literacy aimed at 4-8 year olds.  Many young children don't have the opportunity to attend pre-school or Gymboree classes which might at least touch upon some of the sensory experiences kids should have before entering school.  These videos, with their cute animated characters, would engage kids and have them participate in a variety of age appropriate arts activities.

I believe that education can be the great equalizer and that all children should have access to the arts.  I've enlisted Emmy nominated writer/producer Bill Freiberger (Pee-Wee's Playhouse, The Simpsons) to executive produce and Josh Sussman (no relation) who is an actor on Glee and Wizard of Waverly Place to provide the voice of the main animated character, Joppity. (please see www.joppity.com to see the full array of cute and engaging characters).  Bill and Josh, as well as talented editors, producers, etc, and I are all donating our time and talents to this project because the arts changed our lives.

I look forward to starting a dialogue about this and welcome questions and comments!

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Thank you!!!! I needed this. I was a piano and music teacher, sort of still am, but I sort of neglected that, and just barely started again, but need to make it more regular. Thank you!
Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Are you in LA btw? We live in LA county.
jblog
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:46 AM

So glad this was helpful.  Please read the literature and science behind the project of steady beat , music and reading.You will find the links on http://www.joppity.com/   Also, you can email Beth with any questions. MissBeth@Joppity.com 

I, personally , find this subject fascinating since the possibilities are endless!

Al lthe best, Elaine

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

That sounds wonderful!

jblog
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yes I live in LA.   For more info on this subject please read the  science and literature links on http://www.jopity.com/  Also you candirectly email the person who is doing this innovative project  at MissBeth@Joppity.com

All the best,

Elaine

jblog
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Hi,

I hope you check out the links and read the science and literature behind this innovative project.

http://www.joppity.com/

All the best,

Elaine

jblog
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Wonderful, adorable Joppity! check it out at: http://www.joppity.com/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN