Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So how do you know for sure your kid is gifted?

Posted by   + Show Post

So I am just wondering how do you know for sure your kid is gifted?  I really am not pro-putting a label on my kiddo but he begged me to learn how to read when he was 2 1/2 and is 5 1/2 and doing 2nd grade work and some 3rd grade work.  I pulled out Saxon 2 to start working and he knows how to do over half of the book-he needs to learn fractions and multiplication and division but already has a grasp on some basics of those anyways.  He's just burning through curriculum which is fine but it's hard to budget for it and I'm not sure where to go on math for him especially because he gets bored really easily.  It's taking a ton of time for me to sit down and evaluate which lessons to do and which to skip.  He's worth it I'm just having a rough pregnancy so it's hard to sit down and focus with a 2 1/2 year old (also begging to read like brother and already knows his letter sounds so we're starting to sound out words).  Anyways I don't know who to talk to about this.  I already am worried about testing because our state requires it however they don't let you report until they're 7 and we'll be moving before that school year after he turns 7 because my husband *should* be finishing grad school at that point. 

And before I get attacked I don't force him to do school or anything I follow his lead-if you don't have anything nice to say please don't comment because trust me I've already been attacked plenty over the past few years by people that think that kids shouldn't have any formal education the first 7 years of life.  That just wouldn't work for him and when I was flat on the couch he taught himself astronomy and other subjects from books we had on the shelf.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I have to disagree with every kid is gifted.  Our ps has that statement in their handbook.  It's dismissive of the abilities and liabilities a gifted kid has.  Gifted doesn't mean high achieving.  You know your child is high achieving at this point, to the point where it seems very likely he's gifted.  There are a lot of behaviors and challenges that can accompany gifted, but if your child hasn't shown any of those, don't fret it.  It sounds like you've got a handle on it, it's just challenging and being pregnant with a toddler in tow is hard.  Good luck!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I'm no help with your original question, but have to say that I have no problem with making a 5 year old do work. We aren't unschoolers and my kiddos haven't the option. Period.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:27 AM
The handwriting thing makes sense. My husband (diagnosed gifted) and my oldest dd, have not had tested but she is advanced in almost everything, hate writing and both say it hurts, both refuse to write.

That is the one subject I hate with my 7 year old but I am determined she will learn it.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

I attended a gifted seminar by someone who is gifted at our expo.

Interesting stuff! Gifted kids get bored with things they already know so don't beat a dead horse. They often have a fast brain but slow body so things like writing might be frustrating to them. Meaning they know what they need to do but their body isn't as easily controlled.

Often active.

She said that sadly gifted do not succeed as often as"normal" and that when you teach them they do not need MORE work they need better work. Again not beating a dead horse.

She said to watch for what they avoid that is where you need to teach. They are used to things being easy and avoid things that are a challenge. Handwriting seemed to be a theme for her. That whatever their challenge you need to force them to deal with it that for gifted kids the sooner they learn that life lesson the better because they will learn it at one time or another. They are not used to struggle KWIM?

My DD started reading at 2 as well and is crazy into science! Last night she drew a pic and declared look I drew a cochlea....she is 4 . I am constantly scratching my head wondering is she is part alien or just reincarnated! lol
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I will also say someone on here mentioned behavior. My family is weird because two of mine based on behavior and progress could be gifted and the other two show few signs. But I always say they are advanced and leave it at that.

I do not make my oldest do repeat work, she gets bored and refuses to do it and is really cranky.

My 2nd loves easy work because then she can be done in minutes. She does not get it either. I want her to work at a slightly challenging level so she will be able to work when things get hard for her.

My 4 year old decided he wanted to read this year but he shows no gifted characteristics.

My 3 year old may be gifted, talking in 3 word sentences but only to me at 9 months, she was talking in 4 and 5 word sentences by 12 months and then finally at a out 1.5 she started talking to her daddy and siblings. She did not start talking to others till she was almost 3. My husband is the only one who can not understand her and it is only because she mostly speaks quietly.
monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Where do I find these characteristics?

Quoting jen2150:

My son is gifted. Reading early is not a sign. Einstein didn't read til later. Some read early and some don't. My son didn't ask until he turned 5. He literally went from not reading to reading at a 3rd grade level in 2 months. I have never had him tested. I just read articles books. I highly recommend Homeschooling Your Gifted Child.

I would look at characteristics of gifted child and see how many he Has. My son showed signs at 1 year old. You might want to consider unschooling. It is what works for my son. Gifted kids require more help than I realized. They are a very at risk group. So many never reach their full potential.

monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:28 AM
That really fits him-he excels like crazy at everything and seriously just zooms through everything but gets really frustrated at math which I'm having a hard time keeping up with him via going fast and skipping lessons-we already don't do the Saxon worksheets because he refused to do them and I realized it's because he grasped the concepts. We put off handwriting for a bit-now he's doing really well. He's a perfectionist for sure and won't do anything until he can do it right-he wouldn't color as a toddler and now I think it's because he would get mad at himself for going outside the lines and his sensory defensive issues (hubby and I both have them). I'm just battling the frustration from him and I'm trying to keep him engaged-other than math I've been good at keeping up to his level. He's reading much higher than we are working at in school but it's helping him be more careful. He devours science books. I'm just wondering if maybe there's a better math fit that would be easier to skip stuff once he grasps a concept?
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Google it and also by reading books on gifted children. I will when I am not mobile.

Quoting monkeybunns:

Quoting jen2150:

My son is gifted. Reading early is not a sign. Einstein didn't read til later. Some read early and some don't. My son didn't ask until he turned 5. He literally went from not reading to reading at a 3rd grade level in 2 months. I have never had him tested. I just read articles books. I highly recommend Homeschooling Your Gifted Child.

I would look at characteristics of gifted child and see how many he Has. My son showed signs at 1 year old. You might want to consider unschooling. It is what works for my son. Gifted kids require more help than I realized. They are a very at risk group. So many never reach their full potential.

monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Fits all but maybe 3-4 of these: http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifted101/a/giftedtraits.htm  Sheesh-this talks about him darn near perfectly and seeing many of the same things with his brother though he's much younger so the reasoning isn't quite there yet because he's young but he can follow directions much better than children his age and has a CRAZY long attention span-he usually sits through all of school with us (though I try to give him other activities so he can do something similar but on his level) and picks up on a huge chunk of what we're learning.  Freaky kids ;)!  This seriously explains my husband, his brother, and myself quite a bit too rather we fit the characteristics.  A huge reason why we homeschool is because his brother was insanely brilliant but got very bored in school and acted out.  This is a fear for my kids as well and that's why I'm having a hard time adapting to them in some ways-I can't even imagine how a teacher in a public school would feel with him in the class.  We have a church friend with a very very bright son as well and he was only able to skip to 1st grade (they're agemates) and he's very bored because they're only expected to be reading 8 words and he's been reading since he was about 3 as well.  I've seen the way my son acts at church so I KNOW he'd be off the walls in a school room because I start to see it while we're doing math and it's frustrating for us both because I'm just really struggling to keep up and really assess where he's actually at and where his understanding lies in that subject-the others seem so much easier to just go faster or go ahead but the spiral thing is driving me crazy at the moment in Saxon.

Quoting jen2150:

Google it and also by reading books on gifted children. I will when I am not mobile.

Quoting monkeybunns:

Quoting jen2150:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I suppose the only sure fire way is a full evaluation (a psych ed eval) - which runs in the neighborhood of about $1500 here.

Here, we just move at our kiddos' pace, so I'm not sure.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 5:15 PM
My son fit all but a couple as well. I highly recommend reading some books on gifted children. It really helped me with helping my son.

Quoting monkeybunns:

Fits all but maybe 3-4 of these: http://giftedkids.about.com/od/gifted101/a/giftedtraits.htm  Sheesh-this talks about him darn near perfectly and seeing many of the same things with his brother though he's much younger so the reasoning isn't quite there yet because he's young but he can follow directions much better than children his age and has a CRAZY long attention span-he usually sits through all of school with us (though I try to give him other activities so he can do something similar but on his level) and picks up on a huge chunk of what we're learning.  Freaky kids ;)!  This seriously explains my husband, his brother, and myself quite a bit too rather we fit the characteristics.  A huge reason why we homeschool is because his brother was insanely brilliant but got very bored in school and acted out.  This is a fear for my kids as well and that's why I'm having a hard time adapting to them in some ways-I can't even imagine how a teacher in a public school would feel with him in the class.  We have a church friend with a very very bright son as well and he was only able to skip to 1st grade (they're agemates) and he's very bored because they're only expected to be reading 8 words and he's been reading since he was about 3 as well.  I've seen the way my son acts at church so I KNOW he'd be off the walls in a school room because I start to see it while we're doing math and it's frustrating for us both because I'm just really struggling to keep up and really assess where he's actually at and where his understanding lies in that subject-the others seem so much easier to just go faster or go ahead but the spiral thing is driving me crazy at the moment in Saxon.

Quoting jen2150:

Quoting monkeybunns:

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)