Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Books for 8th grade?

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

What literature would you suggest for a 13 year old 8th grader?  This would be along side what she picks for literature that year.

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:13 PM

My 13 year old daughter is a bit on the weird/dark side so she's been into The Crucible, The Scarlet Letter and I'm gonna throw in Goodman Brown. 

She also is reading world war z, and John Carter

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It would all depend on what she likes!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM

If she had it her way all she would read is manga all day.  So it isn't really all up to her.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I was referring to subject matter! Dose she like romance, mystery, horror, drama, historical, etc.

You would be amazed at the books that have been written in Manga or graphic novel style!

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM

She really doesn't seem to like a genre.  The manga she reads is all cutie and below her reading level.  So when it comes to novels I pick what she reads.  She reads and discusses it, and that's about the extent of it.

Quoting usmom3:

I was referring to subject matter! Dose she like romance, mystery, horror, drama, historical, etc.

You would be amazed at the books that have been written in Manga or graphic novel style!

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Have you tried the classics written as graphic novels? When my oldest was younger he hated to read but loved comics so I got the classics as graphic novels & it gave him a taste of the books in a way he enjoyed. He had always loved the Christmas Carol movies & reading the graphic novel of it made him want to read the actual book. What do you know now his favorite book is A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens!

Quoting Silverkitty:

She really doesn't seem to like a genre.  The manga she reads is all cutie and below her reading level.  So when it comes to novels I pick what she reads.  She reads and discusses it, and that's about the extent of it.

Quoting usmom3:

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Let's see, I've given my daughter The Hobbit, A Wrinkle in Time, Mara Daughter of the Nile, Lord of the Flies (which she actually liked, go figure), and Jane Eyre.  You might also think about Animal Farm.     

She also really likes the Skin Hunger series, but that's her choice not "literature."

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:29 AM

I was thinking a mix of classics and more recently written.  I've not seen many classics as graphic novels, though it wouldn't hurt to look in to that again.

The list I've made so far that she might like.

The Secret Garden, Hunger Games, Christmas Carol, Wrinkle in Time, and this is where I'd like to give her more options.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)