Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What curriculum do you use for penmanship/handwriting?  I know many of you don't use one or make up your own, but I'm looking for those that do to tell me what they use so I can look at the options.  Also, if your child has learned cursive, how do you decide which to use for assignments?  Do you just switch between cursive and manuscript, or do you have certain activities always done in cursive and others done in manuscript?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Replies (11-13):
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 7:56 PM

We are using Abeka's cursive....we write in cursive for EVERYTHING.  It needs to be cemented in their brains.  They read print and will naturally pick it up by 4th grade.  My girls are doing well with it.  I had one that put in ZERO effort last year and almost got a D.  I saved some of her papers so that she could see where she actually got worse as the year went on.  My youngest squeaked by with a super low C as well.....her problem was that she couldn't see.  We didn't find that out until we were nearly done with K....I just thought she was being lazy.  She has done much better since getting her glasses.

energygirl
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I started with Handwriting without tears, and was really not that impressed.  For first grade I did my own thing (just practising words and sentences) and have ordered "a reason for handwriting" to try to help my daughter write more neatly. I am also going to use it to begin cursive

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Handwriting without tears

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)