Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thomas Jefferson Education

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

Has anyone used a program that uses it?  My oldest has the oppurtunity to start working with it next year and I was looking into it.

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:25 AM
I have not. Bump
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I read the book, but do not implement it.  It seemed to me to just be a CM method with an emphasis on classics. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see how it would be any better than anyting else out there.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Ok. I was just looking into it.

The group here in town does not have a website and I will never be a fully child led homeschooler, but it sounds like something my 7 year old might enjoy.

I just want opinions so I can work through it since it is fairly expensive and while yes we have a year to come up with the money, I do not want to spend it and then we all hate it.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I read the book, but do not implement it.  It seemed to me to just be a CM method with an emphasis on classics. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see how it would be any better than anyting else out there.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 3:36 PM
I think it is the group itself and not the method. They do fund raising to, but I am not sure how we are going to do this if we decide to do it.

Quoting kirbymom:

I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 15, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Well, I would be interested in knowing how it goes? We happen to like Thomas Jefferson.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I think it is the group itself and not the method. They do fund raising to, but I am not sure how we are going to do this if we decide to do it.

Quoting kirbymom:I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I haven't heard anything good about it, honestly.

I would suggest you hop over to the Well Trained Mind forums and, in the search box (in quotation marks), search "Thomas Jefferson Education". You'll see what pops up.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am still looking into it and am going to talk to them to see how it is going to go.

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, I would be interested in knowing how it goes? We happen to like Thomas Jefferson.

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting kirbymom:I haven't. Is there a special reason why it is expensive?

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 6:17 PM

I found one post about it there and their concern was that the child was not learning enough.  It would only be one day a week so I wonder if that would change it.  I will go over there and ask them also.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't heard anything good about it, honestly.

I would suggest you hop over to the Well Trained Mind forums and, in the search box (in quotation marks), search "Thomas Jefferson Education". You'll see what pops up.

SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM

I jokingly call it the "Dead White Man" education. Very classically oriented, very heavy on reason and logic and Latin. Basically, terrific if you want to raise a senator. There is a TJ boarding school nearby, so I did a very small amount of research before realizing that it was absolutely wrong for our DD. But I can honestly see where it would work well for someone who highly valued a strictly classical education.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)