Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you know...*Wordy, I apologize.*

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM
  • 25 Replies
2 moms liked this

Is it ok to mention things my boys have accomplished since being homeschooled? I'm so proud of how far they have come since I took them out of that nasty public school. I won't say a word until I get a green light. :) 

No for the "Also" part of my title.  Thomas Edison didn't speak until he was nearly four years old. With that he was also an extremely hyper active boy. At the age of seven, his mother was told that her son was "unlearnable" because he couldn't sit still long enough to concentrate on his studies. So she took him out of school and homeschooled him. She made much more progress teaching him at home than the teachers had the patience for in school. Apparently he was not only ADHD (as we put it now a days) but he was also mildly dyslexic. 

Did any of that stop him? No, infact he was deemed a genius years later. He had an imagination that inevidably led him down the path of success. He is now one of the most revered scientists this country has ever known. 

Einstein didn't speak until he was 4 either, and was known to have epilepsy. Did that stop him after he was deemed "unlearnable"? NO! He's one of the most popular geniuses in all of history. He too was dyslexic, and struggled with a bit of dyscalcula as well. Yet he turned out to be again a most revered physisist (omg I'm still not sure that is spelled just right looks funny to me :p) 

But intelligence does not stop with just school work. Take Beetoven for instance. He was the 8th child of a woman who had syphulys (again, sp lost my glasses) and his 7 other siblings were either deaf or blind. I think maybe one of them was both but don't quote me on that. He is one of history's most world renowned composors. He taught himself to play the piano and he always played barefoot so as to feel the vibrations through the floor as he played. Who doesn't think Moon light sonata or Fur Elise, or even the 5th isn't beautiful?

Those are just a few historical tid bits, but there are dozens more out there. Probably from way farther back in time than these gentlemen mentioned above.

So I am not going to go out and say that EVERY child whith speech or learning delays or disablities is going to be a genius and some how make an imapact on the world, but I will say that it's always a possibility. 

I have sons like these men. My oldest has speech and dexterity and some attention problems, but he's sharp as a tack, and quick to grasp things. My youngest is extreme ADHD and I am going to get him diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalcula as well. Though he can't read much at all, he is still extremely smart as far as learning verbally. I'm so proud of them both and hope that one day they find something that excites them and that they excell and become successful men one day. 

sorry for it being so long, I'm a bit long winded tonight and wanted to share something that was at the moment passionate to me. 

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Yes please brag.  I had one on here when my son learned to write his name about 6 months ago.  He had just turned 4.  I was and am so proud of him.  When my girls do amazing stuff I want to share I come here.  It makes it easier because everyone likes to hear how well the kids are doing homeschooling.

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Yay! Thank you. I'll just start here if that's alright. :) 

First of all, the schools where we live (which is a very rural area) haven't started teaching science and social studies in first or 3rd grade yet. My boys have been studying it since I pulled them out. Our very first science lesson was the 5 phases of the moon. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later did we find out that the 5th graders had only started that. My oldest was 7 and my youngest hadn't turned 6 yet. They still know them to this day. Then the first science lesson of the year this year was Metamorphosis. They can tell you what it means, What creatures go through it, the differences in each cratures way of going through it, and the difference between a moth, butterfly, chrystalis and cocoon. They know what the word Nocturnal means and can name several nocturnal animals. They have studied vertabrates, habitats, and are now going to be learning the parts of a flower and they get a lot of hands on learning with the farm animals too. They also know the names of the plantes in the solar system :). Again i'm very proud of them. 

In social studies, they have learned about our state Tennessee, and the state's song, flower, tree, bird and animal. They know the name of the woman who wone 3 gold medals in track and feild in 1960. (Wilma Rudolph. Which I didn't know until now lol) They know all the states that border TN, can name those states, and their capitals, as well as South carolina and Florida and the know the Nation's Capital is Washington D.C. and that it's not really a state but a city. They know that at the time of the "First Thanksgiving" it wasn't really called that, and that the settlers didn't call themselves "pilgrims". They know What foods was served at this Harvest celebration, and how it differs from today. They also know that the settlers didn't wear just somber black or silver buckles on their shoes that they were actually either slip on boots or lace type boots and that they wore bright colored clothing. 

As far as ancient civilizations, mythology and such we do that sort of thing for fun when we're sitting around at night or reading while wating in the doctor's office. We have conversations like that at dinner too. So they are learning basically all day and absorbing it even though they don't know it lol. 

English, they know all of their parts of speech, what they mean and all their punctuation and how to use it properly. (Even though I'm not using proper gramar and punctuation tonight that doesn't mean I don't know it. I'm just excited and it's 2:36am lol.) They love the silly sentence game we made and love making more cohesive sentences from those silly ones. 

In math, My youngest struggles with his numbers and counting past 20, (hence why I think he struggles with dyscalcula and dyslexia with his letters and letter sounds) but if you tell him what the numbers are, he will add and subtract for you all day. He is even interested in learning and has learnd verbally some of his brother's times tables. (I'm old fashioned that way lol)  Oldest son is moving on to his 4's this week. They both can tell time, but need a little more work on money but that'll come in time too. 

Spelling, hmm...This one varies. Oldest is working from a 4th grade spelling book, and youngest is still working on vowl sounding letters. (pig, wig, six, mix, fix, it, in, pin etc... but it's difficult for him he's going on 7 by the way hence the concern) he's also very ADHD and need ideas on how to work with him. Oldest just hates to write but does his work on his own for the most part. 

Reading, My oldest hates to read, but he's so good at it. Though when he does read it sounds like mumble jumble, but i know he's seeing the words or hearing them in his head properly because i'll ask him what it means and he'll tell me, He's read Alice in Wonderland (one of his favorites) and is getting ready to start on The Swiss Family Robinson, or Journey to the Center of the Earth (the children's verson of course.) Again he hates to write, but when he does, he writes lovely stories. :) 

I think that's it for now lol. Thanks for letting me brag about them. I'm so proud of how hard they are working to learn all this stuff. It made me a little proud when my boys tried telling their friend what rainbows were. My youngest said, "Rainbows are bent light through rain drops in the sky. and light comes through with different colors." The simplest way for him to put it and his friend was looking at him like he was crazy. He came to me and said, "Was I wrong about rainbows mom?" I told him no, and he said, "but so-and-so didn't believe me. He said it was magic." I told him that light fragment was a kind of magic in it's own, but it's a very real occurance and that he should NEVER feel bad for having that knowlege, or for spreading it when the time should come. (very smart kid with an extensive vocabulary by the way. He understood what I said fully. Though my dad and husband say I shouldn't do that). 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Yes please brag.  I had one on here when my son learned to write his name about 6 months ago.  He had just turned 4.  I was and am so proud of him.  When my girls do amazing stuff I want to share I come here.  It makes it easier because everyone likes to hear how well the kids are doing homeschooling.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 3:16 AM
That is awesome and I would not listen to your dad and husband. I think telling kids how things work and explaining it is the best way. I know not everyone agrees but if your child understands then go for it.

Even with learning handicaps your children are doing amazing and you have every right to be proud. They are learning more than the school would have taught and the are learning to love learning. That is the most important lesson of all.

Quoting ladyofnight:

First of all, the schools where we live (which is a very rural area) haven't started teaching science and social studies in first or 3rd grade yet. My boys have been studying it since I pulled them out. Our very first science lesson was the 5 phases of the moon. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later did we find out that the 5th graders had only started that. My oldest was 7 and my youngest hadn't turned 6 yet. They still know them to this day. Then the first science lesson of the year this year was Metamorphosis. They can tell you what it means, What creatures go through it, the differences in each cratures way of going through it, and the difference between a moth, butterfly, chrystalis and cocoon. They know what the word Nocturnal means and can name several nocturnal animals. They have studied vertabrates, habitats, and are now going to be learning the parts of a flower and they get a lot of hands on learning with the farm animals too. They also know the names of the plantes in the solar system :). Again i'm very proud of them. 

In social studies, they have learned about our state Tennessee, and the state's song, flower, tree, bird and animal. They know the name of the woman who wone 3 gold medals in track and feild in 1960. (Wilma Rudolph. Which I didn't know until now lol) They know all the states that border TN, can name those states, and their capitals, as well as South carolina and Florida and the know the Nation's Capital is Washington D.C. and that it's not really a state but a city. They know that at the time of the "First Thanksgiving" it wasn't really called that, and that the settlers didn't call themselves "pilgrims". They know What foods was served at this Harvest celebration, and how it differs from today. They also know that the settlers didn't wear just somber black or silver buckles on their shoes that they were actually either slip on boots or lace type boots and that they wore bright colored clothing. 

As far as ancient civilizations, mythology and such we do that sort of thing for fun when we're sitting around at night or reading while wating in the doctor's office. We have conversations like that at dinner too. So they are learning basically all day and absorbing it even though they don't know it lol. 

English, they know all of their parts of speech, what they mean and all their punctuation and how to use it properly. (Even though I'm not using proper gramar and punctuation tonight that doesn't mean I don't know it. I'm just excited and it's 2:36am lol.) They love the silly sentence game we made and love making more cohesive sentences from those silly ones. 

In math, My youngest struggles with his numbers and counting past 20, (hence why I think he struggles with dyscalcula and dyslexia with his letters and letter sounds) but if you tell him what the numbers are, he will add and subtract for you all day. He is even interested in learning and has learnd verbally some of his brother's times tables. (I'm old fashioned that way lol)  Oldest son is moving on to his 4's this week. They both can tell time, but need a little more work on money but that'll come in time too. 

Spelling, hmm...This one varies. Oldest is working from a 4th grade spelling book, and youngest is still working on vowl sounding letters. (pig, wig, six, mix, fix, it, in, pin etc... but it's difficult for him he's going on 7 by the way hence the concern) he's also very ADHD and need ideas on how to work with him. Oldest just hates to write but does his work on his own for the most part. 

Reading, My oldest hates to read, but he's so good at it. Though when he does read it sounds like mumble jumble, but i know he's seeing the words or hearing them in his head properly because i'll ask him what it means and he'll tell me, He's read Alice in Wonderland (one of his favorites) and is getting ready to start on The Swiss Family Robinson, or Journey to the Center of the Earth (the children's verson of course.) Again he hates to write, but when he does, he writes lovely stories. :) 

I think that's it for now lol. Thanks for letting me brag about them. I'm so proud of how hard they are working to learn all this stuff. It made me a little proud when my boys tried telling their friend what rainbows were. My youngest said, "Rainbows are bent light through rain drops in the sky. and light comes through with different colors." The simplest way for him to put it and his friend was looking at him like he was crazy. He came to me and said, "Was I wrong about rainbows mom?" I told him no, and he said, "but so-and-so didn't believe me. He said it was magic." I told him that light fragment was a kind of magic in it's own, but it's a very real occurance and that he should NEVER feel bad for having that knowlege, or for spreading it when the time should come. (very smart kid with an extensive vocabulary by the way. He understood what I said fully. Though my dad and husband say I shouldn't do that). 

Quoting debramommyof4:

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thanks. We try very hard to make sure they are doing something fun for learning. I even went out and bought fake money to teach them to count it, and we play Monopoly and Plan to get Life and Clue for critical thinking skills and deductions.We watch documentaries on T.V. then we discuss them or make something that goes along with it. When US history begins at an age they can really understand it, we'll do little civil war inactments outside with water ballons and squirt guns, and explain it all to them. We will do collages and things now with things we've learned. I can post some pictures of our bulletin boards if you like. :)  We even just let them draw things that they want from school. They just simply hate to write lol. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

That is awesome and I would not listen to your dad and husband. I think telling kids how things work and explaining it is the best way. I know not everyone agrees but if your child understands then go for it.

Even with learning handicaps your children are doing amazing and you have every right to be proud. They are learning more than the school would have taught and the are learning to love learning. That is the most important lesson of all.

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:28 PM

WOOHOO FEATERED! THANKS!! xD 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM
I would love to see your board. I am always looking for fun new ideas.

Quoting ladyofnight:

Thanks. We try very hard to make sure they are doing something fun for learning. I even went out and bought fake money to teach them to count it, and we play Monopoly and Plan to get Life and Clue for critical thinking skills and deductions.We watch documentaries on T.V. then we discuss them or make something that goes along with it. When US history begins at an age they can really understand it, we'll do little civil war inactments outside with water ballons and squirt guns, and explain it all to them. We will do collages and things now with things we've learned. I can post some pictures of our bulletin boards if you like. :)  We even just let them draw things that they want from school. They just simply hate to write lol. 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Then let me tell you about our Book worm. His name is Author T. Booker "Booker" for short. He grows longer with every book your child reads. To make his head just take a coffee can or something circular of about the same size and trace a pattern to cut out. That will be his head. Take and cut out some round eyes and pupils from construction paper as well. any color you like. I used black and white for mine, Make sure to cut out some "Specticles" for him. I used black for those too with a nose piece bridging the frames together. Then draw a smile and make a little bow tie out of paper and glue it all together. For his body, make circles from the coffee can and write then title of the book and the name of the author on it and tape it to the wall, door, or board. Don't forget to reward your studends/children at the end of each book read. This will encourage them to continue reading. 

By the way, I may have to post the pictures from my mobile, so bear with me. :) we have 3 boards so far. Some are fairly simple, but the one we're doing for Christmas/Solstice is going to be so much prettier. :) 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 11:48 PM
I love that idea. I am going to try it since I have 3 readers.

Quoting ladyofnight:

Then let me tell you about our Book worm. His name is Author T. Booker "Booker" for short. He grows longer with every book your child reads. To make his head just take a coffee can or something circular of about the same size and trace a pattern to cut out. That will be his head. Take and cut out some round eyes and pupils from construction paper as well. any color you like. I used black and white for mine, Make sure to cut out some "Specticles" for him. I used black for those too with a nose piece bridging the frames together. Then draw a smile and make a little bow tie out of paper and glue it all together. For his body, make circles from the coffee can and write then title of the book and the name of the author on it and tape it to the wall, door, or board. Don't forget to reward your studends/children at the end of each book read. This will encourage them to continue reading. 

By the way, I may have to post the pictures from my mobile, so bear with me. :) we have 3 boards so far. Some are fairly simple, but the one we're doing for Christmas/Solstice is going to be so much prettier. :) 

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Quoting ladyofnight:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)