Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Did you know...*Wordy, I apologize.*

Posted by   + Show Post

Is it ok to mention things my boys have accomplished since being homeschooled? I'm so proud of how far they have come since I took them out of that nasty public school. I won't say a word until I get a green light. :) 

No for the "Also" part of my title.  Thomas Edison didn't speak until he was nearly four years old. With that he was also an extremely hyper active boy. At the age of seven, his mother was told that her son was "unlearnable" because he couldn't sit still long enough to concentrate on his studies. So she took him out of school and homeschooled him. She made much more progress teaching him at home than the teachers had the patience for in school. Apparently he was not only ADHD (as we put it now a days) but he was also mildly dyslexic. 

Did any of that stop him? No, infact he was deemed a genius years later. He had an imagination that inevidably led him down the path of success. He is now one of the most revered scientists this country has ever known. 

Einstein didn't speak until he was 4 either, and was known to have epilepsy. Did that stop him after he was deemed "unlearnable"? NO! He's one of the most popular geniuses in all of history. He too was dyslexic, and struggled with a bit of dyscalcula as well. Yet he turned out to be again a most revered physisist (omg I'm still not sure that is spelled just right looks funny to me :p) 

But intelligence does not stop with just school work. Take Beetoven for instance. He was the 8th child of a woman who had syphulys (again, sp lost my glasses) and his 7 other siblings were either deaf or blind. I think maybe one of them was both but don't quote me on that. He is one of history's most world renowned composors. He taught himself to play the piano and he always played barefoot so as to feel the vibrations through the floor as he played. Who doesn't think Moon light sonata or Fur Elise, or even the 5th isn't beautiful?

Those are just a few historical tid bits, but there are dozens more out there. Probably from way farther back in time than these gentlemen mentioned above.

So I am not going to go out and say that EVERY child whith speech or learning delays or disablities is going to be a genius and some how make an imapact on the world, but I will say that it's always a possibility. 

I have sons like these men. My oldest has speech and dexterity and some attention problems, but he's sharp as a tack, and quick to grasp things. My youngest is extreme ADHD and I am going to get him diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyscalcula as well. Though he can't read much at all, he is still extremely smart as far as learning verbally. I'm so proud of them both and hope that one day they find something that excites them and that they excell and become successful men one day. 

sorry for it being so long, I'm a bit long winded tonight and wanted to share something that was at the moment passionate to me. 

by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM
Replies (21-25):
ladyofnight
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I am going to definitely try this with my son. He hates to write but loves thinking of things like that. I had him write a small paragraph once about if he could be any character in the world who would he want to be. He wrote about how he would love to be Percy Jackson, or The Mad Hatter, or A dragon rider. :) I may have to ask you for some more tips to keep it interesting at times. :)  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are wonderful ideas and congratulations on how well your boys are doing!  My girls would love to create a reading worm.  I never thought of that.  I have a friend whose son didn't speak until he was 4.  He's 15 now and an honor student.  Thanks for all of the information on Einstein, etc.

My third grader (this is our first year home) was slammed with writing, writing, writing at public school and she absolutely hated it.  She almost refused to write at home, so I started off the year with a small fun paragraph about the day.  Here are some fun dates for November, including William Tell day tomorrow.   If the day doesn't have something exciting in it I make up something like "If you could make today a national holiday what would you name it and how would you celebrate?"

She really enjoys that (my older daughter does too), and now we're also combining the regular persuasive, informational, story, etc. types with no problems.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Love!

My friend and i were just having this discussion.today! She had a very smart boys who has aspergers, my son suspected of spd, and we both have husbands with similar temperments, i guess you can say, but very smart.
jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Super cute boards! How long have you been homeschooling? Yeah for you and your son's.
ladyofnight
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM

My Dh is the same way. Speech delay, extremely tech savvy, doesn't make friends easily, finds gaming soothing, and is a very literal and technical person. He's really smart too, but he doesn't think he is. 

Quoting Precious333:

Love!

My friend and i were just having this discussion.today! She had a very smart boys who has aspergers, my son suspected of spd, and we both have husbands with similar temperments, i guess you can say, but very smart.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I'd love to swap ideas! The dragon rider+ stories had to be awesome!

Quoting ladyofnight:

I am going to definitely try this with my son. He hates to write but loves thinking of things like that. I had him write a small paragraph once about if he could be any character in the world who would he want to be. He wrote about how he would love to be Percy Jackson, or The Mad Hatter, or A dragon rider. :) I may have to ask you for some more tips to keep it interesting at times. :)  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Those are wonderful ideas and congratulations on how well your boys are doing!  My girls would love to create a reading worm.  I never thought of that.  I have a friend whose son didn't speak until he was 4.  He's 15 now and an honor student.  Thanks for all of the information on Einstein, etc.

My third grader (this is our first year home) was slammed with writing, writing, writing at public school and she absolutely hated it.  She almost refused to write at home, so I started off the year with a small fun paragraph about the day.  Here are some fun dates for November, including William Tell day tomorrow.   If the day doesn't have something exciting in it I make up something like "If you could make today a national holiday what would you name it and how would you celebrate?"

She really enjoys that (my older daughter does too), and now we're also combining the regular persuasive, informational, story, etc. types with no problems.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)