Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Confessions of a homeschooler preschool curriculum

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was looking at the confessions of a homeschooler posts about her letter of the week curriculum. Ummm....wow. It looks like a ton of stuff. Does anyone really do that much in a week with a preschooler? I looked at her recent ones & it looks like 20 or so activities.

I do like 1 activity with my 2.5 year old per day, if that, (& it's all play based or a short art type activity) & I felt like I was doing 'enough' - and then i saw her posts!!!
by on Nov. 16, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2013 at 9:23 PM
You are doing plenty. I didn't start till about 4 years old. Starting at 3 we would mostly just read and do fun activities at the table. We started with 5 minutes at a time and gradually increased the time. I think most Of those activities are more for you to pick and chose.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 3:53 PM

I like her site and she does do a lot with her preschooler. I think she also just beefs the curriculum that she sells.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:00 PM

You're doing plenty with a 2 year old. We did nothing formal at that age.

We do formal, for at least a couple hours (if not more) a day, at age 4.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JourneysEnd
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I use stuff from COAH, Reading Through The Alphabet, and Raising Rockstars for my two pre-k kids.  One is 4 yrs old and one is 8 (has moderate mental retardation).  Of course the 4 yr old is not legally required to do school, but the 8 yr old is.  I used a 6 day plan for each letter, but it might take us 2 weeks to complete everything because I don't like to push- once we start having trouble focusing and behavioral issues, we take a break once we finish our activity.  At 2 I didn't do anything formal, we started at 3 only because my son asked.  :) 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Last year when my youngest was 2 she wanted to do what the big kids were doing so she did circle with us (weather, pledge, calendar). Then I printed out worksheets and she scribbled.

This year we are doing a version of the letter of the week curriculum. She looks at the letter does a few cut and glues, helps make a snack, and colors a picture. We also go over a poem everyday (the same one). Oh and we do a shape. That is a week worth of learning.

My 4 year old does school with her and then we practice reading some words. I do need to add in some writing for him, though.

Everything they do is if they want to or not. I also am starting busy bags so it is not all "Ok you do not want to do school? Go watch TV."

Though they are going to start watching signing time when they choose not to do school. Next year we will all study sign language. This year my oldest is studying Spanish.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:20 AM
I think she gives a lot of options, but I don't think she actually does ALL of them for each letter/topic. It would get pretty boring doing the same activities for every letter, so I'd imagine she just uses some of them each time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Also, at 2.5 nothing formal needs to be done. They need to play, climb, sing, clap, run, help you, and just be a kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)