Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Project ideas?

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 6 Replies
I want to do more hands on learning and projects. But I don't think I'm creative enough. My kids have loved building a fort (kind of like a lean-to, and they have one built in a tree as well) and catapults (they have done numerous ones in their free time after building one for school one day). DS has the basics down (the three r's are no challenge for him) DD still needs lots of basic practice in multiplication, grammar, spelling, etc. They are 11 and 10.

They are studying:
Ancient History
The Elements
Electricity (in co op)
Pre algebra (DS), basic multiplication facts, money, beginning division (DD)
Sign Language
Bible (copy work and a question...this month we are doing thankfulness)
Critical Thinking is really important to us so I try to give word problems, logic puzzles, word finds, crosswords, anything a little fun that gets their brains thinking in a different way
And I would like to add some character building

So throw all your ideas at me! I want less table work and more hands on, I want school to be a lot more fun than it has been for my kids, DD especially.
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Last year we did the great wall of China. I bought a roll of paper from staples and made a mural 10 feet long. We taped to our wall and drew the great wall on it. Everything that we learned went on the wall. They drew pictures as well.

We did a 1,000 piece puzzle of the periodic table. I bought periodic table tiles. You can also make a periodic table cake. Do some kitchen chemistry while making the cake.

Make a multiplication house.

Most of my ideas I get from searching google and reading books. I am getting ready to teach a creative math class. We are using k'nex and orgami for geometry.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I wanted my kids to enjoy the multiplication house thing.  They were not into it at all.  :(

I'm going to work on cooking so I can do measurements, fractions, multiplication.  I'm going online to find the rule of thumb for how much to serve people at Thanksgiving and let my 10 and 9 year olds come up with total amounts.

Bible/character.  This month, we're doing gratitude, too.  So I found this gratitude journal online:

http://family.yourway.net/printable-gratitude-journal-to-count-your-blessings/

They also have to have a reason WHY, and we talk about them.  I also like this:

http://www.kidsdiscover.com/infographics/thanksgiving-for-kids-infographic/

My kids like sudoku, which helps us all with our thinking.  I've been thinking about getting coloruku (?) for Christmas.

Here's a song for the elements:

http://www.privatehand.com/flash/elements.html

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
For ancient Egypt we made hand made amulets and bracelets from salt dough. The kids had a blast.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Some easy ways of making lecture/read aloud time better is to use bean bag chairs or pillows, get comfy and give the kids a pile of something like legos, pipe cleaners, magnets, etc... and let them create while you read.

Making their own charts and posters is terrific.... try thinking of creative ways of doing this, like making mobiles, dioramas, 3-D art, etc.  

Have them create their own board games.   Make a Periodic Table "bingo" game or something.     Make a board game of Ancient history like put in order of time.   Start with the very early ancients and move forward including some question/answer cards and pitfalls and such.

ASL... instead of just the basic words/letters... have them write very short plays/skits and perform those in sign language.  Either in TOTAL sign or just replacing a few words in sign (based on their skill level).. or they can do some signing to music, and even perform this at church.

For math, we do some whiteboard math warm ups together and such my kids are enjoying.   We are doing 5th-9th grade level brain teasers and my older two are in the 6th and 4th grades.  They like these.

We also do some review of our flash cards and such, too.   Including using online flashcards and online math games.  This keeps our facts straight in our head while we work on the higher math concepts.

For ancient history, get a bunch of boxes (big ones), and create big scenes in your living room of your current time frame.   Cut out cardboard people, make cardboard back ground, etc...  and then write a few lines/facts on the back of your things and walk through them reading your facts outloud.

Mine don't like to write, but they enjoy sharing.   So if we've written alot of other stuff, sometimes when I do read alouds, I'll have them sit and just doodle about what we are reading.   Then, they get up and share their doodles and what they remember from the reading.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a bag of pretty little rocks.  For multiplication problems, they pick up a card and create a matrix to find the answer by making rows and columns from the pretty rocks.  It gives my youngest some extra sensory objects to hold (and rub and play with) while I read to them.  They make good bingo chips and we create bingo games for their Spanish words, so ASL could be the same way.  DS-oldest covers up the basic elements we are learning on the periodic chart, then he tries to remember them and picks up the rock to see if he's right.  It makes it easier for our work to be done lying in bed or on the living room floor.

We use our trivial pursuit board to create games for what we cover.

We use legos, wooden blocks to create the buildings of the time periods we are studying.  We make murals depicting battles or myths.  We make sheilds and swords and reenact stories ( we did viking battles, Arthur's round table, the battle of hastings---we're in the middle ages).

For critical thinking, have you played Mind Trap?  We also have 5 minute brain teaser books.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Check pinterest :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)