Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Grades

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 3 Replies

Do you keep them? At what age do you start? I was at an event yesterday where they were awarding some serious scholarship money.  Part of it is based on the kids' grades.  Mine are in elementary and I don't keep grades, but I was thinking about it and I dont want the kids to miss out on potential scholarship opportunities because I don't.  What do you think?

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I think it becomes more important in middle school in preparation for high school, and that they're necessary in high school if you're on a college track. While a portfolio can certainly display certain talents and activities and successes, the vast majority of colleges want a simple transcript with grades on it in their submission packet.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I agree with Susan.

I don't push them in Elementary, we start using them in Jr Hiigh and totally on by high school.Neither of hte boys are headed to a 4 year college track but definitely on a community college.

DD seems to have some scarrier aspirations..LMAO so we will be planning more for a 4 year college level.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I think middle school and highschool are the times I would start with grades.  In elementary school you see what they are doing but no one ever asks.  Though I would keep up with hours for their extracurricular time as a friend told me that can count in college.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)