Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How to teach right and left brain children AT THE SAME TIME

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
  • 7 Replies

I've always known my sons learned differently; however, recently I've noticed one is more right brain while the other is a left brain learner.  It's incredibly easy with one while the other is incredibly creative and hard to get to focus on core subjects.

Does anyone have this problem or experienced it?  Can you provide positive feedback because I'm about to pull ALL of my hair out. LOL!

Thanks in advance!!!

by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 9:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM
My girls are like that. I ensure I put together lessons that include normal workbook work and some creative work.
SarahNElijah
by Member on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Haha! I was hoping this was suggestions for handling that! :-) My son (7) is very much a right brain learner, and my daughter (4) is left.. For now, my son is doing way more school work than my daughter so I gear it towards him (creative, hands-on projects) but most of the time she has no interest in being involved in these creative, chaotic projects.. So I end up teaching her separately! This will definitely become harder as she gets older though!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthlymama
by on Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Thanks Debramommyof4. I'm trying to balance without overwhelming my creative 5 yo. 

LOL Sarah, my bad.  This is me searching for HELP because boy is it a challenge.  I'm grateful my 9 yo is a self starter and catches on really fast to his lessons or I'd be running like mad!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:11 AM
My boys are polar opposites. I make sure the things are flexible. I have options available for every lesson.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
2 moms liked this

We use Math U See because it has workbook pages AND cool manipulatives so teaches whole brain learning.  We used Ring around the Phonics game to supplement our phonics work because it teaches using whole brain.  When we do science experiments we do a chart of the findings so the left brainer gets to see it and feel it and the right brainer gets to make a chart. 

Romacox has a lot of information on whole brain learning.  Her websites would be most helpful.  Here's the one on Ring Around the Phonics game that tells about whole brain learning:  http://www.ringaroundthephonics.com/articles.htm#A11

earthlymama
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Oh wow, thank you SOOOO much!  I'm going to get right on it.

you rock

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, cognitive science has done some extensive research on this subject.  They call it Whole Brain Teaching.  It use to be called  Total Physical Response.  With this method, children learn faster, retain more, retain their natural love of learning, stress is reduced, and it improves the health of the brain(use it or lose it).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)