Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My mom called the school!((edit)))

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

I don't know why but this made me feel violated...like really my mom has made it clear that she doesnt agree with my choice to homeschool. She called the school that I am working with and spoke to the principal now she wants me to MAKE SURE (Yes she bascally yelled that) that she is allowed to "check up" on her grandson.

I see it more as check up on me and so on...She never called his other school, didnt even ask to see the report card but since I am doing something different now she wants to be "in the know"

Am I just being too sensitive???

Yes there are spelling errors...my 8 year old as gone back to not sleeping much so I am exhausted!

Sorry should have said...no the school did not tell her anything the principal said that he couldn't release any info to a non custodial family member. She just doesn't agree with homeschool she cant get the "typical" homeschooling out of her head.

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I would be livid.  That is not ok.  I would tell her that it is not ok and if she has questions she needs to talk to me.  It is not the principles, or teachers job to answer to anyone that is not a parent.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:02 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't think any state would give grand parents rights like that without a court order.

I would call the school and tell them they have no right to tell her anything. 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:48 AM
2 moms liked this

I'd be livid too!

Also, maybe it's just because I am so reasonable and intellegent ;) but if I worked at a school and got a call from a grandparent or some other relative that is not the parent, I'd basically say I can't answer any of their questions since I don't know them, I don't have any information listing them as having guardianship, and i really can't spend my time getting involved in personal family matters! I hope the school said something like that to her! I think when school officials and teachers try to get involved on this level, even if they think they are helping, they are causeing more problems and its really none of their business what is going on with family dynamic at home!!

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this
That's horrible. I don't see how that's even legal if they did give her information. I would talk with the school and then have a serious talk with her!

So sorry that happened to you.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe it is legal for the school to give her any information.  I worked in the records office of a college and we were not allowed by law to give information to the parents of a student without written consent by the student.  So I would say that the school would need written consent from the legal guardian of the child in order to give out information.  I would call the school and tell them that they do not have consent to share your child's information with her.  Then I would talk to grandma, remind her that she is grandma and "not the momma."  I would be livid too!  I'm so sorry you are going through this meddling!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't allow in your life until she apologized and promised never to do that again. I would calling the school and telling them they are not to give her any info. She was out of line. Tell if she wants to see you she needs to respect your choices. I am a firm believer that we teach people how to treat you.
Mandallyn
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:09 AM
2 moms liked this

You are not being too sensitive.  That is not okay!  You are a grown woman and she needs to accept that you are a parent who has the right to make decisions for your children that are different from the ones she made for you.  

Like the PPs said, call the school and let them know they are not to give her any information.  I'm sorry your mom did that.  Sometimes our parents can act more childish than us.

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM

I actually wouldn't care since I know that she only has my childs best interests at heart. If I am not doing anything wrong or trying to hide anything why would it bother me?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
Regardless if wether you are doing something wrong or not, they are not HER kids. So unless she has as on to believe you are a negligent parent, or abusing your child, etc - she has no say in their education.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
How did you find out she did that?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)