Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My mom called the school!((edit)))

I don't know why but this made me feel violated...like really my mom has made it clear that she doesnt agree with my choice to homeschool. She called the school that I am working with and spoke to the principal now she wants me to MAKE SURE (Yes she bascally yelled that) that she is allowed to "check up" on her grandson.

I see it more as check up on me and so on...She never called his other school, didnt even ask to see the report card but since I am doing something different now she wants to be "in the know"

Am I just being too sensitive???

Yes there are spelling errors...my 8 year old as gone back to not sleeping much so I am exhausted!

Sorry should have said...no the school did not tell her anything the principal said that he couldn't release any info to a non custodial family member. She just doesn't agree with homeschool she cant get the "typical" homeschooling out of her head.

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:25 AM
7 moms liked this

Quoting andersongirl562:

I actually wouldn't care since I know that she only has my childs best interests at heart. If I am not doing anything wrong or trying to hide anything why would it bother me?

Because she does not have the child's best interests in mind.  She is simply pushing for this child to go back into the Public School fold.  If she wants to know what the child is learning and how the child is doing in school she should be forthright and ask questions.  Going behind theparent's back to speak to school officials will cause mistrust in the school-family relationship.  The school will begin questioning more, which takes time away from the parent who is teaching.  Instead she will be spending more time jumping through school hoops. 

I have no problem with my in-laws asking me all kinds of questions about curriculum, testing, methods, etc; however, if they began asking those questions of my evaluator, I would have a big problem with it.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

That's invasive. No way would I put up with that.

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

She's being unreasonable. Homeschooling is a personal choice. She has no right to "make sure" about anything. I would be so pissed.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Did the school tell her anything?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

She can't do that - legally. The school cannot give her any information that you do not want her to have. Period.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM
4 moms liked this

Are you serious? This isn't the woman's child. She has no right.

Everyone who has your child's best intentions at heart has the right to gain personal information from every nook and cranny of your child's life? Their doctors, teachers, etc can feel free to contact your child's school, coaches, doctors, etc? Have fun with that.

This woman's mother has serious boundary issues and a mother complex relating to a child who isn't hers.

Quoting andersongirl562:

I actually wouldn't care since I know that she only has my childs best interests at heart. If I am not doing anything wrong or trying to hide anything why would it bother me?

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

When my daughter first began homeschooling, I was skeptical.  But  because she was the mother, not me, I kept my mouth shut.  She invited me to attend a home school convention, and I was sold...Homeschooling was not what I had thought.  She also involved me in helping them learn, but she instigated that.

What I am trying to say is that you are their  Mother, and your Mother is not.  So keep in mind that you are the boss...you decide how, when and if you will involve her, not her.   

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Quoting debramommyof4:

I would be livid.  That is not ok.  I would tell her that it is not ok and if she has questions she needs to talk to me.  It is not the principles, or teachers job to answer to anyone that is not a parent.

Luckily they didnt give any information about how he is doing but she wants to be put on that list. I just wont allow it.

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Quoting Chasing3:

I'd be livid too!

Also, maybe it's just because I am so reasonable and intellegent ;) but if I worked at a school and got a call from a grandparent or some other relative that is not the parent, I'd basically say I can't answer any of their questions since I don't know them, I don't have any information listing them as having guardianship, and i really can't spend my time getting involved in personal family matters! I hope the school said something like that to her! I think when school officials and teachers try to get involved on this level, even if they think they are helping, they are causeing more problems and its really none of their business what is going on with family dynamic at home!!

The school did say something along that line thats why she wants me to put her on that list...which I wont...She is claiming that she is "just concered that he is falling behind proper school" (ie public school) he can do fractions, algebra, and is learning so much more that they are learning in public school.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:08 PM

I do not blame you.  If she is against homeschooling then she will use anything they say to try to force your hand. 

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Quoting debramommyof4:

I would be livid.  That is not ok.  I would tell her that it is not ok and if she has questions she needs to talk to me.  It is not the principles, or teachers job to answer to anyone that is not a parent.

Luckily they didnt give any information about how he is doing but she wants to be put on that list. I just wont allow it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)