Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you NOT love about homeschooling? ;)

Posted by   + Show Post
Listing what we love about homeschooling is easy, at least for me. But what are some things you don't like or enjoy about homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Replies (61-66):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Hi! I am using a curriculum called a journey through Waldorf grade 2. It is sold at www.waldorfessentials.com
It's a Waldorf curriculum, so it's not like most mainstream curric, just putting that out there. Lol!

I love it because it is well planned out - not a lot of planning on my part. It covers all the subjects in the grade level. And most of all, I love that it teaches the whole child - through the head, heart and hands. It uses art, nature, stories, etc to get the information to the child instead of workbooks/textbooks and drills. (Which are fine for many people! It just hasn't worked for us) and it honors childhood. Children are encouraged to be children (because they really only get to for a short while! Have you ever wished your childhood was shorter and you played less? ;)

Quoting mommy2kaelynn:

What curriculum are you using and why do you like it so much? What grade levels are you using it for?

Quoting Boobah:

Definitely. I love the curriculum I am using now and it's ridiculously cheap. I use it as a guide and then do my own thing a bit. Can't beat $40 for a complete curric. Lol

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I don't like the money I waste on books and programs we end up not liking.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Muscadine1
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Mostly other homeschooling parents lol....ones with too much pride...Thinking their way is the best way
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:33 AM

I find it MORE interesting for me as they get to higher grade levels. 

Quoting Boobah:

I'm concerned about middle and high school. Not because I don't think I can do it, but because it is so boring. Lol!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

My girls are in the 3rd and 6th grades.  I am a little concerned about high school.  Mostly for the writing classes, but with the right materials and rubrics I think we'll be alright.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I bet that is how it will be for me, too. I am finding myself interested in things I never used to be interested in. Probably because I was taught in a dry way in public school. It's so much more fun when you get to really dive into things.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I find it MORE interesting for me as they get to higher grade levels. 

Quoting Boobah:

I'm concerned about middle and high school. Not because I don't think I can do it, but because it is so boring. Lol!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

My girls are in the 3rd and 6th grades.  I am a little concerned about high school.  Mostly for the writing classes, but with the right materials and rubrics I think we'll be alright.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Honestly, what I don't love about homeschooling is what I am usually somewhat ambivalent about motherhood in general; the hours are long, the breaks nonexistent, and it gets lonely. I'm a born troubleshooter and a creative thinker, and in my career, I was well paid and usually appreciated for those qualities. At home, my limits are tested by this very energetic, active, mercurial, little person, and being a mom is sometimes a thankless task. Just when we are settled on a routine and a method, he advances or changes overnight. It's mostly the isolation that causes my frustration, I think. We meet groups and we get out of the house regularly, but literally all but one of my friends have moved away from here, and things like time constraints, commitments, and living outside of town conspire to keep us from really connecting with possible new friends. Our town is not necessarily the most friendly and genuine, and folks here are pretty polarized politically, so being a middle of the road type of person and being too tired for artifice doesn't make me a hot ticket on the social circuit. ;0) I have hope that when we eventually move away, we can move near old friends or more easily make new ones.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree, I sometimes miss being "good at something" and recognized for it. Or having a job that is actually done and can be checked off. As a homeschooling mom, things are never done. You finish laundry and there is more in the hamper. You wash the dishes and someone puts a bowl in. You pick up a mess and three more are made behind you. So, I guess it doesn't really have to be just being a homeschooling mom, but a mom in general (or SAHM) can be frustrating.
I get lonely sometimes. I miss having a true friend. Ever since becoming a SAHM I have "grown apart" from all my friends, and the occasional outing isn't enough to build a close relationship so far.

Quoting tuffymama:

Honestly, what I don't love about homeschooling is what I am usually somewhat ambivalent about motherhood in general; the hours are long, the breaks nonexistent, and it gets lonely. I'm a born troubleshooter and a creative thinker, and in my career, I was well paid and usually appreciated for those qualities. At home, my limits are tested by this very energetic, active, mercurial, little person, and being a mom is sometimes a thankless task. Just when we are settled on a routine and a method, he advances or changes overnight. It's mostly the isolation that causes my frustration, I think. We meet groups and we get out of the house regularly, but literally all but one of my friends have moved away from here, and things like time constraints, commitments, and living outside of town conspire to keep us from really connecting with possible new friends. Our town is not necessarily the most friendly and genuine, and folks here are pretty polarized politically, so being a middle of the road type of person and being too tired for artifice doesn't make me a hot ticket on the social circuit. ;0) I have hope that when we eventually move away, we can move near old friends or more easily make new ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)