Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you NOT love about homeschooling? ;)

Posted by   + Show Post
Listing what we love about homeschooling is easy, at least for me. But what are some things you don't like or enjoy about homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Replies (21-30):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
We are doing kinder this year. So he hasn't ever been to public school. But surely, putting him in for first grade will magically make him love learning and stop arguing with little sis ;)

Quoting Boobah:

Ha! How ironic! My daughter had lovely behavior before she went to kindergarten. She was in public kinder for a year and had such a bad attitude. She was homeschooled after that (currently third grade) and is back to her usual helpful, kind self. It took all that summer to get her back though!

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I don't like my MIL judging me. Every time we have a behavior issue it's because "he isn't in public school."
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

What do I not like..that's a hard question.

While I would rather not report to our Charter, I really don't mind it because I am confident in what we are doing so it really in't stressful to "prove" anything to them.

Somettimes I don't like being the meany saying,"You have to do this!"  Then I think that the worst day homeschooling was better than most days of homework in public school.

I think the hardest thing for me is still - even into our 7th year of homescholing - telling my Type-A, OCD self that it is OK to take a day off, or two and then get back to school.

Today DD has a party in her co-op classes. They have been studying Africa nad have a family from Africa coming in for a multi-cultural feast. The boys argued that it isn't fair that even thought DD is "in class" all she is doing is playing and eating so why can't they have a free day too?  I agreed to a light day = math only but they will have to all work next Monday (which would have been a holiday with our chrter school.) I'm sitting here going INSANE thinking "They need to be working..OMG..more video games...HOLY COW! A day off is VERY stressful for me.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM
That sounds like my Girl Scout troop as long as "parents showing up an hour late because they wanted to take a nap" is tossed in there. :)

I understand your pain though. Probably cheap babysitting for some folks.

Quoting jen2150:

Homeschoolers. I didn't realize how annoying some homeschoolers could be until I started my own co-op. Moms refusing to volunteer, arriving late all the time, and not showing up and letting you know. I literally had someone message me an hour after class started. We are having a meeting after thanksgiving. I also decided to start charging. I was just asking $5 for a two month class to cover supplies.
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:15 PM
Lol, that's funny. I had a few English professors in high school who were never clear on directions but always graded by strange unknown rules. That's probably the only real reason that section makes me nervous.

When they get to high school I can teach them to write software programs, whether they like it or not! That'll be fun for me anyhow. :)

Quoting Boobah:

I'm concerned about middle and high school. Not because I don't think I can do it, but because it is so boring. Lol!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

My girls are in the 3rd and 6th grades.  I am a little concerned about high school.  Mostly for the writing classes, but with the right materials and rubrics I think we'll be alright.

ncale
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Oh another plus in favor of homeschool! My two have been quite different since starting public school and not in a good way :-(

Quoting Boobah:

Ha! How ironic! My daughter had lovely behavior before she went to kindergarten. She was in public kinder for a year and had such a bad attitude. She was homeschooled after that (currently third grade) and is back to her usual helpful, kind self. It took all that summer to get her back though!

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

I don't like my MIL judging me. Every time we have a behavior issue it's because "he isn't in public school."
Mweddle
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I am feeling a lot of pressure. I always wonder if I am doing enough.  I also hate how my housework piles up.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM

worrying that I'm doing it right or doing enough. Worrying that the laws will get too difficult and demanding. Wishing we had a more active social life (well, that is independent of school, I guess)

wowguildmomma
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM

No naptime for mommy

This was all I could think of as I am quite sleep deprived atm. lol

ambcortez
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM

Ignorant people. The ones who think my kids need public school for socialization, accusing me of ruining my kids' lives because I don't have a teaching degree, making comments like "I feel bad for you/your kids". It's very irritating.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I hate trying to find curricula that will work with my childs learning best.  It's either all wrong or costs a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN