Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you NOT love about homeschooling? ;)

Posted by   + Show Post
Listing what we love about homeschooling is easy, at least for me. But what are some things you don't like or enjoy about homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Replies (31-40):
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Math!  Right now it is the one subject I dread, but we are working on that.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:06 PM
We use a Waldorf curriculum called a journey through Waldorf. Normally it's $60 but I always wait until it is on sale. I got mine at www.waldorfessentials.com
When we use a "pricey" curriculum, we use oak meadow. It's expensive new but I usually buy it used for about $100-120 shipped.

Quoting tansyflower:

If you don't mind me asking what curriculum do you use?  That is a great price!

Quoting Boobah:

Definitely. I love the curriculum I am using now and it's ridiculously cheap. I use it as a guide and then do my own thing a bit. Can't beat $40 for a complete curric. Lol

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I don't like the money I waste on books and programs we end up not liking.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:08 PM
See above :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

What are you using?

Quoting Boobah:

Definitely. I love the curriculum I am using now and it's ridiculously cheap. I use it as a guide and then do my own thing a bit. Can't beat $40 for a complete curric. Lol

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I don't like the money I waste on books and programs we end up not liking.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM
That sounds rough :( have you tried a different delivery method? Or finding something he is passionate about and incorporating it?

Quoting kajira:

I don't like that to get my kid to do his work it's like pulling teeth. he HATES it. He hates school, and doesn't want to do any of the work. He hates when he has to redo his writing because I won't accept laziness or sloppiness.

I hate that I have to monitor him when he does his math so he can't cheat. (he has tried to cheat a lot with a calculator, or looking up answers on his computer.) 

So, I would like to just teach him stuff and be able to trust he'll do a good job so we can move on to other things.... 

He was failing in public school because of these traits too, and at leat at home, I can stay on top of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM
I always loved researching curric too. :)

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I can't think of a single thing I don't like. I've never not had the support of family and friends, we don't report to anyone, my kids are enthusiastic (for the most part) and we love the flexibility of taking a day to do whatever we feel like doing, and I love, love, love the research of different curriculums. Weird, I know. I'm even excited about high school! I  am having a slight issue with finding the right fit for extracurricular activites, dd is wishy-washy about what she is "into". One day she wants guitar lessons, another day art. She hates sports and doesn't seem to fit in with a couple of support groups we've tried. She's 13, so she's not always logical and easy going like she used to be. LOL.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I am quite surprised at how much I have calmed down, and it am very type a as well.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

What do I not like..that's a hard question.

While I would rather not report to our Charter, I really don't mind it because I am confident in what we are doing so it really in't stressful to "prove" anything to them.

Somettimes I don't like being the meany saying,"You have to do this!"  Then I think that the worst day homeschooling was better than most days of homework in public school.

I think the hardest thing for me is still - even into our 7th year of homescholing - telling my Type-A, OCD self that it is OK to take a day off, or two and then get back to school.

Today DD has a party in her co-op classes. They have been studying Africa nad have a family from Africa coming in for a multi-cultural feast. The boys argued that it isn't fair that even thought DD is "in class" all she is doing is playing and eating so why can't they have a free day too?  I agreed to a light day = math only but they will have to all work next Monday (which would have been a holiday with our chrter school.) I'm sitting here going INSANE thinking "They need to be working..OMG..more video games...HOLY COW! A day off is VERY stressful for me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom24munchkins
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
I hate that I feel like if my child struggles with something it is somehow my fault.

And honestly, some days I realllllllllly wish I dropped them off at school. LOL
kajira
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Yes. and we do what works for him. It's just hard sometimes, because even though we make things work and are always adapting to his needs, he doesn't like to cooperate.

He's special needs.

Quoting Boobah:

That sounds rough :( have you tried a different delivery method? Or finding something he is passionate about and incorporating it?

Quoting kajira:

I don't like that to get my kid to do his work it's like pulling teeth. he HATES it. He hates school, and doesn't want to do any of the work. He hates when he has to redo his writing because I won't accept laziness or sloppiness.

I hate that I have to monitor him when he does his math so he can't cheat. (he has tried to cheat a lot with a calculator, or looking up answers on his computer.) 

So, I would like to just teach him stuff and be able to trust he'll do a good job so we can move on to other things.... 

He was failing in public school because of these traits too, and at leat at home, I can stay on top of it.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I won't lie, sometimes I daydream about the bus. ;) but I've been the public school route and know the few hours I get aren't worth it. The homework, bullies, crying, arguing,teachers not helping, junk food every day, not enough time to eat lunch, etc.
No. Thank. You. Lol

Quoting Mom24munchkins:

I hate that I feel like if my child struggles with something it is somehow my fault.

And honestly, some days I realllllllllly wish I dropped them off at school. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Aww, I understand. Just think of how much harder it would be if he didn't have such an awesome mom helping him and adapting things to his needs. You're a rock star :)

Quoting kajira:

Yes. and we do what works for him. It's just hard sometimes, because even though we make things work and are always adapting to his needs, he doesn't like to cooperate.

He's special needs.

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting kajira:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)