Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you NOT love about homeschooling? ;)

Posted by   + Show Post
Listing what we love about homeschooling is easy, at least for me. But what are some things you don't like or enjoy about homeschooling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Replies (41-50):
mhaney03
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Wrapping presents/shopping.  They are never out long enough!

kajira
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

haha, thanks. I normally don't try to post honestly negative things, i'm definitely more of a positive poster. but hey, sometimes it's nice to admit the hard things too. LOL

Quoting Boobah:

Aww, I understand. Just think of how much harder it would be if he didn't have such an awesome mom helping him and adapting things to his needs. You're a rock star :)

Quoting kajira:

Yes. and we do what works for him. It's just hard sometimes, because even though we make things work and are always adapting to his needs, he doesn't like to cooperate.

He's special needs.

Quoting Boobah:

That sounds rough :( have you tried a different delivery method? Or finding something he is passionate about and incorporating it?

Quoting kajira:

I don't like that to get my kid to do his work it's like pulling teeth. he HATES it. He hates school, and doesn't want to do any of the work. He hates when he has to redo his writing because I won't accept laziness or sloppiness.

I hate that I have to monitor him when he does his math so he can't cheat. (he has tried to cheat a lot with a calculator, or looking up answers on his computer.) 

So, I would like to just teach him stuff and be able to trust he'll do a good job so we can move on to other things.... 

He was failing in public school because of these traits too, and at leat at home, I can stay on top of it.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Thanks.

Quoting Boobah:

See above :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

What are you using?

Quoting Boobah:

Definitely. I love the curriculum I am using now and it's ridiculously cheap. I use it as a guide and then do my own thing a bit. Can't beat $40 for a complete curric. Lol

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I don't like the money I waste on books and programs we end up not liking.  

tansyflower
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM

ahhh my sister sent her kids to a waldorf school...i had no idea they made a hs curriculum!

Quoting Boobah:

We use a Waldorf curriculum called a journey through Waldorf. Normally it's $60 but I always wait until it is on sale. I got mine at www.waldorfessentials.com
When we use a "pricey" curriculum, we use oak meadow. It's expensive new but I usually buy it used for about $100-120 shipped.

Quoting tansyflower:

If you don't mind me asking what curriculum do you use?  That is a great price!

Quoting Boobah:

Definitely. I love the curriculum I am using now and it's ridiculously cheap. I use it as a guide and then do my own thing a bit. Can't beat $40 for a complete curric. Lol

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't love dealing with my kids when they have attitude issues. Honestly today has been one of the hardest days of homeschooling for a while. They are smart mouthed and they were very unfocused. It was a nightmare.
Precious333
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
No break! Lol, atleast thats how i feel at the moment.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Definitely. Everyone needs to vent!! I hope I didn't make you feel bad about it. Lord knows I have my share of negativity posts. Lol

Quoting kajira:

haha, thanks. I normally don't try to post honestly negative things, i'm definitely more of a positive poster. but hey, sometimes it's nice to admit the hard things too. LOL

Quoting Boobah:

Aww, I understand. Just think of how much harder it would be if he didn't have such an awesome mom helping him and adapting things to his needs. You're a rock star :)

Quoting kajira:

Yes. and we do what works for him. It's just hard sometimes, because even though we make things work and are always adapting to his needs, he doesn't like to cooperate.

He's special needs.

Quoting Boobah:

That sounds rough :( have you tried a different delivery method? Or finding something he is passionate about and incorporating it?

Quoting kajira:

I don't like that to get my kid to do his work it's like pulling teeth. he HATES it. He hates school, and doesn't want to do any of the work. He hates when he has to redo his writing because I won't accept laziness or sloppiness.

I hate that I have to monitor him when he does his math so he can't cheat. (he has tried to cheat a lot with a calculator, or looking up answers on his computer.) 

So, I would like to just teach him stuff and be able to trust he'll do a good job so we can move on to other things.... 

He was failing in public school because of these traits too, and at leat at home, I can stay on top of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Yes, there are several! It would be pretty easy to put together one on your own, but for the price, it's worth it not to reinvent the wheel. And it's a really good, complete program. I just change things here and there as needed for my family and our plans. I am an unschooled at heart, and Waldorf is easy to be relaxed with.

Quoting tansyflower:

ahhh my sister sent her kids to a waldorf school...i had no idea they made a hs curriculum!

Quoting Boobah:

We use a Waldorf curriculum called a journey through Waldorf. Normally it's $60 but I always wait until it is on sale. I got mine at www.waldorfessentials.com

When we use a "pricey" curriculum, we use oak meadow. It's expensive new but I usually buy it used for about $100-120 shipped.

Quoting tansyflower:

If you don't mind me asking what curriculum do you use?  That is a great price!

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Hugs! I hope the day gets better, and they start behaving for you! I saw a quote once that talked about how we expect kids to be perfect all the time, and never have a bad day or attitude, when we ourselves have bad days and bad attitudes sometimes. Not saying that is you, it just reminded me of the quote and thought I'd share :)

Quoting chotovec82:

I don't love dealing with my kids when they have attitude issues. Honestly today has been one of the hardest days of homeschooling for a while. They are smart mouthed and they were very unfocused. It was a nightmare.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
I feel that way sometimes too. My mom is awesome and will usually help me out if I have an appointment or something so I'm very lucky to have her close by. Yes, a dentist or chiropractic appointment is a break for me. Haha! Actually, I'm not supposed to know about it, but my husband has "booked" her Friday for us to have a date!! I can't tell you how excited I am!

Quoting Precious333:

No break! Lol, atleast thats how i feel at the moment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)