Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do your kids contribute to the household?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 34 Replies
Are there certain things they are responsible for doing? (Feed the dog, sweep the living room, etc)
What are their ages?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Mine are 4, 6 and 8.  They contribute heavily to the household.  But chores are rarely done in isolation, we all do it together and it makes it more fun.  They are responsible for much of the laundry, dishwashing, and sweeping.  They are also responsible for some of the barn work.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM

9 yr old: Does dishes 2x a day (put away the clean ones in the morning, and load the dishwasher and start it and hand wash any dishes requiring handwashing or that didn't fit in the dishwasher at night)
            Responsible for cleaning up the "kids" bathroom once a week (including washing toilet and tub)
            Help wash windows when needed
            Help scrub walls and doors twice a month
            Vaccuum the living room at least once a week 
           Clean her room
           Clean dog dishes and make sure he has clean water
           Help deal with taking out all the garbage on garbage night
4 yr old: Vaccuum foyer and basement (not carpeted so it's pretty easy)
            Sweep kitchen
            Put away silverware
            Wipe the table after dinner
            Help wipe down lower cabinets twice a month
            Help scrub walls twice a month
            Help wash windows when needed
            Clean his room
            Feed the dog

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

By being children? That they simply *are* is a huge contribution. Last night I was sighing over the toys on the floor, and my husband quietly stated that he wouldn't change the toys on the floor for anything. He's right, of course, as usual :)

As to chores... well, the 12 year old girl child is responsible for taking out the recycling. Otherwise, she helps when asked. She's pretty great about that. She helps a lot with the boys. The 4 and 1 year old aren't really responsible for any chores.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Mine have a whole list of chores, actually. They are also responsible for the dogs food.

angelamiles05
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM

My kids pick up their toys, sometime they put their clothes away after I fold them. Yep thats about it.LOL... So pretty much nothing compared to some of ya'll. I am not sure if I am raising spoiled kids now or if some of you are putting to much on young ones. Mine are 4, 5, and 8.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:55 AM
The biggest contribution they make right now is picking up behind themselves. My 7 yr old also helps with dishes, clothes, and feeding our animals.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:26 AM
My two alternate each night with washing dishes. They are responsible for feeding and watering the goat, the dogs etc, and they do their own laundry. I'm trying to get them to clean their own bathroom, but one is a germaphobe and gags when I mention it, and the other one does a horrible job of it. They also take out trash and vacuum.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I have a chore wheel. My kids get 4 chores a day.

They have to feed, water and play with a pet (dog, cat, bearded dragon and frogs, or fish), sweep floors, clean a bathroom ( they are assigned one of 3), help cook, do dishes, laundry or a room ( their room, playroom, living room or school room). Oh and one has check the bathrooms.

They are 3,4,6 and 7. I only expect them to do as well as they can for their ages and of course my husband and I help as needed.

They earn a point per chore and have a point system to earn prizes.

Quoting Boobah:

Are there certain things they are responsible for doing? (Feed the dog, sweep the living room, etc)
What are their ages?
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
I do not know if I give mine to much. But I had to learn how to do laundry, cook and clean everything as an adult. Besides dishes, which I hate, I knew nothing as a grown woman and had to learn it all. I may be over compensating with my children. I do not know.

Quoting angelamiles05:

My kids pick up their toys, sometime they put their clothes away after I fold them. Yep thats about it.LOL... So pretty much nothing compared to some of ya'll. I am not sure if I am raising spoiled kids now or if some of you are putting to much on young ones. Mine are 4, 5, and 8.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Used to be the same way, with my kids doing little to help out. But I soon learned, and so did they, that if everyone helps mommy out, I have more time to do things they want, and I'm also happier and more agreeable. ;)

Quoting angelamiles05:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN