Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do your kids contribute to the household?

Posted by   + Show Post
Are there certain things they are responsible for doing? (Feed the dog, sweep the living room, etc)
What are their ages?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
kajira
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM

My 9 year old is responsible for telling us when the dogs/cats need food in their bin, giving the goats water, and keeping food dishes full. It's part of his morning routine.

He's also responsible for doing dishes, we cook for him so he can help out.  We sometimes try to get him to sweep the kitchen floor, but end up redoing it ourselves so many times that I often just forgo asking him.

Beyond that, he cleans his bathroom once a week, and helps pick up the living room and him and his sisters bedrooms. (his sister is almost 3, and she tries to help.)

His sister, likes to help feed the animals. She likes to help sweep, scrub walls, do dishes, and all the domestic-y stuff. I get her to help me fold laundry and put stuff away. She likes cleaning and for now, enjoys being included in the house hold chores.

she doesn't have anything "official" yet, but as she gets older, she'll start getting more responsbilities.

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I have five kids they are responsible for the following:

15 year old....Kitchen, two loads of laundry daily, Keep room clean

13 year old....Living room, move loads of laundry started by 15 year old to dryer from washer, keep room clean

11 year old Trash, fold laundry done by other two, Feed dogs, Keep room clean

9 year old Small bathroom, put laundry up which was done by others, Feed cats, Keep room clean

6 year old Hallways, Feed Fish, Keep room Clean

Collectively on Saturdays they clean out the van and on Sundays they do yard work.

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If he doesnt do the sweeping right when asked why dont you show him one time then not allow him to stop until it is done right? That way he learns to do something properly an dthe first time he is asked? Just curious

Quoting kajira:

My 9 year old is responsible for telling us when the dogs/cats need food in their bin, giving the goats water, and keeping food dishes full. It's part of his morning routine.

He's also responsible for doing dishes, we cook for him so he can help out.  We sometimes try to get him to sweep the kitchen floor, but end up redoing it ourselves so many times that I often just forgo asking him.

Beyond that, he cleans his bathroom once a week, and helps pick up the living room and him and his sisters bedrooms. (his sister is almost 3, and she tries to help.)

His sister, likes to help feed the animals. She likes to help sweep, scrub walls, do dishes, and all the domestic-y stuff. I get her to help me fold laundry and put stuff away. She likes cleaning and for now, enjoys being included in the house hold chores.

she doesn't have anything "official" yet, but as she gets older, she'll start getting more responsbilities.

kajira
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM

because he's special needs, and we have other life skills we focus on. Sweeping isn't worth the 4 hour meltdown over it when Ic an do it myself in 30 seconds.

We've spent the last 2 years working on washing a dish correctly and he still ends up re-washing them half the time he does them.

If he was a normal kid, i'd hold him to a different expectation, but i hold to him to what he's capable of doing and slowly push boundaries as he gets other things down.

Sweeping right now, is not worth the fight.

Edited to add : I've spent 2 years teaching him to sweep too.... but he just can't do it well. It's not his fault entirely. Right now, it's not worth the stress or hassle when we are trying to move and figure out job stuff. I'll worry about it later. LOL

Quoting andersongirl562:

If he doesnt do the sweeping right when asked why dont you show him one time then not allow him to stop until it is done right? That way he learns to do something properly an dthe first time he is asked? Just curious

Quoting kajira:

Living with Autism - The quirky kitty.

Our autistic Family - A Dad's point of view on living with Autism

tansyflower
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:38 PM
3 moms liked this

my 20 month old is responsible for getting things sticky.  this is a big job since its my saint bernards job to lick up all the sticky stuff.  those two are a very good team lol.  but if you direct him he loves to help pick stuff up.  he thinks its a game :)

my three year old has other "jobs" that are only his.  he feeds and waters the cats.  he also feeds the dogs.  he helps me ferment my chicken feed by measuring out scoops into the bucket and the right amount of water.  he also "helps" dad do downstairs work.  so if dad is building something and needs a hammer, hoyt goes and gets it.  he knows the names of almost all the different tools my husband uses.  he is also my dh's chain assistant.  so when my husband is sharpening his chainsaw chains he gets to turn them in between grinds.  he also helps stack wood from the splitter into the wood pile and hands dad pieces when he stocks the wood stove.  actually when i think about it he does a lot of stuff around here including helping with dishes :)

most of the time it takes ten times longer to get them to "help" but i figure its just another way for them to use their imagination and learn resposibility at the same time!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Mine are 10, 9, 7, 6, and 5.  Yeah, I feel like it's almost nothing compared to you all, but they do have responsibilities.  Their own toys and books, their own clothes (they fold their own laundry every week, too).  My oldest are getting ready to be responsible for their own laundry.  They already know the hows and such, it's just going to actually be theirs to get accomplished.  And my goal with that is for them to be more aware and responsible.  They clean their own bathrooms, help out with the dog, windows and door knobs.  Most things are as asked, but they fold their laundry every week.  We're working on every night putting their toys and books away so that when I ask them to clean their rooms, it's not such a huge deal.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

My 8yo ds is responsible for cleaning the litter box, his bathroom, taking out the trash, washing 10 dishes and sweeping the living room. My 14 yo dd, cleans her room, the bathroom, washes 10 dishes, vacumes and does a 5 min clean in the rest of the house. Oh and she walks the dogs too. My 6yo dd only waters the pants when she gets home.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

angelamiles05
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:14 PM

I do think they could help more but I don't know how I feel about them handling chemicals. I know they few times I have asked them to do something other than normal they end up making more work for me.

Quoting Boobah:

Used to be the same way, with my kids doing little to help out. But I soon learned, and so did they, that if everyone helps mommy out, I have more time to do things they want, and I'm also happier and more agreeable. ;)

Quoting angelamiles05:

My kids pick up their toys, sometime they put their clothes away after I fold them. Yep thats about it.LOL... So pretty much nothing compared to some of ya'll. I am not sure if I am raising spoiled kids now or if some of you are putting to much on young ones. Mine are 4, 5, and 8.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:28 PM

My kids use lysol wipes and windex.  They are the least caustic chemicals for cleaning and they can use them well.  My 3 year old and 4 year old have to have me or my husband present to use them though.

Quoting angelamiles05:

I do think they could help more but I don't know how I feel about them handling chemicals. I know they few times I have asked them to do something other than normal they end up making more work for me.

Quoting Boobah:

Used to be the same way, with my kids doing little to help out. But I soon learned, and so did they, that if everyone helps mommy out, I have more time to do things they want, and I'm also happier and more agreeable. ;)

Quoting angelamiles05:

My kids pick up their toys, sometime they put their clothes away after I fold them. Yep thats about it.LOL... So pretty much nothing compared to some of ya'll. I am not sure if I am raising spoiled kids now or if some of you are putting to much on young ones. Mine are 4, 5, and 8.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:40 PM

We do chores and responsibilities.

Responsibilities are things everyone is responsible for ...

• Everyone eat so everyone helps shop for groceries, load and unload the car, and bring them in the houses. I LIKE putting things away and wantto be able to find them so they don't have to help there.
  • Everyone eats so everyone helps set he table and clears their own dishes
  • Everyone sorts their own laundry, I run it through the machines so everything is on the right temp, and then everyone helps fold and puts their own stuff away.
  • Everyone is responsible for their own uniforms - boy Scotus, girl Scouts, etc. If htey need laundry other than on my designated days, they have to do it themselves. I don't do laundry on request. 
  • Everyone picks up after themselves so thier crap isn't left all over the family areas and keeps their own rooms clean.

Chores are those things I pay for because I believe they are my job as a SAHM

• Each kid has one "animal job" - DS1 does doggie dookie duty (gets land mines out of yard); DD feeds the dog and keeps her water full, DS2 does cat litter.  I pay for because the dog was bought as my training partner. She is a very speciic working dog for ME and so I pay for them taking care of her.
  • DS1 loads the dishwasher; DS2 unloads, DD clears any dishes left ot because it happens @@ and wipes down the table
  • DS1 takes out the trash from the kitchen to the outside cans and the cans to the curb. Ds1 takes the trash from the office and bathrooms to the kitchen trash. DD does all the recycling. I have a trash can in the kitchen I toss al lrecycling in. She sorts the $$ recycling from the cty trash recycling and takes them to the designated outside place ($ stuff in shed, other in bin)

There are other times I ask them to help with random things as soetimes  Ipay for them, sometimes it is just expected.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)