Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do your kids contribute to the household?

Posted by   + Show Post
Are there certain things they are responsible for doing? (Feed the dog, sweep the living room, etc)
What are their ages?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM

DS is 8, he helps with the trash and the dishes, is responsible for his room and helping keep the bathroom clean.  He has also decided that he likes doing laundry, so he does his now as well.  Sometimes he offers to sweep or mop or vaccum. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:25 PM
We use a vinegar and water mixture for most things, so they can wipe counters down, door handles, the kitchen table. They "help" sweep, and my 8 year old will use the swiffer type deal. The 4 year old is really good at dusting our tv cabinet, we just use a microfiber cloth - or an old sock. Lol! Then they help feed the cat, the dog, water them, help me cook, play in the dish water... I mean do dishes with me. Ha! My 8yo makes tea every night before bed, we all clean up the living room and kitchen before bed. Even my 18 month old picks up and puts things away, takes things to the laundry hamper, throws things away, helps stack the cloth diapers.

Quoting angelamiles05:

I do think they could help more but I don't know how I feel about them handling chemicals. I know they few times I have asked them to do something other than normal they end up making more work for me.

Quoting Boobah:

Used to be the same way, with my kids doing little to help out. But I soon learned, and so did they, that if everyone helps mommy out, I have more time to do things they want, and I'm also happier and more agreeable. ;)

Quoting angelamiles05:

My kids pick up their toys, sometime they put their clothes away after I fold them. Yep thats about it.LOL... So pretty much nothing compared to some of ya'll. I am not sure if I am raising spoiled kids now or if some of you are putting to much on young ones. Mine are 4, 5, and 8.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nicki1018
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:02 PM

My kids are six and five. They have to clean their rooms daily, take their plates to the trash, clean them off and put them in the sink. They have to clean their bathroom as well. They also have to clean up any mess they made. 

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:24 PM
That's sweet Aimee.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

By being children? That they simply *are* is a huge contribution. Last night I was sighing over the toys on the floor, and my husband quietly stated that he wouldn't change the toys on the floor for anything. He's right, of course, as usual :)

As to chores... well, the 12 year old girl child is responsible for taking out the recycling. Otherwise, she helps when asked. She's pretty great about that. She helps a lot with the boys. The 4 and 1 year old aren't really responsible for any chores.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Mine don't necessarily have assigned chores but they help me clean (we all have gloves - I don't want their hands in chemicals either), cook, put their own dishes in the dishwasher & help put them in the cupboards in the morning.

During the weekend everybody picks an area & dusts, vacuums, etc. They're starting to get that proud feeling when they've tackled an area and it gleams afterwards.
cjsix
by Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Mine are teen and preteen and they help with a lot of various things around the house and yard, It is a necessary part of growing up and learning how to do the things they need to know to be on their own someday.
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

My Children each have their own control journals (thank you fly lady).  I didn't even realize I was doing it until they were already created....and they have made them their "own".

My youngest (5) takes care of ALL her own personal hygiene (minus hair washing), folds and puts away laundry, makes her bed, feed the cats, preps her school area, preps her skating bag, cleans her room, picks up the living room, wipes down the bathroom counter, puts away stray shoes (everyones), vacuums the hallway and their bathroom, sorts laundry (once a week) and clears her own dishes from the table.  She is also willing to help me with any task I think she is able to accomplish.

My oldest (7..nearing 8) responsible for ALL personal hygiene (minus hair washing), makes her bed, cleans her room, sorts, folds and puts away laundry, vacuums the living room, kitch and hallway, picking up the living room, wipes down the dining room table, preps her school area, preps her skate bag, waters the cats, puts her dishes in the sink.  She also occasionally helps me get the laundry into the dryer and does other projects as I need the help.

My kids are learning that it takes a team to keep this house running smoothly and we all have to do our part.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Yes our children have jobs that they do to help out in the house & they are more then welcomed to change them if they like! Right now the younger 2 are responsible for feeding all the pets! My Daughter dose the laundry, my youngest son picks up the living room & my oldest helps with everything!

saphiraka
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:56 PM

10 and 12 year old girls.. They share a room.. It is there job to keep it clean as Im not the one in there throwing stuff in the floor  lol.   Other chores are alternating each day.. 1 empties all the small trash cans (we have one in every room, no excuse not to throw stuff away, its not that far  lol)  the other scoops the cats litter pan..     1 feeds the outside pet, 1 feeds the inside pet.   One washes the dishes, one dries and puts up..   They each have their own laundry day.. and They will put their clothes in the machine (since 1/2 the time they are inside out and I make them fix it lol)  I set it to washing for them.  Then I put in dryer since they would have to use step ladder.. They take their own clothes out of dryer and hang up/fold /put away.  Both help in the kitchen at dinner time, as that is part of the learning process..  And before they leave my house they will know how to take care of themselves.  They will know how to clean, how to cook, how to do their laundry.. cause Momma aint coming over and doing it when they are grown. lol

ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:01 AM

My boys are 6 and 8. They have their chores to do. My youngest is to unload the dishwasher and put the dishes (except for silverware and plates) away, he's to sweep the floors and clean his own room. That includes taking his cloths back to the laundry room. 

My oldest is to load the dishwasher (excpet the sliver ware i do that) wash the pots and pans and dust the tables in the living room and clean his own room. That includes taking his laundry back to the laundry room. Each week the boys take turns cleaning their bathroom. I supervise and they are to help fold and put away their own laundry. 

When DH is home he gets to do more of that stuff and take out the trash. I dust the tv and entertainment center, wipe down the stove, counters and kitchen table, and I clean my room and my bathroom. I do the silver ware and of course when they don't feel well i do their chores.

My oldest has Asthma so when he starts coughing, I keep him away from most of the dusting and stuff. My youngest is currently only allowed to pick up his laundry and put it in a basket for me since he fell and broke his collar bone. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)