Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Launch of MAVEN and a comet we can see....

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
  • 5 Replies

DH told us about comet ISON, so we decided to look into that today....http://spaceweather.com/

It's best to see in the mornings before sunrise in the east.  On Thanksgiving it is going to enter the sun's atmosphere.  They aren't sure what happened, but the tail of the comet is really long.

While looking at this info, we came across the launch of MAVEN, which is going to Mars to try to determine why it didn't turn into a planet like ours (from what we have learned so far).  We are researching this more and hopefully the kids will get to watch the launch later (1:28pm EST starts the "launch window"). We are reading the blog, starting at the beginning:  http://blogs.nasa.gov/maven/page/3/

Just thought someone else might find it interesting :)

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Awesome!  Thank you for the info!  We love searching for comets, and ISON seems easier to see than most.

The MAVEN probe sounds ultra-cool!  That should be interesting to learn what it finds.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Awesome. I hadn't heard about the comet.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

We learned it will take 10 months for MAVEN to get to Mars!  My kids are not happy to wait, lol.  This may be an extended learning experience ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Awesome!  Thank you for the info!  We love searching for comets, and ISON seems easier to see than most.

The MAVEN probe sounds ultra-cool!  That should be interesting to learn what it finds.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Well that makes sense that it would take so long to arrive, but I even feel myself asking "is it there yet?" :)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We learned it will take 10 months for MAVEN to get to Mars!  My kids are not happy to wait, lol.  This may be an extended learning experience ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:24 PM

That is cool thanks for sharing it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)