Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Flash cards- Yay or nay?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you use flash cards to practice math facts? Or spelling words or ABCs?

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Replies (31-38):
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I haven't used them in a LONG time until very recently.  My kids love to just play with them.  My youngest has been entered into a spelling bee and we are using the flash cards to prep.  She then brought a box of them in the car yesterday when we were going on a short road trip.  They love them...they are also using them for states and presidents.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:21 PM

We have used them to make games that help learn math, letters, numbers, animals & all other kinds of things!

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 3:44 PM

no

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We absolutely do, but I don't just hold them up and have my 5yo say them.  We make games with the flash cards like memory.  One thing we do with the sight words flash cards is I put them all face up on the table, and I leave my daughter to it and say, "When you can say one of them, you can turn that one over."  She learned all the Kindergarten sight words and some of the 1st grade ones in 2 months that way, and she loves it.  If she comes across one she doesn't know, she asks me and I tell her to look at the card, then I tell her the word, she repeats the word twice, then has to use it in a sentence before she can flip it over.  Works great!

Yesterday I did THIS with her sight words flash cards and I even made additon cards to go with it.  It was an art project and I got inspired, and every time she said one of the words, she got to put another piece on the art project.  There's so many games you can do with flash cards rather than just holding them up and going through a stack of them.

I know some kids don't do well with rote memorization or flash cards, but if you make it fun it doesn't seem like such a task or like rote memorization.

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:36 PM

When my oldest was about 2 she loved flash cards (ABC's, colors, shapes). They were given to us and I never thought wed actually use them but she was obsessed with them. eventually we started trying them because it was the only thing that kept her attention. 

jakana2369
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM
My girls love them. We do sight words, presidents, states.

I am waiting for math ones.

Right now my girls love there sign language one. We have a zipper pouch and I take them everywhere we go. Its fun if we are in traffic or line at a store or the doctors office.
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Math facts, yes, for memorization.  Then we move to worksheets for speed.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

No, I can't get in to them.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)