Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

public school preschool

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
  • 27 Replies
My niece is 4. Her other grandma (moms mom) convinced her mother (bros gf) that she NEEEDED preschool. She was tested and was at a late kindergarten level. They weren't going to accept her except they need funding for other kids next year. She is the smartest in her class (per teacher).
Wanna know what they learn? Little silly finger songs, how to paint, color, etc. She has YET to bring home anything with the alphabet or numbers and they don't let her write her own name on her papers and they cut out all her stuff. Oh and of course she can't talk during class to other kids and they have a 20 min recess. I'm sorry, but where's the learning? I'm honestly not surprised. But SERIOUSLY? Teach the kids their ABC's and 123's or they will never get into kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

What are you talking about - never get into kindergarten? Public kindergarten can't require they know anything - if they did so, preschool would be mandatory.

And I'm happy to see a pre-k program more play based.

(and this is coming from an academically rigorous homeschool mom - it sounds like your niece is having fun)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I am going to have to agree with the above. Children to age 6 need to play, not have academics pounded into them. It has been proven that children who are academically advanced at an early age are deficient in important areas such as social skills, gross motor control/balance, have higher likelihood of anxiety, depression, etc.
let them play :) sounds like the child will likely be ahead of or on track with the rest of her kinder class anyhow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM

i can remember feeling like i was going to flunk out of kindergarten because i didnt know how to read or write.  i cried for days.  of course, i am old enough that they didnt have any of this pre-k stuff.  only half day kinder.  in the morning we sang songs, did counting games and did art projects.  then we had a snack, then we laid down for a short nap and then we got shuffled onto the bus and back home again.  by the end of the year we managed to figure out our letter and whatnot and went into 1st grade.  it was really quite laid back lol.

i think every pre-k is different.  my oldest niece is in headstart and they really push reading/knowing abc's ect.  but then again its a program that is trying to target a demographic of kids who supposedly are at risk and are not getting it at home.  thats why their program is the way it is.  in our local public school the majority of the day centers around structured play.  and at that age that is pretty appropriate i think. 

i am getting ready to homeschool my 3.5 year old and have been gathering everything for his "pre k" and so far most of it is art projects, books and music that we will do scattered throughout the day.  my "goals" for him is very relaxed.  pretty much i just want him to want to participate and have fun at this point.

i was told the number one thing you can do for a very young child is read to them.  many other countries do not start "real" school until age 6 or 7 because they realize how important imaginative play is and they have much higher academic scores for their children so they must be doing something right.

ceckyl
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:03 PM
This, totally. Kids this age do so much learning through play.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What are you talking about - never get into kindergarten? Public kindergarten can't require they know anything - if they did so, preschool would be mandatory.

(and this is coming from an academically rigorous homeschool mom - it sounds like your niece is having fun)

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM

My 6 year old wrote her name everyday at headstart.  The teacher worked with her and 2 other girls who were ready to learn to read while the other kids played, because the girls were ready and wanted too.  It depends on the school.  Most of her day was play, but that was ok because she loved the social aspect.

andersongirl562
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I sent my DD to a private Prek last year and the little boy I babysit for was sent to a public prek. They are the same age. My DD went three full days a week he went four half days a week. My DD learned so much more than he did. The papers he brought home were basically coloring sheets and the  ones my DD had were learning the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, math, science, social studies,health and religion. My DD had a great time it wasnt all learning but she learned alot if that makes since. This year she is still at private school for K and he is at public school for K and She has actual homework while he is still learning to write his alphabet and numbers. She has a list of sight words that she has learned and he cant read one of the words. So in my personal experience you get what you pay for.

Jenn8604
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:25 PM
If they can't pass the kindergarten entrance assessment here they make them do preschool at 5 or stick them in special ed. They have to know their ABC's, and recognize them, count to 20, know their moms and dads name, their address, and phone number to enter kindergarten in a regular class.
No other kid in the class can recognize their letters. She knows all her letters and can write them all.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Yep. And had her mother agreed to her being homeschooled she'd know more. She already is doing sight words because my mom works with her while my brother and her mom work. Unless she comes over and does school work with my mom after school she won't get anywhere.

Quoting andersongirl562:

I sent my DD to a private Prek last year and the little boy I babysit for was sent to a public prek. They are the same age. My DD went three full days a week he went four half days a week. My DD learned so much more than he did. The papers he brought home were basically coloring sheets and the  ones my DD had were learning the alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, math, science, social studies,health and religion. My DD had a great time it wasnt all learning but she learned alot if that makes since. This year she is still at private school for K and he is at public school for K and She has actual homework while he is still learning to write his alphabet and numbers. She has a list of sight words that she has learned and he cant read one of the words. So in my personal experience you get what you pay for.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Where did you hear that? I've never heard of such a thing. Here, and everywhere else I've lived or had family members live, starts the K year at the very beginning - letters and numbers.

Further, if the child is attending a public pre-k associated with the public elementary school, I would assume they know if there is such ridiculous kindergarten entrance requirements.

To be honest, I would love to see your source on this information - I find it questionable. I've never heard of such a thing.

Quoting Jenn8604:

If they can't pass the kindergarten entrance assessment here they make them do preschool at 5 or stick them in special ed. They have to know their ABC's, and recognize them, count to 20, know their moms and dads name, their address, and phone number to enter kindergarten in a regular class.
No other kid in the class can recognize their letters. She knows all her letters and can write them all.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jenn8604
by Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 1:29 PM
They only play for 20 minutes otherwise it's learning finger songs and coloring.

Quoting Boobah:

I am going to have to agree with the above. Children to age 6 need to play, not have academics pounded into them. It has been proven that children who are academically advanced at an early age are deficient in important areas such as social skills, gross motor control/balance, have higher likelihood of anxiety, depression, etc.

let them play :) sounds like the child will likely be ahead of or on track with the rest of her kinder class anyhow.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN