Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum suggestions, all subjects (also thinking of Calvert)

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
  • 7 Replies
We are about to move from a good school system to a very poor one, thanks to the military, so I am considering homeschool.

I am thinking of using Calvert for my daughters, but am also considering other curriculums and mixing and matching.

My eldest is almost 8 and in 2nd grade. In public school she is doing well in math and science but struggling with phonics and spelling. She does okay with reading and comprehension at home, but struggles with it at school because she cannot take her time and gets nervous, I think if she stays in public school she is in danger of failing on these subjects, but I feel she will be able to "catch up" if she can learn at home.

My youngest school age child is 6 and in kindergarten (her birthday is in October, so she missed the cut off for k last year), but above grade level in all areas, especially in math, I worked with her on k subjects at home last year. I am thinking of moving her up to 1st grade level.

Does anyone have experience with Calvert? What is their math like? Would you do the Calvert math option or the math in focus option?

If you do not use Calvert, What would be your curriculum suggestions?
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I have never used Calvert, so I can't help you there.

1.  But for reading, phonics and other language arts subjects, I recommend Ring Around The Phonics .  Both children can play it at the same time even if they are on different levels.  It is learning disguised as a game and kids love it.

. 2.  Because your oldest is struggling with phonics and spelling, I  recommend reading "If Your Child Knows Their Phonic Sounds But Is Having Trouble. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Calvert is traditional and rigorous. I believe they now use Math in Focus (an americanized "Singapore" math style program) - it is a mastery based program (i.e. you master one whole skill, move on to another, etc -vs- a SPIRAL program, which introduces new skills in small, incremental bites, while CONTINUOUSLY reviewing previously learned material). I'm more a fan of spiral if children need pretty consistent review.

Calvert is solid, rigorous, and secular. You CAN opt out of math if you want, if you're using it/paying for it privately.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM

My 2nd grader works all over the board.  We are using teaching textbooks 3rd grade for math (I believe it is more on par for 2nd grade, they do have a placement test though you could try.), she is reading the Little House on the Prairie series for Lit, and she uses Spelling Work Out B, and Strategies for Writers for Writing.  For Science we are using The Magic School Bus and for History we are following The Magic Tree House books.

My first grader is using k12 this year and we are leaving it next year as I do not like it.

ncale
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting romacox:

I have never used Calvert, so I can't help you there.

1.  But for reading, phonics and other language arts subjects, I recommend Ring Around The Phonics .  Both children can play it at the same time even if they are on different levels.  It is learning disguised as a game and kids love it.

. 2.  Because your oldest is struggling with phonics and spelling, I  recommend reading "If Your Child Knows Their Phonic Sounds But Is Having Trouble. 

ncale
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Thank you!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Calvert is traditional and rigorous. I believe they now use Math in Focus (an americanized "Singapore" math style program) - it is a mastery based program (i.e. you master one whole skill, move on to another, etc -vs- a SPIRAL program, which introduces new skills in small, incremental bites, while CONTINUOUSLY reviewing previously learned material). I'm more a fan of spiral if children need pretty consistent review.

Calvert is solid, rigorous, and secular. You CAN opt out of math if you want, if you're using it/paying for it privately.

ncale
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you, I will have a look at these things :-)

Quoting debramommyof4:

My 2nd grader works all over the board.  We are using teaching textbooks 3rd grade for math (I believe it is more on par for 2nd grade, they do have a placement test though you could try.), she is reading the Little House on the Prairie series for Lit, and she uses Spelling Work Out B, and Strategies for Writers for Writing.  For Science we are using The Magic School Bus and for History we are following The Magic Tree House books.

My first grader is using k12 this year and we are leaving it next year as I do not like it.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this
We use Math In Focus for 3rd & 6th grade and love it. It's more intense than the Everyday Math (a spiral program) they used previously. I'm not fond of spiral myself, at least the Everyday Math, because it only lightly touched the skills each time.

My girls seem to do better being completely immersed in a skill: multiplying fractions, decimals, subtraction, etc., instead of just touching on it a little repetitiously.

It would depend on the children though of course. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)