Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else experience this with their homeschooler?

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes ladies, I am back but this time asking for advice or something. I was working with my youngest today who is 6. He cannot remember how to count to twenty, let alone remember what the numbers are. But today I set out a bunch of play coins and asked him to pull out a fraction of them (example 1/4 of a dollar, 1/2 and 3/4 of a dollar etc.) I took it all the way up to 20ths. He gpt each and every one right, but asking him to count and point out numbers and sequences, he just can't do it. 

Have any of you had this issue? He can also add and subtract so long as you tell him what the number is. He'll do it for you all day. He's even picking up on his brother's times tables. When brother gets lost or confused, he picks him back up. This is weird for me since I completely stink at math myself. Even DH was shocked, proud, but shocked at how easily he gets that. 

by on Nov. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Replies (11-15):
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:50 PM
My kids surprise me all the time. Maybe the numbers don't look like pictures to him. Maybe he sees them as a foreign language. But fractions look like pictures to me, you can see the math with fraction.

Quoting ladyofnight:

I just don't understand how he get something so complex, yet still not know his numbers 1-100 yet. He just astounds me sometimes. He's alos got a pretty extensive vocabulary for a 6 year old. He surprises even me at times and I was a kid who used the word Chlaustrophobic at his age. Not sure if it has anything to do with it, but his dad and grandpa are construction workers lol. 

Quoting SMTCMMoore:

Interesting! We have the same struggle at 5. But I haven't introduced fractions yet.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:00 PM

My eldest is like that. He would be a terrible test taker since the wording of a question has a Huge Impact on how he answers. We just make sure to point out all the different ways things can be done or worded, especially in math.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Some kids have problems with rote memorization.  Try making it into a number of different games or download some kindle games on math.  Is there any possibility he's dislexic?

ladyofnight
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Yes, it is very possible he is dyslexic. My dad is, and so is my aunt. I think daddy has some dyscalcula as well. My son is also very ADHD but I don't want to medicate him but I'm scared I might have to. I don't like to think of it because then the active, imaginative little boy won't be himself. :( 

Quoting JATomlinson:

Some kids have problems with rote memorization.  Try making it into a number of different games or download some kindle games on math.  Is there any possibility he's dislexic?

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Ok, I'm not saying I'm qualified to give you advice on the ADHD or anything, but I have a degree in Applied Psychology Pre-Education and I remember learning about ADHD in school and the professor showed us all these medical studies that said there is no difference in medicating a child with ADHD and giving them caffeine.  Not kidding. 

The caffeine in something like a diet soda or a cup of cofee will keep them focused just as well as the ADHD meds will, only the meds have side effects.  My cousin has ADHD and was always on meds and he would have these violent mood swings from the meds.  My mom and two sisters have ADHD and use the caffeine method and are able to focus better and have zero side effects.  It would be worth it to research it online some. 

Be forewarned... any medical website you come across (or doctor) is going to push the meds because that's what they're taught to do, and will say caffeine won't help (no money in sending a kid away to drink soda), but in the studies I saw, caffeine was just as effective in helping an ADHD child and didn't have the side effects.

Quoting ladyofnight:

Yes, it is very possible he is dyslexic. My dad is, and so is my aunt. I think daddy has some dyscalcula as well. My son is also very ADHD but I don't want to medicate him but I'm scared I might have to. I don't like to think of it because then the active, imaginative little boy won't be himself. :( 

Quoting JATomlinson:

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)