Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

cub scouting (ot and a vent)

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 17 Replies
Ok so I know this is kind of immature of me but I just can't help to feel annoyed. My son is a wolf scout and he has been in since he was a tiger. He and I work very hard to acheive his belt loops and pins or any other type of badge that he wants to earn. Some of these things have taken weeks for us to complete because I want him to do it properly and get the most out of it. This year a friend of mine had her son join the scouts. He is also a wolf and this is his first year. She constantly complains about how things are done in scouts. For instance, my son was chosen to be the color guard. Basically he gets to carry the Cub Scout Flag at this weeks pack meeting. My friend had a huge fit about it because it's not fair that her son wasn't chosen. Ok whatever I ignored her until she started being a jerk to my son about it. My son is proud of his acheivements because he works hard to do his best. He really loves the BSA program and excels in it. It annoys me to no end when she acts immature and childish because my son earns stuff. Another thing that annoys me is that I think she is cheating so her son earns belt loops and pins. She, for the whole month, kept talking about needing to something with her son so he'd earn something at the pack meet coming up. Well a day or so before the deadline to get the awards in; she was still talking about how she hadn't done anything with him yet. However 5 hours before the deadline her child magically ends up "earning" 4 belt loops, a pin, and the cyber badge. I know he earned the cyber badge because he and my son did it at my house. However the 4 belt loops and the pin' I'm not so sure of. Especially when a lot of these belt loops required a week or so of doing something everyday; like taking care of the pets for a week and then making a list of the tasks that you did to take care of them. I dunno... I know it shouldn't bother me because if they are cheating than atleast we aRe earning honestly so my son is getting more out of it than her son but I guess it annoys me because of all the time that I put into it to help my son succeed; not to mention the time that my son puts into it because he really wants to be all he can be. Sorry for typos and grammar errors. It's early here and I'm irritated.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:15 AM
That would annoy me, too! It sounds like she will burn out soon enough, though. Does your Pack ask for proof of achievement?
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM
There are only a few things that they make them show proof of but most things say, "tell your pack or family about what you learned." Or show your pack or family the poster you made, etc... So there isn't any burdon of proof on her. The NOVA awards and a few other badges and acheivements do have to be proved tho. Which for that I am thankful sicne my son is working on the NOVA awards; she has asked me a few times who the "counselor" is that he has to show his stuff to and I tell her the den leader. It's like she wants to cheat him through that also. I will be very upset if she somehow gets away with it. We have been working on one of them for a whole month and he hasn't completed all the requirements to earn it yet.

Quoting mem82:

That would annoy me, too! It sounds like she will burn out soon enough, though. Does your Pack ask for proof of achievement?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:30 AM
You know what really irritates me about that? There is no point to it. Her child is not getting the rush of knowing he worked hard for it. She is just racking up things that won't have any real meaning. It basically renders the point of Scouts moot.

Quoting chotovec82:

There are only a few things that they make them show proof of but most things say, "tell your pack or family about what you learned." Or show your pack or family the poster you made, etc... So there isn't any burdon of proof on her. The NOVA awards and a few other badges and acheivements do have to be proved tho. Which for that I am thankful sicne my son is working on the NOVA awards; she has asked me a few times who the "counselor" is that he has to show his stuff to and I tell her the den leader. It's like she wants to cheat him through that also. I will be very upset if she somehow gets away with it. We have been working on one of them for a whole month and he hasn't completed all the requirements to earn it yet.

Quoting mem82:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM
I don't like people like that. I'm sorry you are dealing with her negativity. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:34 AM

First, I'm impressed that your son is working towards his NOVA awards.  YEAH HIM!!!!!  Second, I'm going through this, not with as much personal knowledge, with one of my Tigers (I'm den leader).  I would focus more on keeping her away from my kid because she clearly doesn't get it and demeaning or belittling him because her son doesn't get what your son gets, is bad.  Just remind yourself that you're doing your best, and that's all you can worry about.  Chant it mercilessly with your fingers in your ears when she comes around.  :)

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:36 AM
I agree and you'd think she'd see this also since she was a girl scout and her brothers were boy scouts. Maybe her parents cheated for them? She's a very competitive person and she always has to have the 1 up over a person. That's what I think this is about. My son had 12 belt loops and a few badges at the beginning of this year and her son has nothing because he just joined. She always makes comments about how my son has so many awards. I remind her that her son has just started and it took Aiden a whole year just to get the 12 he has but someone this is like a whose child is better type thing for her. It's very frustrating. She's been like this for the 7 years that I have known her. With our last pregnancy she was having a girl (her only one out of 3 kids) and I was having my third boy. She would boast and brag and shove it in my face that I was having another boy and she was having a girl so much that i stoped talking to her for a while. She still tries to do that but I am content with my boys. She thinks girls are better than boys and has said many times infront of her kids that boys are bad nd girls are good. I've told her it just depends on parenting. Anyways... LOl I could complain all day about this chick.

Quoting mem82:

You know what really irritates me about that? There is no point to it. Her child is not getting the rush of knowing he worked hard for it. She is just racking up things that won't have any real meaning. It basically renders the point of Scouts moot.

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting mem82:

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
1 mom liked this
We're using them as his science curriculum because what I bought this year is almost verbatim to what he learned the year before :( He almost has the first one done, "Science Everywhere." He will probably finish it in the next to weeks. My husband is taking him to work with him for the last acheivement of it. Which is go to a place where science is being done... Also my husband has an experiment that he plans to do with Aiden the following weekend about volcanoes and techtonic plates. My husband is really into the NOVA awards tho so he is helping me out so much with these projects. Obviously Aiden has to do the majority of the work by figuring out things and drawing conclusions but he is so smart and gets it almost immediately.

Quoting hwblyf:

First, I'm impressed that your son is working towards his NOVA awards.  YEAH HIM!!!!!  Second, I'm going through this, not with as much personal knowledge, with one of my Tigers (I'm den leader).  I would focus more on keeping her away from my kid because she clearly doesn't get it and demeaning or belittling him because her son doesn't get what your son gets, is bad.  Just remind yourself that you're doing your best, and that's all you can worry about.  Chant it mercilessly with your fingers in your ears when she comes around.  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Awwe.... I'm sorry you are dealing with such people.  At least your son is getting the great sense of accomplishment that comes with actually perforing the tasks.  He is getting more from the commitment than her son is.  I hope that helps you.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

That would be annoying.  In Girl Scouts the troop did the things together, or as you got older you had to bring stuff in, does boyscouts work differently?

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Some of the achievements are done together as a den but some of them are individual. You don't have to show proof on somethings because it's a merit based program. If the Akela says that the kid did it than they did it. The Akela is the parent. Only a few things need proof to be shown for the child to get the award. It's very frustrating.

Quoting debramommyof4:

That would be annoying.  In Girl Scouts the troop did the things together, or as you got older you had to bring stuff in, does boyscouts work differently?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN