Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm just really unsure of what to do.... UPDATE IN REPLIES

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
  • 23 Replies
I have a three year old that is speech apraxic. He says 5 words, uh huh (yes), ut huh (no), mama, dada, ow. I met with the school board today my insurance will not do anything until the school haas had their hand in the cookie jar. So they are wanting to set up an IEP for him and have him go to a communications preschool class. I'm not sure of any of the other details of this. The woman is really trying to push me into this. I'm nervous about making this decision. You hear all the time about kids being abused by teachers or teacher aids and I was abused at school by multiple teachers. My son is like a sitting duck. He can not communicate to me if he is being harmed at school. Also I am not sure how long the days are going to be for him. I do not think a 3 yr old needs to be in school for a whole day. I feel so much nervousness from this. I know he needs help but I was thinking a speech therapist twice a week or something not going to a special ed preschool.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

I would check to see if your health insurance will cover speech therapy before turning to the public school! Personally though I would research what is done in speech therapy & just do it myself!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I would call and ask the details from the school.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I would call the school for information, look online about reviews for the school and look up what is done by speech therapists for your son's speech. If it is something you feel you can do it on your own I would. I do not like leaving none communicating children with people I due not know.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Why does he need to go to school? Does he have any problems beside speech? My son was almost 4 before he started talking. I bought some books on speech therapy and helped him at home. He is 11 now and won't stop talking.
romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Following are some articles from the Home School Legal Defense Association that may help you:

Special Needs:  What Is Available (Speech Disorders is toward the bottom of the page)

Special Education Resources In All 50 States

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:02 PM
As far as I know his only issue is communicating. Past speech therapist have said that he is very bright and has a big vocab up in his brain but he cannot get it out. He is up to par or better for gross motor, fine motor, self recognition and social awareness. He is a great little problem solver as well.

May I ask which books you bought that helped you?

Quoting jen2150:

Why does he need to go to school? Does he have any problems beside speech? My son was almost 4 before he started talking. I bought some books on speech therapy and helped him at home. He is 11 now and won't stop talking.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Dont let anybody pressure you into something youre not comfortable with. Find out what he needs therapy-wise and do it yourself.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Here is the book that helped me but it was a long time ago. http://www.amazon.com/Teach-How-Say-Right-Articulation/dp/1572244038/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384902346&sr=1-8&keywords=speech+therapy+kids

The biggest thing is to be patient. One thing I regret is not teaching him to sign. I read it really helps a lot of kids. Also never correct their speech. Just repeat it back correctly. Some kids just take longer.

Quoting chotovec82:

As far as I know his only issue is communicating. Past speech therapist have said that he is very bright and has a big vocab up in his brain but he cannot get it out. He is up to par or better for gross motor, fine motor, self recognition and social awareness. He is a great little problem solver as well.

Quoting jen2150:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Is there a college nearby with a SLP program? I consulted with the communications school at FSU to find the grad student assistant and the advising therapist for LO. Turned out so cheap and it has been very effective. He speaks well now and has an immense vocabulary for a four year old, and we work on his remaining lisp daily. Determining his learning style was helpful, too, along with his vitamin D supplementation and diet change (he's ASD though, so he has some mitigating factors requiring "extra" help.)
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Netflix has Signing Time now if you have it. We have started watching it with my 3,4 and 6 year olds so they can learn it as their 2nd language.

Quoting jen2150:

Here is the book that helped me but it was a long time ago. http://www.amazon.com/Teach-How-Say-Right-Articulation/dp/1572244038/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384902346&sr=1-8&keywords=speech+therapy+kids

The biggest thing is to be patient. One thing I regret is not teaching him to sign. I read it really helps a lot of kids. Also never correct their speech. Just repeat it back correctly. Some kids just take longer.

Quoting chotovec82:

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)