Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm just really unsure of what to do.... UPDATE IN REPLIES

Posted by   + Show Post
I have a three year old that is speech apraxic. He says 5 words, uh huh (yes), ut huh (no), mama, dada, ow. I met with the school board today my insurance will not do anything until the school haas had their hand in the cookie jar. So they are wanting to set up an IEP for him and have him go to a communications preschool class. I'm not sure of any of the other details of this. The woman is really trying to push me into this. I'm nervous about making this decision. You hear all the time about kids being abused by teachers or teacher aids and I was abused at school by multiple teachers. My son is like a sitting duck. He can not communicate to me if he is being harmed at school. Also I am not sure how long the days are going to be for him. I do not think a 3 yr old needs to be in school for a whole day. I feel so much nervousness from this. I know he needs help but I was thinking a speech therapist twice a week or something not going to a special ed preschool.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I would find out if this is mandatory or not and if it isn't, I would find out what all you could do on your own. You should never let anyone push you into s place where you feel trapped. That place is not helpful not benefit anyone. You and your son deserve better.
Hugs hugs hugs!
Bethbeth
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM

my 3 year old is doing speech therapy through the school district, but it is only 1/2 hour a week, and I am with her the whole time. She didn't quite qualify for the preschool program, but we were not going to let her do that anyway. 

good luck. i hope you can find something that works for you.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM
3 moms liked this

First HUGS!! My eldest is on the Autism Spectrum. When we were first embarking on the diagnosis process we too were told we had to go through the school system. this was a LIE. It's just that the first step for most kids is talking with the school psychologist who says there is an issue. We skipped that step and finally found a neuro pediatric dr who would do the evaluation. The IEP is strictly for educational assistance. My advice is to try to find a yahoo group or support group for special needs kids in your district. They will give you a clear picture of how things work in your area. Otherwise talk with your pediatrician they might have a referral, and research the laws for special needs kids in your state. 

I would NEVER let my child go through the public school for his spec needs, but that's because I've heard lots of bad stories. We never got an IEP, we just went through the dr's. But I know there are many, Many fabulous teachers and therapists at public schools. Some districts will even allow therapies in the home or allow homeschoolers to be homeschoolers and just come to the school for therapy and not education. So you need to be very aware of your rights in your area. You are your child's best advocate, which is a hard job. Hugs again!!

tinkerspell
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:52 PM

my son does speech therapy out of school he is five and i would like to say he has about 100 words he speaks like a two year old. he did the school thing it was a slow process also you can tell his behaivior will change derastically after the abuse they may not use words to tell us something sometimes its can be body langauge 

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM
My daughter all she said was her twin brother name so we learned sign language. The we started doing letter number color shape of the week. www.havwfunteachimg.com we was at the library once a week. We bright 7 books read the books once a week. Now three years later we can not get her to stop.
SarahNElijah
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Just curious.. when you say never correct, do you really mean never? My son was a late talker, but is now seven years old and still struggles with his r's and th's.. I have just recently started correcting him some.. I don't want to make him feel bad or discourage him, but I also think his is somewhat habit, because he can say the th's especially if he thinks about it.. How would you help a seven year old with this? Or would you still just give him more time to work it out on his own? Part of me feels like maybe if he were in PS it would already be better, only because other people sometimes have trouble understanding certain words he says, so it would help him think about how he is saying it differently, but anyway.. I would appreciate any thoughts on this!! :-)

Quoting jen2150:

Here is the book that helped me but it was a long time ago. http://www.amazon.com/Teach-How-Say-Right-Articulation/dp/1572244038/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384902346&sr=1-8&keywords=speech+therapy+kids

The biggest thing is to be patient. One thing I regret is not teaching him to sign. I read it really helps a lot of kids. Also never correct their speech. Just repeat it back correctly. Some kids just take longer.

Quoting chotovec82:

As far as I know his only issue is communicating. Past speech therapist have said that he is very bright and has a big vocab up in his brain but he cannot get it out. He is up to par or better for gross motor, fine motor, self recognition and social awareness. He is a great little problem solver as well.

May I ask which books you bought that helped you?

Quoting jen2150:

Why does he need to go to school? Does he have any problems beside speech? My son was almost 4 before he started talking. I bought some books on speech therapy and helped him at home. He is 11 now and won't stop talking.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
So I think I'm know what I am gonna do. I'm gonna do a few programs at home with him. One is called the brain balance program as I have discovered that he has a severe left brain imbalance. The other is called movements that heal and the third book is called Brain Gym. I'm also going to do formal speech therapy as well. However, he will not be going to school. I just cannot trust public educators with him at this point. It also seems very counter productive since I plan to homeschool him. Thanks for all of your suggestions and I will do some of the things people have said helped their children to talk. I appreciate you guys and your help very much. This group has been God-send. Thanks
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I was going to suggest sign language as well. My kids are learning ASL. We use Signing time, Joy of Signing and an online sire called ASLpro.com

You do need to supervise ASLpro as they do have slang and bad words. Yeah, we found that out together..lol
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Good luck. I am glad that you found stuff to help him!

Quoting chotovec82:

So I think I'm know what I am gonna do. I'm gonna do a few programs at home with him. One is called the brain balance program as I have discovered that he has a severe left brain imbalance. The other is called movements that heal and the third book is called Brain Gym. I'm also going to do formal speech therapy as well. However, he will not be going to school. I just cannot trust public educators with him at this point. It also seems very counter productive since I plan to homeschool him. Thanks for all of your suggestions and I will do some of the things people have said helped their children to talk. I appreciate you guys and your help very much. This group has been God-send. Thanks
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a speech impediment myself and my 8yo boy has a bit of one, too. His speech actually improved when I would take a moment and help him figure out how to work his tongue just like my speech coaches. I don't do it in public or when he is excited and talking fast. If he is just chitchatting with me and slurs a th we go back over the word. Instead of just saying the word, I get close and show him how my tongue and lips move. Mirrors can help, too. I still struggle if I'm tired and still employ some of the things I now teach my son.

Quoting SarahNElijah:

Just curious.. when you say never correct, do you really mean never? My son was a late talker, but is now seven years old and still struggles with his r's and th's.. I have just recently started correcting him some.. I don't want to make him feel bad or discourage him, but I also think his is somewhat habit, because he can say the th's especially if he thinks about it.. How would you help a seven year old with this? Or would you still just give him more time to work it out on his own? Part of me feels like maybe if he were in PS it would already be better, only because other people sometimes have trouble understanding certain words he says, so it would help him think about how he is saying it differently, but anyway.. I would appreciate any thoughts on this!! :-)

Quoting jen2150:

Here is the book that helped me but it was a long time ago. http://www.amazon.com/Teach-How-Say-Right-Articulation/dp/1572244038/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384902346&sr=1-8&keywords=speech+therapy+kids

The biggest thing is to be patient. One thing I regret is not teaching him to sign. I read it really helps a lot of kids. Also never correct their speech. Just repeat it back correctly. Some kids just take longer.

Quoting chotovec82:

As far as I know his only issue is communicating. Past speech therapist have said that he is very bright and has a big vocab up in his brain but he cannot get it out. He is up to par or better for gross motor, fine motor, self recognition and social awareness. He is a great little problem solver as well.

May I ask which books you bought that helped you?

Quoting jen2150:

Why does he need to go to school? Does he have any problems beside speech? My son was almost 4 before he started talking. I bought some books on speech therapy and helped him at home. He is 11 now and won't stop talking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN