Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you feel about sleepovers that aren't at your house?

Posted by   + Show Post
Blue's post about saying no made me think of this.

How do you feel about & handle sleepover requests from other people? I'm comfortable with my girls going to my parents' house or my mother in laws. I haven't let them stay elsewhere though.

Last year my oldest daughter (then 11) was asked to stay at a friend's house. I love the mom but went to high school with her husband. I didn't care for him then or now. I let her go until midnight but then picked her up & said it was so she could see dh since he'd been out of town all week for work.

Last summer a girl from class who always talked about the many boyfriends her mom had & how they made crude remarks to her asked. I'll bet you'll be surprised to hear I said 'No Thanks!'

We're slowly starting to make hs friends locally, so I'd appreciate hearing what you ladies think about sleepovers.
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Replies (61-70):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I think this is a great idea that we may try.

Quoting hipmomto3:

HOWEVER, when my oldest (10) has been invited to sleep-overs, we have let her go and stay until the girls are going to sleep (usually 9:30 or 10:00) then we pick her up. And she has hosted "play late" parties - girls come over for dinner, they play games, do their nails, watch a movie, then get picked up by parents to go home and go to their own beds. It's so much nicer than having to deal with girls who won't go to sleep or cranky kids in the morning!

coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel really ashamed to say this, but if she goes to someone's house to play we medicate the heck out of her and even then we can only stay for about 3 hours....we have to leave before the meds wear off.  She has to have them given again at 3 1/2 hours so that they overlap and stay in her system.  This was pediatrician recomended because of how bad she gets.

She is however going to spend Saturday with a friend...who has a dog.  Her mom is VERY familiar with my DD and her "issues" and feels comfortable taking her and ALL of her medications.  This is also my child with food allergies that this mom is supremely aware of and takes every precaution she can think of.  My DD LOVES to eat the foods that she shouldn't and we pay the price when she does....they cause severe reflux for her.  Others are easier to avoid like peanuts and eggs, but corn is nearly impossible and we have gotten it down to nearly a science when it comes to feeding her.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a shame.  Does everyone come to your house to visit with her?  ** I don't mean that in a nosey way at all, but I'm guessing she probably can't go too long if at all to their houses just to play either.

Quoting coala:

I let them go if I am comfortable with the family.  My oldest can stay just about anywhere and does great.  My youngest can't spend the night anywhere right now because everyone we know has a dog and she is severly allergic.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I have recently had to say thanks but no thanks to a few families. It got awkward as they offered for ME to be able to sleep over as well....er...huh? Lol I just usually fall back on our nightly routine and it's importance for my special needs child, so the neuro-typical child is just SOL...lol...

honestly we've never had anyone react negatively when I explained we just were not comfortable w/ sleepovers yet. Especially since my kids have never even slept over at a grandparents house before (as they all have dogs and my eldest is deathly allergic). 

Mweddle
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I have let my 7 year old son sleep over next door with his friend who is also 7.  My 6 year old is not ready to stay at a friends house.  She has had friends over but never gone to a friends house to spend the night.  HOnestly, the only friend she has that would ask her to, I wouldn't feel comfortable with.  :/  

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I allow my kids. 

I have fond memories of staying up late watching forbidden movies and the laughing and silliness and having deep conversations... 

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I absolutely LOVE this idea!  That sounds like a great compromise.  I think that would be the perfect plan for my older daughter's 13th birthday next summer. :)   

Quoting hipmomto3:

HOWEVER, when my oldest (10) has been invited to sleep-overs, we have let her go and stay until the girls are going to sleep (usually 9:30 or 10:00) then we pick her up. And she has hosted "play late" parties - girls come over for dinner, they play games, do their nails, watch a movie, then get picked up by parents to go home and go to their own beds. It's so much nicer than having to deal with girls who won't go to sleep or cranky kids in the morning!

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM

No shame!  I'm sure she enjoys getting out of the house and seeing someone else's toys, games, etc.  

I hope she has a wonderful time on Saturday.  Corn is a hard allergy!  Corn syrup is just about on every single ingredient list at the grocery.  That's good that the mom is aware of everything and cautious too.  I'm sure your daughter enjoys her time over there.    

Quoting coala:

I feel really ashamed to say this, but if she goes to someone's house to play we medicate the heck out of her and even then we can only stay for about 3 hours....we have to leave before the meds wear off.  She has to have them given again at 3 1/2 hours so that they overlap and stay in her system.  This was pediatrician recomended because of how bad she gets.

She is however going to spend Saturday with a friend...who has a dog.  Her mom is VERY familiar with my DD and her "issues" and feels comfortable taking her and ALL of her medications.  This is also my child with food allergies that this mom is supremely aware of and takes every precaution she can think of.  My DD LOVES to eat the foods that she shouldn't and we pay the price when she does....they cause severe reflux for her.  Others are easier to avoid like peanuts and eggs, but corn is nearly impossible and we have gotten it down to nearly a science when it comes to feeding her.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a shame.  Does everyone come to your house to visit with her?  ** I don't mean that in a nosey way at all, but I'm guessing she probably can't go too long if at all to their houses just to play either.

Quoting coala:

I let them go if I am comfortable with the family.  My oldest can stay just about anywhere and does great.  My youngest can't spend the night anywhere right now because everyone we know has a dog and she is severly allergic.

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Wow, I've never heard of the parent being asked to sleepover unless it's family/super duper close friend!  I'm sure you must make a good impression and be fun to hang out with.  :)

It's good no one has given you any negativity for saying no thanks.  The nighttime routine is so important.  So sorry to hear about the dog allergy too.       

Quoting KickButtMama:

I have recently had to say thanks but no thanks to a few families. It got awkward as they offered for ME to be able to sleep over as well....er...huh? Lol I just usually fall back on our nightly routine and it's importance for my special needs child, so the neuro-typical child is just SOL...lol...

honestly we've never had anyone react negatively when I explained we just were not comfortable w/ sleepovers yet. Especially since my kids have never even slept over at a grandparents house before (as they all have dogs and my eldest is deathly allergic). 

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM

It's better to be safe and listen to your gut.  If the friends come to your house it's easy to make sure the activities are fun and appropriate too.

Quoting Mweddle:

I have let my 7 year old son sleep over next door with his friend who is also 7.  My 6 year old is not ready to stay at a friends house.  She has had friends over but never gone to a friends house to spend the night.  HOnestly, the only friend she has that would ask her to, I wouldn't feel comfortable with.  :/  

maggiemom2000
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

If I am comfortable with the family I have no problem with my child having a sleep over.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)