Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My daughter is 8 and in co op today there was another child telling them that Santa doesn't exist. I don't care that her parents chose not to do the Santa thing, but could they have asked her not to ruin for the others?? Rant over! :)
by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
Muscadine1
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Just common courtesy mam. I mean- what if a child said his mom was skinny and your child's opinion was his moms was fat? Should your child state that opinion?

Quoting chotovec82:

My husband and I chose not to perpetuate the whole Santa thing. Since our kids know the truth; I did tell them that they shouldn't go around telling other kids that Santa doesn't exist. However, if it comes up in the conversation; I feel that my child has just as much right to state their opinions on the matter as the child who believes that he is real. After that it's up to the individual child to believe for himself if my son is right or if he is wrong. I am not going to teach my child to lie to other kids; even if it is a white lie. I'm also not going to make my child be silent in a conversation because he has a different viewpoint. However all in all I've only had one incident of my child telling someone that it wasn't real. It was at my house and the mom brought it up knowing that we don't teach our kid that. My son basically said that the tooth fairy isn't real. He didn't really say it to the kid; he said it to the mother. She said, "you need to talk to your son." I said about what? You know that they don't believe in it so if you want your kids to maintain their belief in the fairy tale than don't bring it up over here. It's not my job to make sure my kids maintain other peoples fairy tales.

Muscadine1
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
That's is a valid point OP. Maybe parent didn't know her child was spoiling it!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Okay, don't beat me up or anything....but.....It is usually around 8 that a child begins to question the existence of Santa.  And they usually want others to help them keep believing but they go about it wrong.  They often say things like "Mommy told me he doesn't exist." or "There's no way Santa exists."  Then they really want other kids to give them reasons he does or why they know he exists.  They are waiting for that argument.  The other parent may have no way of knowing that this spoiler was coming.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 3:33 PM

I hate when kids do that! What did you tell your dd?

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Insulting is different,. Also if you are in my house and you bring up something when you know my family doesn't believe it then is on you. My kids don't talk about it otherwise. Like I said it's not my job to maintain other peoples myths.

Quoting Muscadine1:

Just common courtesy mam. I mean- what if a child said his mom was skinny and your child's opinion was his moms was fat? Should your child state that opinion?

Quoting chotovec82:

My husband and I chose not to perpetuate the whole Santa thing. Since our kids know the truth; I did tell them that they shouldn't go around telling other kids that Santa doesn't exist. However, if it comes up in the conversation; I feel that my child has just as much right to state their opinions on the matter as the child who believes that he is real. After that it's up to the individual child to believe for himself if my son is right or if he is wrong. I am not going to teach my child to lie to other kids; even if it is a white lie. I'm also not going to make my child be silent in a conversation because he has a different viewpoint. However all in all I've only had one incident of my child telling someone that it wasn't real. It was at my house and the mom brought it up knowing that we don't teach our kid that. My son basically said that the tooth fairy isn't real. He didn't really say it to the kid; he said it to the mother. She said, "you need to talk to your son." I said about what? You know that they don't believe in it so if you want your kids to maintain their belief in the fairy tale than don't bring it up over here. It's not my job to make sure my kids maintain other peoples fairy tales.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Eep, yeah my youngest had a similar situation. We just explained that those who don't believe in Santa just don't get those gifts from him, only from family & friends. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM

What I find funny is it's the parents who say, "I don't want my kids to lie for your kids comfort, it's all a stupid myth" are the ones that get really, REALLY bent outta shape when my kids say God is just a myth. My kids know it's rude to try to destroy a persons belief in Anything - when people talk about their faith, with conviction, my kids know it is not their place to try to dissuade them, or convert them. So if my kids know not to dash their beliefs, then they should do the same. IMO 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Awww ~ That stinks. I remember how that was ruined for me when I was little. I was devastated.
I hope your daughter wasn't too upset.
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
Frankly I don't care about people disagreeing about the whole God thing. If I raised my kids "right" than I have no reason to worry about other peeps beliefs persuading my child. Your child and you have a right to your opinions over religion, Santa, etc... as we do. Also my children do not go out of their way to tell someone that it isn't real. It's not like they track down all the 5 yr. Olds and say, "you dumb baby; Santa isn't real! " if they did something like that than they'd be in big Trouble. However, if it's brought in conversation and a kid asks him what Santa got him; I don't expect him to lie or be silent. They can freely day that their parent for them... or say that they don't believe in Santa.
Zui77
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:11 PM
I'm agitated for you. That is annoying!
Zui77
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I'm reading the original post as saying the other kid was telling the class this. I'm not thinking she was approached and asked. And it certainly wasn't in the child's home. Like another poster said it's just polite and good manners. The golden rule is pretty simple!

Quoting chotovec82:

Frankly I don't care about people disagreeing about the whole God thing. If I raised my kids "right" than I have no reason to worry about other peeps beliefs persuading my child. Your child and you have a right to your opinions over religion, Santa, etc... as we do. Also my children do not go out of their way to tell someone that it isn't real. It's not like they track down all the 5 yr. Olds and say, "you dumb baby; Santa isn't real! " if they did something like that than they'd be in big Trouble. However, if it's brought in conversation and a kid asks him what Santa got him; I don't expect him to lie or be silent. They can freely day that their parent for them... or say that they don't believe in Santa.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN