Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Uh-Oh, DH says hsing isn't working :(

Posted by   + Show Post

I have to change some things, which I have been in the process of doing anyway.  But I came home a little late today from work and DH was really on edge.  He finally let it out that he was really annoyed with the kids playing video games too much, and he feels they aren't learning enough (they only sit and do school work for about 2-3 hours a day).

Here's the thing, I totally agree with him...but twice a week I leave at 11am and he sleeps until 3pm (he works nights, so he sleeps about 8:30am-3pm).  The other days I leave around 2:15 and he sleeps until 3.  The kids definitely take advantage of this and get a lot of screen time.  Then DH kind of takes it easy in the afternoons and the kids continue to play video games.  They are 10 and 11 so don't quite get the moderation thing, once they are in it they just lose track of time and could play all day.  (DH could also remind them to turn it off once he is up...so this is not just on me or the kids).

So we set a new rule, one hour a day of video games.  They can have other TV time if it's educational.  We haven't had strict screen time rules.  They know how to use a timer on their ipods, so they will need to set the timer and follow it.  They are really good kids and will follow this rule even without a parent watching (this is why I have felt we didn't need to be too strict here, since they really do follow the rules and the video games or a movie helps keep them entertained so DH can sleep).

We also have been stuck in history and DH is annoyed by that, he thinks that's one of the more important subjects...I am LOST in history.  So I sat down with him and the SOTW table of contents and we picked out what he feels is important in ancient history.  So I will try to get through these few things over the next few weeks, and then have him go through medieval history with me.  He thinks we have only been learning about Egypt since September and was annoyed the kids didn't know who Cleopatra was...so we are hitting Cleopatra tomorrow and then moving on to Ancient Greece.  Hopefully they remember something we learn so it doesn't seem like I am teaching them nothing :(  I am also thinking documentaries or something for when I am not home. 

Sorry this is so long, I don't want to send them back to PS.  I need them to take an interest in learning (this was another point from DH as well and I just had this conversation with them yesterday) and I need to find more to keep them learning even without a parent right there.  If anyone has any encouraging words or advice, please share :)

by on Nov. 19, 2013 at 8:51 PM
Replies (41-50):
ladyofnight
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:24 PM
1 mom liked this

With us, we discuss the similarities between the Greek, Roman, Norse and German mythologies. I would add Norse (Norwiegen) to that as well as German. They all have significant impacts on history as well as the Japanese and Chinese. We haven't started much with ancient egypt yet, but Barnes and Noble have a LOT on Ancient Greece, Rome, Egypt and Ireland. I think the ancient civilizations are fasinating! It shows what sort of technologies they had, what their belief systems and social behaviors were like and what they have become today. It's amazing to read the stories and just find out where so many different heritages derived from. Have you done Aztec and Mayan civilizations yet? Those are pretty interesting as well. Their architecture and artifacts are just awesome to look at. They tell so many elaborate stories. Not sure if you celebrate Christmas or not, but if you do, You should look up how so many of the traditions of today came to be. Did you know the Christmas tree is only about 100 years old? It started out with the Norse bringing an ever green tree into the home to represent life and renewal. Then the Germans took it over and placed apples on it for it to represent life and knowlege. It's so neat to know that what traditions we have now that are common for us began as just a simple reminder of how precious our lives and knowledge is. I'm a geek for all this stuff lol. I have several history, mythology books and even atlases. The kids love hearing something from one of them as they go to sleep at night. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Thank you for this.

I only work pt, about 18 hrs a week, but add in travel and I'm gone a bit more depending which client I'm going to (one is 20 min away the other is 45 min). DH does not help with schooling unless its life skills based, he does have them help with dinner or things like chopping/stacking wood and he has taught them how to keep the fire going. We did agree to this in the beginning, but he also agreed to help me decide *what* to teach because we should cover things we both think are important. I just have to get him into the conversation to go over it with me, then he gets frustrated when I don't know things (history is my weakest subject, I seriously don't know what happened to any history education I got in school) so he thinks I should learn so I can teach the kids, which I agree with-we can learn together and I love that, but my problem is I just don't even know what is pertinent to teach them. So I think he finally got that last night and I wrote down what he said we should cover, now I will find the books and resources to cover those things. This will work fine as long as he continues to tell me what is pertinent and what he's comfortable with them skipping.

So for the rest of ancients we are finishing Egypt with Cleopatra, then moving onto Ancient Greece (architecture, politics, mythology,moly pics, empire), covering Troy, and then Ancient Rome (architecture, empire, religion, aqueducts, the fall of Rome). Since you love this stuff, is there anything else you would add?

Quoting ladyofnight:

I wish I could help and give advice. I'm a SAHM, and my mom covers lessons for me when I have errands to do. The only thing I have discovered about Homeschooling is that you can do that when you're home of an evening, and when you're off work for your scheduled days off. As far as history goes, I agree with your DH that it is an important subject, but to have a cow because you hadn't covered Cleopatra yet is a bit much. When he's not working or sleeping or on his days off, does he help out and pitch in with the learning? I don't actually study ancient civilizations with my boys (ages 6 and 8) in school. That's something we do for fun outside of school times. We go a maximum of 4 hours a day, minimum of 2, and they do watch some documentaries or cartoons that were based off of events. then we discuss the differences between the animated versions and the text versions. I'm an ancient history and mythology geek, so that is our fun time. We draw pictures and look up artifacts on the internet together. Even at 10 and 11 your kids still need a little engagement with their learning. Try doing something like that, instead of expecting them to sit and do writing and reading all of the time. A lot of what my kids already know they learned mostly by being verbal not a lot of writing. They might actually enjoy it more as far as the history goes. good luck and hope you figure it all out. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM

How about something like time4learning? I don't think it's sufficient as a stand alone, but while I'm busy the kids love to do it...it seems like video games, but it's all education. Many people do use it as a stand alone curriculum, I just think it's not quite enough (personal preferance). You should also check out things like Alice.org where the kids can learn to program their own video games...so it's not just play, it's a computer programming. 

These types of hey hings aren't as 'gaming' as playing games. But it's digital interaction the kids might enjoy to keep them busy while DH sleeps. 

On SOTW we did a LOT of Netflix videos to go with it since my kids were a little older as well when we did it. Good luck!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Nov. 20, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Oh, and you can usually find great books that are at their levels to go along w/ history. Easy reads like Magic Tree House, and series like Percy Jackson (Ancient Greek/Roman mythology), Kane Chronicles, (Ancient Egypt), Rangers Apprentice (Middle Ages), etc. So the kids could read those while you're gone.

mrs.hartman12
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I want them to do more of that entertain yourselves and it turn into a project!  Our problem lately is that when they do something like that, they get stuck.  We built catapults a few weeks ago and in our research we came across a book and that is all DS talks about now.  He wants the book and just keeps asking for it.  And he just keeps working on building mini "weapons" and DD copies whatever he does, so if he works on that she does too.  It's not a bad thing sometimes, but he won't come up with any other ideas at all, he is just stuck on the mini weapons.  I wish they would work on something different, but this happens any time we get into something they are interested in, they just get stuck.

Quoting Precious333:We do story of the world as well. I agree, finding additional things to read on it. Sotw also has activity books and tests.

Also, i dont let my kids play any games or watch tv until threy are done with their work, but like you, we only do 2 or so hours of school daily. So, somedays I will tell them to entertain themselves, which is what i told them today, and my son decided to make a rocketship out of cardboard boxes :)

if thats what he is interested in right now find books and documentaries about the history of weapons and war. A hobby shop should have models or 3d puzxles to put together. Even as an adult female I have seen some pretty fascinating stuff on the subject.
TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope your car ride went well tonight Debbie.

I just brought my older daughter home in September (her little sister and I started mid-August).  It's a juggle working with two, and we're still getting the hang of it too.  You can get so much more done in those 2-3 hours than ps does in a whole day.  There is so much wasted time (kids acting up, teachers spending time trying to pacify them, etc.) that you don't have to deal with.  It's all about quality and I'm sure your children are enjoying that with you.  I hope your husband sees that.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Thanks, Kate. And thank your for the history pockets idea, those look fun.

DH did relax a bit last night, we didn't talk much more about it because I was doing my research to get ready for today. We will all be in the car together tonight, so I'm hoping the kids spew out something I've taught them, lol. I don't think he wants them back in ps. And I told him if he does, then he will put them back in because I'm not going to. We definitely have days that I spend most of the time yelling and DD doesn't do her work and DS rushes through everything so he can play video games....but I still think it's better than ps. I tried explaining that it's going to take time for us to figure out what works. We just started in September, so 2.5 months...I like taking it easy but he is afraid they will fall behind. I understand his concern, but I am just so happy to have them out of the ps environment. We just have to work on finding that balance.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Before I forget - sorry your dh is talking about ps.  I hope he changes his mind soon so you can enjoy your teaching.  That's a lot of effort on your part, especially working too.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:34 AM

We borrow them from the library.  Our library also does interlibrary loans with a bunch of libraries in the state, so even though our library is kind of small, I can just request a book and another library sends it over.

Quoting kmath:

Just looked into this series and they look awesome!  I did find the Assyrian one (since that is where we are right now), but the cheapest is $20.

Quoting hwblyf:

It's amazing how many are in the series.  I just ordered the one about Sumerian slaves, but I couldn't find the one on Assyrian soldiers.  :(

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That's awful about the trip! That could have been such an amazing experience, I'm sorry they ruined it for you! I have never been anywhere amazing like that...I went to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls when I was 13, lol.

We are doing Cleopatra today, I am hoping at least DD will be interested. We did read one You Wouldn't Want to Be, I should definitely check the library for more, they did enjoy that one.

Quoting hwblyf:

Trebuchets and catapults are fun!

Also, have you guys looked at the You Wouldn't Want to Be series?  Those are fun.  I remember when I was a kid just devouring Cleopatra and Julius Caesar....oh my.....  When I went to Italy for a high school study trip, we had to study what was important to our chaperones.  We had an art teacher and a teacher whose heritage was Italian.  So I was doing it all "wrong" because I didn't like art, I'd rather spend my time looking at aqueducts or the Colliseum or whatnot than go to the frickin' art museums (I'm bitter...can you tell?), and I wanted to eat pasta and pizza.  So what could have been an amazing trip, was tainted because my teachers were not happy with me and forced me to spend my "free" time doing what they deemed appropriate.  :(

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I want them to do more of that entertain yourselves and it turn into a project!  Our problem lately is that when they do something like that, they get stuck.  We built catapults a few weeks ago and in our research we came across a book and that is all DS talks about now.  He wants the book and just keeps asking for it.  And he just keeps working on building mini "weapons" and DD copies whatever he does, so if he works on that she does too.  It's not a bad thing sometimes, but he won't come up with any other ideas at all, he is just stuck on the mini weapons.  I wish they would work on something different, but this happens any time we get into something they are interested in, they just get stuck.

Quoting Precious333:

We do story of the world as well. I agree, finding additional things to read on it. Sotw also has activity books and tests.

Also, i dont let my kids play any games or watch tv until threy are done with their work, but like you, we only do 2 or so hours of school daily. So, somedays I will tell them to entertain themselves, which is what i told them today, and my son decided to make a rocketship out of cardboard boxes :)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM

I do like this idea for sometimes.  But my husband specifically said I make them write too much, lol.  I certainly don't, he just hates writing so it seems like a lot to him.  I think he just hears a lot about spelling and grammar because DD needs that stuff and we do spend some time on both each day, it actually surprises me that he doesn't want me to push her with writing since he isn't so good at it.

But this is definitely something they could work on while I'm gone some afternoons!

Quoting kajira:

You know, I'm a big fan of assigning reading assignments on different subjects, then having a front and back page writing essay to sum up what he learns.

Not only does it practice writing, grammar, and spelling - it helps with hand writing, and he can do it on ANY topic. Which helps with retention and showing he learned something.

My kids 9 and he writes an essay every single day on at least one topic. Usually science because that's his favorite subject.... but I would have your kids use the internet to research and learn about different subjects, or in this case, cleopatra, then write a front and back page essay about what they learned, and how they learned it.

This may mollify your husband about HSing. :P

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:45 AM

I just started looking at time4learning, and now I will look at alice.org too.  Great ideas.  I get anxious leaving the internet open for all when I'm not closeby, I have accidentally seen things I wish I hadn't, I certainly don't want that to happen to them!

These are good book ideas too.  Thanks for you input!  I am making a list now :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

Oh, and you can usually find great books that are at their levels to go along w/ history. Easy reads like Magic Tree House, and series like Percy Jackson (Ancient Greek/Roman mythology), Kane Chronicles, (Ancient Egypt), Rangers Apprentice (Middle Ages), etc. So the kids could read those while you're gone.

kajira
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Sadly, my son's handwriting sucks. This is why he's stuck practicing so much. If he had perfect penmenship, I'd have already switched him over to a computer to do most of his stuff... but he can't switch to a PC until he gets better at writing.

I know, I know, I'm a meanie. (joking.) 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I do like this idea for sometimes.  But my husband specifically said I make them write too much, lol.  I certainly don't, he just hates writing so it seems like a lot to him.  I think he just hears a lot about spelling and grammar because DD needs that stuff and we do spend some time on both each day, it actually surprises me that he doesn't want me to push her with writing since he isn't so good at it.

But this is definitely something they could work on while I'm gone some afternoons!

Quoting kajira:

You know, I'm a big fan of assigning reading assignments on different subjects, then having a front and back page writing essay to sum up what he learns.

Not only does it practice writing, grammar, and spelling - it helps with hand writing, and he can do it on ANY topic. Which helps with retention and showing he learned something.

My kids 9 and he writes an essay every single day on at least one topic. Usually science because that's his favorite subject.... but I would have your kids use the internet to research and learn about different subjects, or in this case, cleopatra, then write a front and back page essay about what they learned, and how they learned it.

This may mollify your husband about HSing. :P

kmath
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Our library is tiny and only does exchanges with other libraries in the same system, which are all even smaller.  I will check and see if they have them though.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We borrow them from the library.  Our library also does interlibrary loans with a bunch of libraries in the state, so even though our library is kind of small, I can just request a book and another library sends it over.

Quoting kmath:

Just looked into this series and they look awesome!  I did find the Assyrian one (since that is where we are right now), but the cheapest is $20.

Quoting hwblyf:

It's amazing how many are in the series.  I just ordered the one about Sumerian slaves, but I couldn't find the one on Assyrian soldiers.  :(

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

That's awful about the trip! That could have been such an amazing experience, I'm sorry they ruined it for you! I have never been anywhere amazing like that...I went to the Canadian side of Niagra Falls when I was 13, lol.

We are doing Cleopatra today, I am hoping at least DD will be interested. We did read one You Wouldn't Want to Be, I should definitely check the library for more, they did enjoy that one.

Quoting hwblyf:

Trebuchets and catapults are fun!

Also, have you guys looked at the You Wouldn't Want to Be series?  Those are fun.  I remember when I was a kid just devouring Cleopatra and Julius Caesar....oh my.....  When I went to Italy for a high school study trip, we had to study what was important to our chaperones.  We had an art teacher and a teacher whose heritage was Italian.  So I was doing it all "wrong" because I didn't like art, I'd rather spend my time looking at aqueducts or the Colliseum or whatnot than go to the frickin' art museums (I'm bitter...can you tell?), and I wanted to eat pasta and pizza.  So what could have been an amazing trip, was tainted because my teachers were not happy with me and forced me to spend my "free" time doing what they deemed appropriate.  :(

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Precious333:

We do story of the world as well. I agree, finding additional things to read on it. Sotw also has activity books and tests.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)