Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten math

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
  • 11 Replies

Inspired by the first grade math thread.

What are you guys covering this year for kindergarten mathematics? We're using Miquon and What You Kindergartner Needs to Know (as a guideline).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Brandy85412
by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:40 PM
I am not using a curriculum. I am teaching her the basics. Recognizing numbers and writing them. We did some addition yesterday. I bought some counting cubes that worked great for her. I also have what your kindergarten needs to know so I look in that too. Practicing counting too. I have been using workbooks that have all different subjects.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 7:45 PM

What kind of cubes are you using? My son LOVES c-rods! Before we do any math with them, he "builds castles", lol.

Quoting Brandy85412:

I am not using a curriculum. I am teaching her the basics. Recognizing numbers and writing them. We did some addition yesterday. I bought some counting cubes that worked great for her. I also have what your kindergarten needs to know so I look in that too. Practicing counting too. I have been using workbooks that have all different subjects.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My kinder is learning basic addition and subtraction (one didget).  We already went over shapes, colors, and patterns. I plan to go over simple double didget (no borrowing or carrying) addition and subtraction by the end of the year along with a bit of telling time.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I love Math U See.  It teaches the importance of the number 0 (most math programs skip over that).  It also has manipulatives, which physically involves them...whole brain teaching. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

We are using Math U See Primer for my 4yo "kindergartener."  It has math manipulatives that are nearly the same as the miquon C-rods.  He loves to build castles with them too.  Right now we are working on stair-steps (using the blocks to count to 20 and using the "baby" one block to climb the stairs). 
So far we've covered counting from 0-9, and writing the numerals, recognizing the numerals and coloring the correct amount of blocks to show that numeral, some basic shapes,  and patterns.

Our next unit is using decimal street to "build" double digit numbers.  I'm not sure if he's ready for that though.  I had been thinking of skipping those to revisit them later and moving on to using the unit (one) blocks and corresponding colorful blocks to show one-to-one corresponding, but Math U See always has these systematic review pages with each unit and so the rest of the book keeps coming back to decimal street.  Guess we'll dive in next week and try it.  If he can't do it, we're taking December off anyway, so when we come back, we'll try something else.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM

We're not using a curriculum but she has already learned:

- Single digit addition from 0 to 10/single digit subtraction from 0 to 10
- Evens and odds (that's her favorite)
- Measuring with a measuring cup and ruler (she likes to go around the house measuring everything in inches with her ruler)
- Patterns (she does really complicated ones I set out and figures out what's next in the sequence)
- Geometric shapes (circle, cyllinder, cube, etc etc etc)
- We do a little bit of fractions (1/2 1/4 1/6 1/8 and she seems to understand how those relate to a drawn picture of a pizza pretty well and what they mean)
- Bar graphs
- Sorting by shape color and size
- Counting (our goal has been to count to 30 but she's gone above that on her own)
- Telling time with both a regular and digital clock
- Writing and recognizing numbers
- Skip counting by 2's, 5's and 10's
- Callendar and marking days

I actually feel like I'm out of math activities for Kindergarten.  This seems to be her favorite subject and she zips through math like nobody's business.  I was always really terrible at math.

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

Brandy85412
by on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I just brought them at the dollar store.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What kind of cubes are you using? My son LOVES c-rods! Before we do any math with them, he "builds castles", lol.

Quoting Brandy85412:

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We're using RightStart Math.  So far it's been learning to use the abacus, working on not counting but seeing qty of 5 to help with the abacus in the future, patterns, parallel & perpendicular, quadrilaterals, using a geo board for building shapes, odd/even, skip counting, understanding 20 as 2-10, 30 as 3-10 (again for later use on the abacus), the value zero, and lots of matching games.

DD already knows how to count to 100, write her numbers etc but we've also played a lot with the fractions puzzle, LOVE that puzzle!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I have no kindergartner but I am teaching a creative math class for that age group. We are using life of fred, k'nex math set, math in motion, math journals, and math mysteries. I have a bunch of Art projects planned for math. When my kids were that age we used legos for patterns, adding, subtracting, and counting. We skip counted while jumping on our mini trampoline. We read a ton of picture books on math. We used workbooks for the written portion of math.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM
No curriculum for kinder here. It's pretty easy to just incorporate math into daily life at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)