Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling in Tennessee

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

We are in California, but my mom asked tonight about good options out there.  A friend of hers wants to homeschool.  I have heard k12 out there is not a good option, is there homeschool charter schools that anyone would suggest or any laws I need to be aware of to give them.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:55 AM
We want to move out of Florida and took Tennessee off of our list of possibilities specifically because they have jerky HS laws. Checking the state laws would be the first step, of course. I believe I also had issues with their vax laws, like they make it impossible to legally HS without having your kids jabbed, but PS kids can waive shots, or something like that. It's been a while since I checked it.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Thanks. I know I read on the k12 sites that they are a horrible choice so I am trying to figure that out for my mom's friend. I sent what I could find last night and we will see what they choose. I also offered To look up more and help as much as possible. Blew

But I think I told my husband when we started this journey we could not homeschool there.

Quoting tuffymama:

We want to move out of Florida and took Tennessee off of our list of possibilities specifically because they have jerky HS laws. Checking the state laws would be the first step, of course. I believe I also had issues with their vax laws, like they make it impossible to legally HS without having your kids jabbed, but PS kids can waive shots, or something like that. It's been a while since I checked it.
A_McCool
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 3:17 PM

We are in Tennessee, and my daughter is enrolled in TNVA.  I like it, but I think it may be because her teacher is so awesome. There have been many changes this year that many people have complained about; however, her teacher has done an excellent job of implementing them in a rather painless way.  She had the same teacher last year for kindergarten and this year for 1st, and I'm well aware that my experience probably does not reflect that of most people.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM
I appreciate your insight. It is very helpful.

Quoting A_McCool:

We are in Tennessee, and my daughter is enrolled in TNVA.  I like it, but I think it may be because her teacher is so awesome. There have been many changes this year that many people have complained about; however, her teacher has done an excellent job of implementing them in a rather painless way.  She had the same teacher last year for kindergarten and this year for 1st, and I'm well aware that my experience probably does not reflect that of most people.

veganmomma2
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I'm in TN and we use an umbrella school...all I had to do was fill out sign up papers and pay , which was like $90 for the year and that was with the first time student fee, each year after are like $65 other then that I send in grades in January and in July , no testing unless I wanted it and they keep up with all the paper work..we use Daniel 1 academy
veganmomma2
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM
When using an umbrella you do NOT have to show proof of vax I'm in TN and my daughter is in kindergarten and has not had any shots..and we only had to put down a loose idea of what we are doing for the year...we are piecing together curriculum this year and doing allot of hands on things :-)

Quoting debramommyof4:

Thanks. I know I read on the k12 sites that they are a horrible choice so I am trying to figure that out for my mom's friend. I sent what I could find last night and we will see what they choose. I also offered To look up more and help as much as possible. Blew

But I think I told my husband when we started this journey we could not homeschool there.

Quoting tuffymama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)