Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Pulling my First Grader from k12 this week

Posted by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
  • 11 Replies

The only one still in k12 and she only wanted it because she loved seeing her teacher once a week.  Since my husbands motorcycle accident we can not afford the 1 hour drive to the place where the class meets. 

I have also been noticing they are not teaching the same things they did to my dd last year (granted she is advanced and a grade ahead in math so she was doing 2nd grade last year.)  But she can not do a problem like 1+4=_+3 and they expect her too.  She picked it up quickly after one little lesson but she is not use to needing lessons because she is use to knowing it.  I want harder work for somethings and time to slow down on others and she is not getting that.

Her writing is not legible and I do make her rewrite and rewrite and have started coming up with different printouts for her than her work book. 

Plus I read her the story the other day and she had to use 3 words in a sentence (I told her she could write 3 sentences), it also had to be about the story we read just then, she could not do it.  She could not even tell me the sentence.  So we need to take some serious time on that.  

So I am going to have an interesting day tomorrow.  She will be pulled no later than the end of Thanksgiving week as soon as I talk to both schools hopefully it will be done.  She is happy because she is getting to start dance, the new charter pays for it, but she is going to miss her teacher and weekly friends terribly.

by on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 20, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Good luck I hope the transition goes smoothly!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Thanks. The one thing I am scared of is talking to her teacher. Her teacher is awesome but I hate k12 time limits. Plus this is going to make things easier planning wise.

I was not going to take next week off but now I am to plan and get ready as we have to send the k12 stuff back.

Quoting usmom3:

Good luck I hope the transition goes smoothly!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Good luck!  I hope she likes the new way enough that she isn't disappointed by not visiting with her teacher.  We got the kids into a co-op right away so they had a new "teacher" to visit. Although the old teacher came to us and the new teacher has never been to our house, which kind of bothers them.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM
Don't be intimidated about talking to the teacher. It's been my experience that GOOD teachers know the cons and limits of K12.
(Edited many times because my thumbs are outta control.)
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
We do Co-op and she loves that. It is on break till after Christmas though. But I am hoping it helps. Thank you.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Good luck!  I hope she likes the new way enough that she isn't disappointed by not visiting with her teacher.  We got the kids into a co-op right away so they had a new "teacher" to visit. Although the old teacher came to us and the new teacher has never been to our house, which kind of bothers them.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
I am just afraid she will take it personally. I do not do confrontation. But I am pretty sure she will just be sad to see us go. She is a pretty awesome teacher.

Quoting tuffymama:

Don't be intimidated about talking to the teacher. It's been my experience that GOOD teachers know the cons and limits of K12.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Our teacher cried when we left, but she knew it just had to be for our family.  Your teacher will understand.  Why don't you have dd write her a thank you card or goodbye card expressing how much you've liked working with her?  It would be a fun project for her while you figure things out and it would help alleviate your concerns that she'll take it personally.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am just afraid she will take it personally. I do not do confrontation. But I am pretty sure she will just be sad to see us go. She is a pretty awesome teacher.

Quoting tuffymama:

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. That's a great idea and she will love doing it.

Quoting bluerooffarm: Our teacher cried when we left, but she knew it just had to be for our family.  Your teacher will understand.  Why don't you have dd write her a thank you card or goodbye card expressing how much you've liked working with her?  It would be a fun project for her while you figure things out and it would help alleviate your concerns that she'll take it personally.
Quoting debramommyof4:I am just afraid she will take it personally. I do not do confrontation. But I am pretty sure she will just be sad to see us go. She is a pretty awesome teacher.
Quoting tuffymama:Don't be intimidated about talking to the teacher. It's been my experience that GOOD teachers know the cons and limits of K12.(Edited many times because my thumbs are outta control.)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck!
celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I used K12 with my three kids (for a short time). They NEVER met their teachers. It was all done online.

What do you plan on doing after K12?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)