Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

So I almost threw in the towel

Posted by   + Show Post
So I have been very excited about homeschooling. I've homeschooled my son half of last yr and now all of his 12 grade yr. Some of my frustrations are: He wants to go to a private art school, well they won't accept him because he's homeschooled. I even have his curriculum through an accredited private homeschool ( they do all the record keeping and as long as he is doing 3 subjects with their curriculum then he would be able to have an accredited diploma). So this means he will have to go to a Jr college first and then try to re- apply. I found out that the state colleges can not discriminate but the private ones can. Then my daughter who is being homeschooled for 4th grade, said she wanted to go back to public school. I feel like a failure! She says she misses her friends. I want to get her involved in an extra curricular activity to get her around more kids her age, but everything I suggest she shoots down.. like dance, or any type of sports. So I almost went to her old PS and enrolled her again :/ But thankfully I waited and she changed her mind. She said she likes homeschooling but does miss her friends. I let her have many playdates with her best friends, but she still misses seeing them on a daily basis. Both kids are on target as far as their school work is concerned. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I hate the PS in my area. So was wondering if there are any suggestions for an extra curricular activity for her that is not dance or sports? One of my friends suggested 4H.... any thoughts? Has anyone done 4H before? Thanks for any suggestions.
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

You're lucky! There aren't any local groups around here. Fortunately ds and dd's best friends live just down the street so they get plenty of socializing after school, just how I like it :-)

Quoting rosie211:

Are there not any homeschool groups around? There are many opportunities where I live to get together with other homeschoolers. We do a lot of activities at the library as well so they have a chance to meet new people. Good luck and I am glad you are sticking with it! I think homeschooling is a wonderful thing and can't imagine sending my children to the schools here.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Can he take community college classes this year as both a senior and a college freshman? That's popular here.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I would take your daughter to free trial classes even if she bulks. Maybe it sounds boring or dumb from a distance but if she saw a class in action she may change her mind.
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:48 PM

See if there is a book club or craft club for the homeschool community & if there isn't consider starting one for her!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM
We also hqve Antlers, a youth program throught the Elks lodge for kds age 12-20. They do all sorts of community service and have fun supervised social time.

And

Teen Court, through our city, which accepts jurors as young as 10years old. They are taught courtroom procedure, listen to cases, and deliberate and set the punishments. The "suspects" are all first time, non-violent juvenile offenders who are given the option of teen court instead of the full County juvenile justice system. They can only do teen court one time. If they are arrested or cited again, they go to the full county system and juvenile hall.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
We have a HUGE homeschool group here. We had park day yesterday and there were over 40 kids. They do co-op classes, field trips, teen hangouts, sooooo muchhh!
coala
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

How do you "over socialize"?  People are always wondering how we socialize.  Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The family here has so many kids, they lik to sweep all he levels, so they don't skip any.  We liked our animals too.  And the boys had fun, but they are having fum in FFA too, and really with all they are in it's good to get rid of an activity!  LOL (my kids are over-socialized!)

Quoting tansyflower:

considering the end result is a competition it always sucks when the same kids win year after year.  in our 4h everyone starts out as cloverbuds, but that family always skipped it and wen straight into the older levels of 4h even if their kid was only 5!  it ended up being a big competition between the parents, because after all they were the ones buying the most expensive feed and breeding stock.  but really i just liked animals and thought it was fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  Our "last straw" with 4H was when a judge told us that our son's project was great, "above level" and yet he he would not vote for him and he was sorry.  Zave did enjoy it, but I figured that some day he would get frustrated.

Quoting tansyflower:

this is a really great breakdown!  i was in 4H as a small child and one family pretty much ran the show.  it didnt help that between them and their extended family they were half the population of our county lol :)

but i still enjoyed it.  my friend was in FFA and she really loved it too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Around here there are both 4H and FFA (future farmers of America) we prefferd the FFA.  Our 4H is nearly as cliquey as the PS.  I've heard they can be wonderfull, but I suggest you look into past award winners.  If the same names come up over and over and over, see if there's an FFA instead.  Also see if there are divisions for what you want to do.  Around here there are cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, hogs etc, but there wasn't a division for bees which one of the boys is interested in for later.  In our FFA there are projects, but there are no rewards.  There is an auction at the end and the reward is the monetary payback.  Also the projects are all viewed at a fair and some of the kids have gotten scholarships for their projects.  One of our group has gotten a "half ride" to Penn State Ag school for his no-till project.  My oldest is only 8, so we have only been involved 4 years.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 5:26 PM

LOL!  Yeah, IRL no-one even asks me about the dreaded s-word anymore.  With soccer, 2 youth groups, 2 co-ops, FFA, playgroup, swimming, book club, in a play, learning an instrument, archery and there is something I'm missing I just know it..... we do way too much.  When they were in school, we did not have time to do all the stuff we do now.  I wouldn't let them join soccer because we could not get their homework done before practice started; swimming begins before the PS schoolday ends, etc. 

Quoting coala:

How do you "over socialize"?  People are always wondering how we socialize.  Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

The family here has so many kids, they lik to sweep all he levels, so they don't skip any.  We liked our animals too.  And the boys had fun, but they are having fum in FFA too, and really with all they are in it's good to get rid of an activity!  LOL (my kids are over-socialized!)

Quoting tansyflower:

considering the end result is a competition it always sucks when the same kids win year after year.  in our 4h everyone starts out as cloverbuds, but that family always skipped it and wen straight into the older levels of 4h even if their kid was only 5!  it ended up being a big competition between the parents, because after all they were the ones buying the most expensive feed and breeding stock.  but really i just liked animals and thought it was fun :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Thanks!  Our "last straw" with 4H was when a judge told us that our son's project was great, "above level" and yet he he would not vote for him and he was sorry.  Zave did enjoy it, but I figured that some day he would get frustrated.

Quoting tansyflower:

this is a really great breakdown!  i was in 4H as a small child and one family pretty much ran the show.  it didnt help that between them and their extended family they were half the population of our county lol :)

but i still enjoyed it.  my friend was in FFA and she really loved it too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Around here there are both 4H and FFA (future farmers of America) we prefferd the FFA.  Our 4H is nearly as cliquey as the PS.  I've heard they can be wonderfull, but I suggest you look into past award winners.  If the same names come up over and over and over, see if there's an FFA instead.  Also see if there are divisions for what you want to do.  Around here there are cows, chickens, ducks, rabbits, hogs etc, but there wasn't a division for bees which one of the boys is interested in for later.  In our FFA there are projects, but there are no rewards.  There is an auction at the end and the reward is the monetary payback.  Also the projects are all viewed at a fair and some of the kids have gotten scholarships for their projects.  One of our group has gotten a "half ride" to Penn State Ag school for his no-till project.  My oldest is only 8, so we have only been involved 4 years.

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

It depends on what is offered in your area and what your kids interests are. Some areas offer more than others and some kids interests might not match up to what is available in your area (or your budget). 

My kids have had mixed feelings too. They were homeschooled until 2nd grade. Then life was thrown up into the air for a bit and it was best for them to attend public school for 2yrs. This year we returned to homeschooling. Whether they were in public school or homeschooling... they have had days where they preferred one over the other. However, I always knew WHY I was making the decisions that I was making.

When we started homeschooling this year, we had recently moved and were getting settled in. The kids were not in any activities. My son more than anyone became restless with homeschooling. I was not willing to let him attend public school this year but have given the kids a choice concerning next year.

My kids were hesitant to get involved in activities. So I had to just kind of just do it anyways.

My youngest daughter loves cake decorating with her grandma (who does it for a side income). So I put her in classes for that. My son loves camping so I put him in boy scouts. I decided to take a knitting class and surprising to me, all of my kids wanted to take the classes with me. All of my kids love art, so I put them in kids art classes at the local art college. We do attend some local homeschool activities in the area. Plus we do alot of stuff out and about in the area.

If my kids go back to public school next year, I would just do a bit of "school" with them on the side.

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Damn, that is a lot. How do they have time to devote to everything?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Yeah, IRL no-one even asks me about the dreaded s-word anymore.  With soccer, 2 youth groups, 2 co-ops, FFA, playgroup, swimming, book club, in a play, learning an instrument, archery and there is something I'm missing I just know it..... we do way too much.  When they were in school, we did not have time to do all the stuff we do now.  I wouldn't let them join soccer because we could not get their homework done before practice started; swimming begins before the PS schoolday ends, etc. 

Quoting coala:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)