Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I almost threw in the towel

Posted by   + Show Post
So I have been very excited about homeschooling. I've homeschooled my son half of last yr and now all of his 12 grade yr. Some of my frustrations are: He wants to go to a private art school, well they won't accept him because he's homeschooled. I even have his curriculum through an accredited private homeschool ( they do all the record keeping and as long as he is doing 3 subjects with their curriculum then he would be able to have an accredited diploma). So this means he will have to go to a Jr college first and then try to re- apply. I found out that the state colleges can not discriminate but the private ones can. Then my daughter who is being homeschooled for 4th grade, said she wanted to go back to public school. I feel like a failure! She says she misses her friends. I want to get her involved in an extra curricular activity to get her around more kids her age, but everything I suggest she shoots down.. like dance, or any type of sports. So I almost went to her old PS and enrolled her again :/ But thankfully I waited and she changed her mind. She said she likes homeschooling but does miss her friends. I let her have many playdates with her best friends, but she still misses seeing them on a daily basis. Both kids are on target as far as their school work is concerned. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I hate the PS in my area. So was wondering if there are any suggestions for an extra curricular activity for her that is not dance or sports? One of my friends suggested 4H.... any thoughts? Has anyone done 4H before? Thanks for any suggestions.
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Replies (21-24):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Mostly it's just having different things at different times.  Like Soccer finished the week before swimming started.  The co-ops run their different programs at different times.  Archery we can do anytime we need to shoot something (just kidding) we have a target for field tips and for broad heads in our backyard.  

So for example our October schedule was : Monday and Wednesday nights soccer, Tuesday afternoon guitar and lap harp (same time different kids), Tuesday evening was playgroup, Thursday at 5 was co-op (church), Thursday at 6:30 was book club, Friday was breakfast with the grandparents, Saturday was co-op 2 (art-based), Sunday was Youth group right after church and then a Bible study youth group at 5.  It was hectic, but definately doable.  We wake up at 6:30 and school is usually from 7:30-12:30.  So it makes it easier to get other stuff done throughout the day.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Damn, that is a lot. How do they have time to devote to everything?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Yeah, IRL no-one even asks me about the dreaded s-word anymore.  With soccer, 2 youth groups, 2 co-ops, FFA, playgroup, swimming, book club, in a play, learning an instrument, archery and there is something I'm missing I just know it..... we do way too much.  When they were in school, we did not have time to do all the stuff we do now.  I wouldn't let them join soccer because we could not get their homework done before practice started; swimming begins before the PS schoolday ends, etc. 

Quoting coala:

How do you "over socialize"?  People are always wondering how we socialize.  Lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Have you checked into your local colleges to see if they are offering any free classes or if there are any classes that are available for audit?

Quoting Headevas:

There aren't any other art schools around other then the one he wants to attend. Ofcouse he can go to an online art school but he wants to go and get the hands on affect. He wants to get into computer animation and the art school he wants to go to has an awesome program for that. So I will just have him go to the Jr College for a semester and see if they will accept him then.  As far as Home school groups in are area, there are a couple but they are very clicky. I've been to 2 in my area and the parents are not friendly and the kids stick with their groups.... so I'm frustrated with that. Thank you for the suggestions and maybe the FFA will be a good fit for her. She wants to be a Vet when she grows up( at least for now) and that would give her a good experience. I am done with the whole clique thing.... it's just stupid in my opinion. 

JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM

How about music lessons?  Sometimes those are group things, or choir.  I would really fight the private art school on that, because Homeschool is just as good as public school, and he was only homeschooled for a year and a half so they can't go and say he isn't well rounded or socialized.

tnt-manda
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:12 AM
You know mom's are most likely to give up on homeschooling during November and Feb.

Sorry, I'm not sure just hang in there, sounds like your in a transition phase from ps to hs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)