Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much regulation should homeschooling have?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree that homeschooling should be regulated?

Options:

Yes, there should be checks to make sure kids don't fall through the cracks.

No. I don't agree at all. I don't want the government involved in my child's education.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Link to the rest of the article

His father, Clarence Powell, defends the home-school education, that Josh and his 11 siblings received, and that he has a right to educate his children anyway he sees fit without the government interfering. And in that respect, he's correct: According to Virginia state law, parents who have a religious objection, can opt to not only home-school their children but to do so without any government oversight, meaning there is no mandatory curriculum and no checks placed on the family to ensure the children are learning at an appropriate level.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Replies (141-145):
celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:53 AM

That does seem like an odd law. What would justify a court order - does it even say? I am trying to see their logic, but it just seems backwards to me.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are required to keep attendance and a portfolio - but we aren't required to show it to anyone without a court order, lol. It seems a bit odd to me, actually. We aren't required to have assessments, testing, or anything like that.

Like you, I am grateful for the laws here that protect my right to educate as I please (relatively).

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

The same entity that oversees the public schools, oversees homeschoolers (here, if I'm not mistaken). To be frak, if our regs were more strict, I would much prefer to pay out of pocket for an assessment.

Our state requires that.

Maybe the reason I don't mind regulations is because I know what it entails. I know it is just attendance records, a portfolio of some work samples, and an evaluation by an outside party (of my choosing). I just hand it all into the local school district. I guess that I do not understand why anyone would think that is too much to ask for. 

The public schools do not oversee my homeschooling here. While the documents DO end up in the hands of the school district; it was evaluated prior to that and I have laws that protect me (they can not ask for anything beyond what the law states). Also, the schools are too overwhelmed to waste time and money to takes cases infront of a judge without sufficient cause. 

I just think that some things are so important that at least moderate regulation is not only acceptable, but the responsible thing to do. A childs right to an education would be one of them (imo). Im not sure that I will ever understand why homeschoolers think that their children do not deserve this LEGAL right. 

I know that some think that if you give an inch they will take the mile. Im in a state that took an inch and I don't feel like they took a mile. I think homeschooling looks more irresponsible to people if it is not regulated at all. If something bad happens, then they are more prone to blame homeschooling and try to OVER compensate with the laws (as recent cases have proven). 

You did make a point with the schools that got me thinking - IF there are states requiring the schools to be the evaluator... THAT is when I would want different laws. Not JUST because the school district might be failing at providing an adequate education, but because it has an invested interest to see your child attend its school vs being homeschooled. They would be biased "judges" over the matter. However, I think the law would still protect you - but what a hassle! However, the choices are not just this (above example) or no laws at all. 

I respect that we have different opinions though and I guess it is good that we are both in states that reflect our views on the matter.

Certainly, not all schools are bad by any means; I happen to live in one of the states with the worst schools, nationwide, so my opinion is going to reflect that, lol.

My state actually has very, very few regs for homeschoolers (and for private schools, for that matter) - one of the perks of living in a conservative state :P

You misread my analogy - I said a mom with 4 out of 6 of her CHILDREN incarcerated (not that she is incarcerated). Well, you did't misread, you just quoted too soon; I realized that my analogy was poorly written, so I went back to edit (after you quoted, I think).

Sorry about that. Now I do get what you were trying to say there. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:56 AM

What's odd is that the laws are there in writing, but there is no way to enforce it.

I imagine a claim of educational or general neglect would warrant something... a visit... but then, simply a claim doesn't allow for an actual warrant, in most cases; there needs to be proof. I mean, if someone came knocking and asked to see DS' portfolio and attedance, I'd show them, but I'm not mandated to do so.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

That does seem like an odd law. What would justify a court order - Does it even say?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We are required to keep attendance and a portfolio - but we aren't required to show it to anyone without a court order, lol. It seems a bit odd to me, actually. We aren't required to have assessments, testing, or anything like that.

Like you, I am grateful for the laws here that protect my right to educate as I please (relatively).

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

The same entity that oversees the public schools, oversees homeschoolers (here, if I'm not mistaken). To be frak, if our regs were more strict, I would much prefer to pay out of pocket for an assessment.

Our state requires that.

Maybe the reason I don't mind regulations is because I know what it entails. I know it is just attendance records, a portfolio of some work samples, and an evaluation by an outside party (of my choosing). I just hand it all into the local school district. I guess that I do not understand why anyone would think that is too much to ask for. 

The public schools do not oversee my homeschooling here. While the documents DO end up in the hands of the school district; it was evaluated prior to that and I have laws that protect me (they can not ask for anything beyond what the law states). Also, the schools are too overwhelmed to waste time and money to takes cases infront of a judge without sufficient cause. 

I just think that some things are so important that at least moderate regulation is not only acceptable, but the responsible thing to do. A childs right to an education would be one of them (imo). Im not sure that I will ever understand why homeschoolers think that their children do not deserve this LEGAL right. 

I know that some think that if you give an inch they will take the mile. Im in a state that took an inch and I don't feel like they took a mile. I think homeschooling looks more irresponsible to people if it is not regulated at all. If something bad happens, then they are more prone to blame homeschooling and try to OVER compensate with the laws (as recent cases have proven). 

You did make a point with the schools that got me thinking - IF there are states requiring the schools to be the evaluator... THAT is when I would want different laws. Not JUST because the school district might be failing at providing an adequate education, but because it has an invested interest to see your child attend its school vs being homeschooled. They would be biased "judges" over the matter. However, I think the law would still protect you - but what a hassle! However, the choices are not just this (above example) or no laws at all. 

I respect that we have different opinions though and I guess it is good that we are both in states that reflect our views on the matter.

Certainly, not all schools are bad by any means; I happen to live in one of the states with the worst schools, nationwide, so my opinion is going to reflect that, lol.

My state actually has very, very few regs for homeschoolers (and for private schools, for that matter) - one of the perks of living in a conservative state :P

You misread my analogy - I said a mom with 4 out of 6 of her CHILDREN incarcerated (not that she is incarcerated). Well, you did't misread, you just quoted too soon; I realized that my analogy was poorly written, so I went back to edit (after you quoted, I think).

Sorry about that. Now I do get what you were trying to say there. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

celtic77dragon
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, I had just edited to add that it just seems backwards to me - and after reading this, it sure seems useless. By the time you got a court order, you would already have a burden of proof that there was trouble in the home. What would be the point of asking to look at attendance records at that point?!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

What's odd is that the laws are there in writing, but there is no way to enforce it.

I imagine a claim of educational or general neglect would warrant something... a visit... but then, simply a claim doesn't allow for an actual warrant, in most cases; there needs to be proof. I mean, if someone came knocking and asked to see DS' portfolio and attedance, I'd show them, but I'm not mandated to do so.

Quoting celtic77dragon:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Well, I suppose just as they can't demand to search your home without a warrant, they can't demand to see your children's school records without it.

Some of the "requirements", like attendance, make no sense to me. I know homeschoolers who mark a day of attendance for attending the grocery store. Regardless of how some abuse the lax requirements, attendance for a homeschool day IS going to look different than the same of a public school day (although, really, so long as we meet 180 days present, they don't care how we get there, lol).

Quoting celtic77dragon:

Yeah, I had just edited to add that it just seems backwards to me - and after reading this, it sure seems useless. By the time you got a court order, you would already have a burden of proof that there was trouble in the home. What would be the point of asking to look at attendance records at that point?!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting celtic77dragon:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Why thank you!
So sorry I didn't respond sooner but it just so happens that I am tending my rescuer now as he's been sick.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

HUGS!!! It hurts my heart that anyone should be treated that way.. And it hurts all the more when you're smart enough to be keenly aware of people's attitudes and treatment of you.  I'm sorry you had to go through that.. BLESS YOUR HUSBAND! :-D  I'm thankful you had someone come into your life that could help you!

Quoting kirbymom: I know how you feel. Or more accurately, how your son felt. I was treated the same way. Even by my own mother as she bought into what the teachers and the professionals said about me. It was years later and my husband who "rescued" me. Even though I had taken an IQ test and I was shown to have above average intelligence. If not for my hubby, I would never have known just how wrong all those people were about me. Thank God for people like you and my husband.

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

I sent an email to several of the administrators in that meeting, after my son started college, but the one that actually made the ugly comment was no longer there, so I don't know if she knows or not. 

I have been very proud of my son's path.. I always KNEW he was smart and it is my joy and honor to watch him excel educationally.

Unfortunately, there are still far too many "old time" educators who still think kids with dyslexia are dumb and they treat them as if they are idiots or a pain in the neck.  It has been appalling to me as I work with other moms and learn the devastating ways adults treat kids with learning disabilities.  When I think of the other kids in that school who were treated like my son, and knowing some of the outcomes.. It makes me really sad for the kids.

I am still baffled about why teachers and administrators aren't taught or don't KNOW that kids with learning disabilities are of NORMAL IQ and they CAN learn.  And, they aren't taught how to work effectively with the kids.  It's such a waste of human potential, and in the cases of kids whose self-esteems are crushed or the kids are bullied to the point of suicide, it is devastating. 

Seriously, I sometimes wonder why some people are more worried about homeschoolers than they are the public schools, where many more kids are affected by low expectations.  The vast majority of homeschooling parents are passionate about education otherwise they wouldn't be taking on the task.

Quoting kirbymom: I thought so! That is so awesome! I would be so proud too. :)
Did you ever go back and show those people how wrong they were about your son?

Quoting DyslexiaParent:

Yes, it is!  My oldest, the one in the story, is about to graduate from college with honors! :-D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN