Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much regulation should homeschooling have?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you agree that homeschooling should be regulated?

Options:

Yes, there should be checks to make sure kids don't fall through the cracks.

No. I don't agree at all. I don't want the government involved in my child's education.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 68

View Results

Link to the rest of the article

His father, Clarence Powell, defends the home-school education, that Josh and his 11 siblings received, and that he has a right to educate his children anyway he sees fit without the government interfering. And in that respect, he's correct: According to Virginia state law, parents who have a religious objection, can opt to not only home-school their children but to do so without any government oversight, meaning there is no mandatory curriculum and no checks placed on the family to ensure the children are learning at an appropriate level.

by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 21, 2013 at 7:48 PM

It'll be pretty rough for them.

I'm not asking for government intervention, just saying if they get wind of an older child having issues, they may use it as an excuse to pound down on all of us.  It looks like 25% of public high school students fail or drop out.  I can't find stats for hs children, but I'm assuming our percentages are much lower.  It just made me cringe to think of having more regulation because the government would consider it justified.

Quoting paganbaby:

As bad as I feel for those kids, I wouldn't want the laws to change because of it. If nothing else they can always continue their education on their own by taking classes in college or just hitting the library.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That is a doozy of a question!  I don't want to show the government all of the wonderful things we're accomplishing this year (though I would love to brag how much more they're learning than the did in ps - evil laugh!).  

I have been to a few local hs events and I've seen two children who definitely aren't getting the education they need to succeed.  Honestly, I hope those types don't end up causing the rest of us to go through extreme amounts of regulation in the future.

Grumpy.Cat
by Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I think children's rights need to come before parent's rights. Parents can advocate for themselves. Children cannot. Their rights trump your comfort/rights.

Not in the sense of overseeing the homeschooling itself, or dictating curriculum, but I do think there should be a minimum requirement to register a child with the local authority as a homeschooler and to have a basic wellness evaluation every year.

Homeschooling is great for those of us who don't abuse kids, but it's a godsend to those who do. Abuse is often caught at schools, there's teachers and other kids and their parents around. That safety net is not there for homeschooled kids, one needs to be there in its place.

Homeschooling also has its fair share of extremists (religious and otherwise) who use it as a way to isolate and indoctrinate children. With extreme philosophies tends to come extreme parenting methods, like the sick fucks that follow those child training manuals. Without some kind of oversight or checking up on the children, bad things happen and there is NO ONE to even see it, let alone put a stop to it.

It's no fun to have someone evaluate your home and life, but I'm not selfish enough to think that just because *I'M* not doing anything wrong, that those kids whose parents are abusing them don't deserve to be checked out and taken out of bad situations. If that means putting up with an evaluation on my home, so be it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Even with "wellness checks", indoctrination and isolation isn't illegal. In many states, the discipline methods advocated by the whack job Pearls isn't illegal! It's perfectly legal in my state to hit a child with a belt, pipe line - whatever. So what would be gained by these checks - unless you're proposing that parents shouldn't be allowed to teach a child their own beliefs and parents as they see fit (even isolation) - slippery slope?

ETA: to be clear, I think the pearls are whack jobs and I'm a non-spanker, lol... lest you think I'm defending their abuse.

Quoting Grumpy.Cat:

I think children's rights need to come before parent's rights. Parents can advocate for themselves. Children cannot. Their rights trump your comfort/rights.

Not in the sense of overseeing the homeschooling itself, or dictating curriculum, but I do think there should be a minimum requirement to register a child with the local authority as a homeschooler and to have a basic wellness evaluation every year.

Homeschooling is great for those of us who don't abuse kids, but it's a godsend to those who do. Abuse is often caught at schools, there's teachers and other kids and their parents around. That safety net is not there for homeschooled kids, one needs to be there in its place.

Homeschooling also has its fair share of extremists (religious and otherwise) who use it as a way to isolate and indoctrinate children. With extreme philosophies tends to come extreme parenting methods, like the sick fucks that follow those child training manuals. Without some kind of oversight or checking up on the children, bad things happen and there is NO ONE to even see it, let alone put a stop to it.

It's no fun to have someone evaluate your home and life, but I'm not selfish enough to think that just because *I'M* not doing anything wrong, that those kids whose parents are abusing them don't deserve to be checked out and taken out of bad situations. If that means putting up with an evaluation on my home, so be it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I agree with you and hope like hell it doesn't happen. I can't see how homeschooling could possibly be worse than public school. I dropped out in 9th grade yet I didn't learn a thing past 6th. I ended up teaching myself as a teenager.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I'm not asking for government intervention, just saying if they get wind of an older child having issues, they may use it as an excuse to pound down on all of us.  It looks like 25% of public high school students fail or drop out.  I can't find stats for hs children, but I'm assuming our percentages are much lower.  It just made me cringe to think of having more regulation because the government would consider it justified.

Quoting paganbaby:

As bad as I feel for those kids, I wouldn't want the laws to change because of it. If nothing else they can always continue their education on their own by taking classes in college or just hitting the library.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That is a doozy of a question!  I don't want to show the government all of the wonderful things we're accomplishing this year (though I would love to brag how much more they're learning than the did in ps - evil laugh!).  

I have been to a few local hs events and I've seen two children who definitely aren't getting the education they need to succeed.  Honestly, I hope those types don't end up causing the rest of us to go through extreme amounts of regulation in the future.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 8:59 PM
3 moms liked this
So we should have regulation for homeschoolers just because of possibleabuse??? So what happens to every child under the age of five? Are parents of toddlers supposed to submit to bi-yearly home checks to make sure they aren't being abused? Since when is a school responsible for "protecting" children? Homeschooling is a parental right. I want NO government oversight. Government is notorious for taking that mile when you give an inch.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM

While I understand what you're saying, I just can't get behind someone checking my home and invading my privacy.

Quoting Grumpy.Cat:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Good question!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

So we should have regulation for homeschoolers just because of possibleabuse??? So what happens to every child under the age of five? Are parents of toddlers supposed to submit to bi-yearly home checks to make sure they aren't being abused? Since when is a school responsible for "protecting" children? Homeschooling is a parental right. I want NO government oversight. Government is notorious for taking that mile when you give an inch.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I could. A million and ten ways. At least in public school, you WILL get the basics - like it or not. With no regulation, homeschooled children have no such guarantee.

I'm anti-regs because I do not believe in punishing the whole for the actions of a few - but I can certainly see how homeschooling has the potential to be worse than public school.

Quoting paganbaby:

I agree with you and hope like hell it doesn't happen. I can't see how homeschooling could possibly be worse than public school. I dropped out in 9th grade yet I didn't learn a thing past 6th. I ended up teaching myself as a teenager.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You did a great job Pagan (Annie, right?).

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you :-) And yep, it's Annie. Good memory!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

You did a great job Pagan (Annie, right?).

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)