Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

multiplication?

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
  • 108 Replies
What age did you start mulitplication, and who approach did you take? Singapore is what we use, and its great for getting him to understand thr concepts, but now i am thinking we should work on memorizing his multiplication facts. He already skip.counts (up to 15s)
by on Nov. 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
I think we will work on memorization of facts and working with Legos. This approach works best with my son.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I'm checking out some real world math for 8yo ds.

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
You use legos to do math?

Quoting mem82:

I think we will work on memorization of facts and working with Legos. This approach works best with my son.

Precious333
by Julia on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:13 AM
What would that look like for multiplication?

Quoting paganbaby:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:15 AM
3 moms liked this
I started in 1st at his request. I don't push memorization. I just encourage them to play and have fun with math. Logic is more important than memorization
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Some examples.

Sonny has 3 nerf guns. You have twice as many. How many guns do you have?

I'm at the store and see a 4 pack of rootbeer on sale. I buy 5 packs. How many cans of rootbeer will I have?

The best way for my son to do math is to put it in real world terms. If I write an equation on a peice of paper, he'll freak out and swear he can't do it. But if I make it like this, no problem. In fact he prefers to do the math in his head. He really doesn't like paper,lol.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

This.

Quoting jen2150:

I started in 1st at his request. I don't push memorization. I just encourage them to play and have fun with math. Logic is more important than memorization

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that 3rd/4th grade is the average level for multipliation. Age isnt as relevant as readiness though. 

I did research on the math in Singapore and they are quite rigorous. They have math clubs, use math websites, have a lot of math "homework". They made extra workbooks to compensate somewhat for that. Those teachers in Singapore are also highly trained for teaching mathematics. So that math program will never fully capture "Singapore Math".

I LOVE Singapore Math so I do use it, but do not use that math program all on its own. 

There are some great memorization games. The easiest one I can send you off to look at is the Rightstart math games on Youtube. Easy to do at home or you can order just the math card games from the company (without buying the whole Rightstart Math program). There are also a ton of real world scenarios you could come up with through the week. 

tnt-manda
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:15 AM
I'm doing this with my ds who is 8, in the second grade. We are using Kumon, I like it it's more memory based, so I use manipulative to help him grasp the concept of grouping. So far so good.

He hates math by the way...
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Have you looked up living math. I use a combination of living math, teaching textbooks, and life of fred. Your might really enjoy life of fred. We do it with math journals and my son loves it.

Quoting paganbaby:

Some examples.

Sonny has 3 nerf guns. You have twice as many. How many guns do you have?

I'm at the store and see a 4 pack of rootbeer on sale. I buy 5 packs. How many cans of rootbeer will I have?

The best way for my son to do math is to put it in real world terms. If I write an equation on a peice of paper, he'll freak out and swear he can't do it. But if I make it like this, no problem. In fact he prefers to do the math in his head. He really doesn't like paper,lol.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting paganbaby:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN