Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Truth About Homeschooling - What Do You Think?

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM
  • 35 Replies
3 moms liked this

Just put this article together and I would really love to get some input in the comments.  It's titled the truth about home schooling and gives facts to combat some of those mis-conceptions I seem to hear so often...

http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/p/about-home-schooling.html

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Good to see you here.  :) I like your blog

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

That was very well put!

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

That's too funny, I was wondering if I'd come acros anyone from the fb group here.

Quoting Pukalani79:

Good to see you here.  :) I like your blog

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting usmom3:

That was very well put!

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Very well-stated.  I think a big misconception is that we homeschool for religious reasons.  I am a Christian, but that fact is usually not even on my list for why I homeschool.  They are incidental of one another.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Us too, but it didn't really play a part in our decision to home school.  Our daughter didn't make the birthday deadline to get into Kindergarten this year, but she's been reading since she was three and is just as mature as the other five year olds.  I wasn't going to hold her back another year just because she missed the deadline.  Her birthday is just a few days after mine and I also missed that same deadline growing up and hated that when I was a jr in high school I was 18 and all my other 18 year old friends were seniors and were graduating.  Irritates the fire out of me that they make no exceptions.  So that's our #1 reason for home schooling.  The fact that we're Christian and get to incorporate biblical lessons into the lessons is just a bonus :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Very well-stated.  I think a big misconception is that we homeschool for religious reasons.  I am a Christian, but that fact is usually not even on my list for why I homeschool.  They are incidental of one another.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

We decided to homeschool when our oldest was bullied about his lunches.  Even the bullying wasn't so bad, it was more like uninformed teasing by the other kids.  It was the teacher's reaction to it.  She told us to send "normal food" and he wouldn't be picked on about it.  For health reasons, my son is unable to eat much processed foods, so "normal" lunchables just didn't work for us.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Us too, but it didn't really play a part in our decision to home school.  Our daughter didn't make the birthday deadline to get into Kindergarten this year, but she's been reading since she was three and is just as mature as the other five year olds.  I wasn't going to hold her back another year just because she missed the deadline.  Her birthday is just a few days after mine and I also missed that same deadline growing up and hated that when I was a jr in high school I was 18 and all my other 18 year old friends were seniors and were graduating.  Irritates the fire out of me that they make no exceptions.  So that's our #1 reason for home schooling.  The fact that we're Christian and get to incorporate biblical lessons into the lessons is just a bonus :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this

That's messed up, I've heard lots of stories like that about teachers.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We decided to homeschool when our oldest was bullied about his lunches.  Even the bullying wasn't so bad, it was more like uninformed teasing by the other kids.  It was the teacher's reaction to it.  She told us to send "normal food" and he wouldn't be picked on about it.  For health reasons, my son is unable to eat much processed foods, so "normal" lunchables just didn't work for us.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:46 PM
That's awful that teachers wouldn't set those students straight. I volunteered in the cafeteria during little dd's 1st grade. One boy had Dora fruit snacks and some other boys started to pick on him. I squashed that fast! Not in a mean way of course. Same thing for a little girl who had 'ants on a log.' The other children didn't linger on it & just moved along to a nicer conversation.

Adults just don't realize what an impact, positive or negative, they can have on children. Teachers should use their power for good, not just shirk it off.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a nice blog. I like all the references to back up your statements too.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN